Good: Man with samurai sword defends his dog against mtn. lion (CA)

This is a discussion on Good: Man with samurai sword defends his dog against mtn. lion (CA) within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The video report can be found here; Teen Kills Mountain Lion With Sword - ABC News Note: The right to bear arms covers _all_ arms ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good: Man with samurai sword defends his dog against mtn. lion (CA)

Good: Man with samurai sword defends his dog against mtn. lion (CA)

The video report can be found here; Teen Kills Mountain Lion With Sword - ABC News

Note: The right to bear arms covers _all_ arms and is not specific just to firearms.

The dog being property, and a being, itself had a right to defend it's own self AND it took action to defend it's owner using it's own available arms of claws & teeth.
    The mountain cat itself used it's arms as to the same end while attempting to predate upon the dog and/human as being armed with claws and teeth.
    The man took up arms via sword to defend his dog who had defended itself and it's owner, allowing the owner time to escape and choose to come back to defend his canine friend and property.

I point all of this out because of the people in this world who believe man does not have the right to bear arms, or that arms are only for police and military use.
    They are wrong just as by observation of the natural world and how most every being of any type alive current or past has been imbued with power and ability to bear arms of some manner for purpose of either defense and/or offense.
    Not to acknowledge and honor this right is to ignore nature, the same nature that those who are against very often also claim to be in support of as related to conservation and preservation be it fauna of flora.

- Janq

"Arms in the hands of citizens may be used at individual discretion, in private self-defense." - John Adams, Founding Father and President
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

2. Remove Ads

Anyone who kills a MOUNTAIN LION with a SWORD gets a handshake in my book.. wow

He did not say he killed it, but rather struck it in the upper shoulder to which it then ran off.

Why the news article title itself states "kills" I do not know or understand unless there is more to the tale that reamains unreported.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

That took a big 'set' to use a sword against such a challenging opponent, but I hope that there is not a wounded cougar roaming the countryside.

I would not have allowed my dog to go undefended either, but my choice would have been .45 rounds.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I have a reproduction set of swords, would love the "real" thing but I'd have to sell my firstborn and a gallon of blood to get one. They are just that expensive.

While they are reproductions, a Katana (long sword) and a Wakizashi (short sword) they are sharp and when weilded by someone who knows any technique, they can be quite deadly. I in fact would use the short sword (Wakizashi) in close quarter combat if I failed to get to my firearm. It would be lethal if I slashed the perp in the right places, ie carotid artery, femoral artery or any slash across the throat severing the windpipe. I know, I know, but who said sword fighting wasn't a bloody mess.

This guy did what was necessary to save his dog from a marauding mountain lion and in a pinch, a very effective weapon at that.

I give him a +100 on guts to confront that cat with a sword.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

VIP Member
    Major cajones on that kid!
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Note that the young man stated that he keeps the sword in his bedroom near his "bed for self-protection".
    Sad when you think of it in such a way.

I'd have comeback with a shotgun or rifle, if available at hand.

- Janq

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyBunny View Post
    No lie.....
    Tom
    Osculare pultem meam! - Kiss my grits!

I agree, he deserves a huge pat on the back. Next thing from you hear from that messed up state is.....Man get arrested for carrying a dangerous weapon in public after assaulting a mt. lion. lol Then peta will get involved, with those crazy pshyco animal lovers, trying to get him life in prison for hurting and killing that poor defenseless animal.
    lmao
    Last edited by rstickle; February 16th, 2010 at 09:04 AM. Reason: Language work around

I live not too far from this area. It turned out he fought off a large 'coon, not a puma.

Officials Say Fairfield Teen Fought Off Raccoon, Not Mountain Lion, With Sword - cbs5.com

!!! ^^

- Janq

Them Bull Coons get BIG ;-) Still it could have been rabbid : (
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyBunny View Post
    Mountain lion +1 for Major cajones

Racoon -1 for Twig and berries.

Big diffrence in two stories.

May turn out her fought off a hedgehog.

Send that kid a book on wildlife so he can properly identify animals.
    Still a angry Racoon with a sword is no party.

This is an excellent real world example of how peoples minds can and does play tricks on them as toward what they witness, what they think they witness and memory.

One of the reasons why in crimes witness accounts cannot always be taken as being literal and exact reflections of what actually occurred.

Witness this video and watch carefully.
    Keep your eye on the ball...

http://viscog.beckman.illinois.edu/flashmovie/15.php

...and then count the gorilla.

- Janq

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links