Two teens shot during Richmond church service

This is a discussion on Two teens shot during Richmond church service within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Two teens shot during Richmond church service (02-14) 17:53 PST RICHMOND -- Three young men with black sweatshirt hoods pulled over their heads walked into ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two teens shot during Richmond church service

(02-14) 17:53 PST RICHMOND -- Three young men with black sweatshirt hoods pulled over their heads walked into a packed church service in Richmond today, where one of them opened fire and wounded two teenagers sitting in the pews, police said.

The three suspects - who may have been juveniles - fled after the brash 12:30 p.m. attack at New Gethsemane Church of God in Christ, as the singing of the choir was replaced by frightened screams, said Richmond police Sgt. Bisa French.

The two victims, a 14-year-old boy and a 19-year-old man, were hospitalized and were expected to survive, French said.

A church deacon who was present during the shooting, Charles Miller, said one of the victims was struck in the leg and the other in the shoulder. It was not clear, both he and French said, whether they were intended targets.

Miller said some of the more than 120 church members who witnessed the shooting told him the suspects had paced up and down an aisle - apparently looking for one or more targets - before shooting the victims near the back of the church.

Church members "were going to ask them to remove their hoods" before the shooting, he said.

"I was listening to the choir and all of a sudden there was a 'pop pop pop pop pop,' " Miller said. "Everyone hit the floor. I didn't know the shooting was inside the church at first, until I heard all of the hollering and screaming."

The shooting, at 2100 Roosevelt Ave., comes amid a violent beginning to the year in Richmond, which has already recorded seven homicides. The city is still recovering from a violent gang rape outside a high school homecoming dance last year that made national headlines.

"Obviously it was a very brazen attack - in broad daylight during a church service," French said. "It's very unusual. You'd think a church is a safe place that people can go no matter what circumstances they have in their life or where they are in their life. After today, obviously not."

French said investigators were talking to witnesses in hopes that they would identify all three suspects.

Miller, 64, said he was deeply troubled by the shooting, which showed a lack of respect for his church and its members.

"It's terrible when you come to the house of the lord and start doing this," he said. "It's just something you don't do."

But after police emptied the church and processed the crime scene inside, Miller said, he and some of the congregants returned to finish services, which had begun at 11 a.m.

"We went on and had church anyway," Miller said. "We were giving thanks that nobody was killed. We wanted to go and serve the lord anyway."
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Savages.

...and now a few more people finally realize that churches are not safe from such crime.

Church is no safer in these United States than any place else.

Our nation has drifted to the point of little or no respect for the things of God or worship.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    Miller said some of the more than 120 church members who witnessed the shooting told him the suspects had paced up and down an aisle - apparently looking for one or more targets - before shooting the victims near the back of the church.
    Three teens with their hoods up pacing an aisle in a crowded church?

That might not inspire me to tackle anyone, but it would sure as HELL get my attention.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

And who said that there was no need to CCW in church...sad state of affairs.
    At least in FL, CCW is allowed in churches.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Richmond is a city in western Contra Costa County, and is located in the East Bay, part of the San Francisco Bay Area. It is a residential inner suburb of San Francisco. Along with some neighborhoods in Oakland, Richmond has a reputation for being one of the rougher parts of the Bay area.
    Any bets on it being gang-related?
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    And who said that there was no need to CCW in church...sad state of affairs.
    At least in FL, CCW is allowed in churches.
    It's legal in Richmond, CA too. But, unfortunately, that pretty close to the Bay area where all guns are considered bad.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

No matter how we wish to look at today reality is cold and complicated. In as much as I really want to not have to carry, I feel reality leaves me little to no choice. Otherwise like the most you I would be more than happy to to leave my weapons locked up at home until I go to the range. Having said that I pray each day not to have to draw and end another life, but if need be, I will put them to sleep. Today youth have no ideal the pain that fill your heart even when justifiably done of terminating a human life. For those of you who has not have to terminate another life, please believe me, it isn't a place you should wish or hope to be, trust me on this reality.

Ron
    OK, now I have asked this question before with varied answers, so will ask it again: Are we seeing more shootings lately as our society has become less civil, or is it that the media is simply publicizing them more?

Please, give this some serious thought, try not to simply give an anti Liberal media knee jerk response.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Video here.

but wait! I thought it was illegal
    - for teens to have handguns in the US
    - for people to carry concealed in CA without the sheriff's permission
    I thought these laws were supposed to prevent this kind of thing from happening! especially in California!? The golden state has some of the "best" gun laws in the nation. Surely this church must be in Vermont!

No? ... okay... so if you've been wondering what to tell the Sheriff as a possible reason to give you a CA permit, tell him you go to church!

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Are we seeing more shootings lately as our society has become less civil, or is it that the media is simply publicizing them more?
    False dichotomy; the answer is both. We have a less civil society, evidenced by a breakdown in marriages. We have more publicity for shootings because certain groups (Brady Campaign among them) make a point of getting them into the papers and onto TV. We also see more because the advent of multiple 24-hour news channels has turned reporting into entertainment. The top fiction shows on television include those which deal with sex and murder, generally better for ratings to have both -- and their actors carry (and shoot) handguns.
    1 UNDERCOVER BOSS non-fiction
    2 AMERICAN IDOL-TUESDAY non-fiction
    3 AMERICAN IDOL-WEDNESDAY non-fiction
    4 NCIS CBS 20,497,000
    5 SUNDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL non-fiction
    6 DANCING WITH THE STARS non-fiction
    7 NCIS: LOS ANGELES CBS 16,768,000
    8 THE MENTALIST CBS 16,642,000
    9 DANCING W/STARS RESULTS non-fiction
    10 CSI CBS 15,757,000

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    I must be getting old. I remember a time when churches WERE safe from crime.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    He said it shows a lack of respect. Now that's funny! So it's respectful to shoot those kids after church?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

I'm sure if the government were to ban all guns that they wouldn't have guns since they obey the law... oh wait...
    One of the most dangerous political philosophies afflicting America today is the belief that we canít allow anyone to suffer the natural consequences of their own stupidity.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links