Gilbert man shoots at family dog after it bites his daughter in face

This is a discussion on Gilbert man shoots at family dog after it bites his daughter in face within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Gilbert man shoots at family dog after it bites his daughter in face by Nathan Gonzalez - Feb. 17, 2010 06:40 AM The Arizona Republic ...

Thread: Gilbert man shoots at family dog after it bites his daughter in face

by Nathan Gonzalez - Feb. 17, 2010 06:40 AM
    The Arizona Republic

A Gilbert man faces a felony weapons charge for shooting at his German shepherd after it bit his daughter in the face Sunday.
    Kevin Townsend, 49, was charged with one count of discharging a firearm within town limits, a class 6 felony.

The incident began about 5:46 p.m. when Townsend's 11-year-old daughter was in the family's backyard on the 2500 block of E. Via De Palmas, north of Riggs and Higley roads, Gilbert police said.

The dog bit the child on the face, and Townsend allegedly grabbed a gun. He fired "multiple shots" at the dog, but one bullet strayed and broke a window at a nearby house.

The girl was transported to Gilbert Mercy Hospital with non-life threatening injuries.

The dog was not harmed, but Townsend arranged for someone else to take it, said Sgt. Mark Marino, a police spokesman.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    ummmm.... that guy ever hear of an e-collar?

glad the kid is alright.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

If my dog bit my kid or anyone without justification I would shoot it. Not at it. I do not live in town. There is no danger of hitting a neighbor. This man made some bad descions out of anger. I hope the child wasn't around to wittness the father's behavior. The article did not state what led to the bite. If the dog will bite without justification giving it to someone else is just passing on a dangerous problem. I would just about bet there were some warning signs that could have prevented this.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

I'm lost....So he shot at his dog in an attempt to protect his daughter from further harm and he's being charged with a felony? What if it was a dog outside attacking elderly or a BG attackign his family? Is he going to be charged then too? ***?

More details needed on this one. At face value...I already don't like that town.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    I'm lost....So he shot at his dog in an attempt to protect his daughter from further harm and he's being charged with a felony? What if it was a dog outside attacking elderly or a BG attackign his family? Is he going to be charged then too? ***?

More details needed on this one. At face value...I already don't like that town.
    I think he's being charged due to the fact that stray round could of killed somebody,you are responsible for every round you fire,If you kill somebody trying to shoot the family dog that bit your kid is stupid,if you wanta put the dog down there are other ways,this guy grabbed a gun and started pumping rounds at a dog that was not a threat to him at the time
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    Glad the daughter is okay. Glad the dad is separated from firearms.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I think he's being charged due to the fact that stray round could of killed somebody,you are responsible for every round you fire,If you kill somebody trying to shoot the family dog that bit your kid is stupid,if you wanta put the dog down there are other ways,this guy grabbed a gun and started pumping rounds at a dog that was not a threat to him at the time
    +1 I type too SLOW
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Agreed. The Gilbert cops have a pretty fair view about personal self-defense and carrying weapons, and in 7 years here I've never heard of anyone being unjustly hassled. Chances are, if this guy had managed to put his dog down without slinging bullets irresponsibly, there would be no story at all.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Hm. There's a difference between suffering a bit then going hunting down the animal that did it, versus shooting to stop an actively-attacking animal.

With the description provided, this seems more of dishing up a penalty for having biting a person once, instead of shooting to stop an active attack.

And at least one of his shots entered another home.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevew View Post
    If my dog bit my kid or anyone without justification I would shoot it. Not at it. I do not live in town. There is no danger of hitting a neighbor. This man made some bad descions out of anger. I hope the child wasn't around to wittness the father's behavior. The article did not state what led to the bite. If the dog will bite without justification giving it to someone else is just passing on a dangerous problem. I would just about bet there were some warning signs that could have prevented this.
    Exactly my same thoughts...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

IMHO, this guy deserves the penalty he is about to suffer. He was not shooting to stop an attack, it was after the fact. A stray shot could have killed someone...he's an idiot, and I think it should cost him something ????? for his careless actions.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Yup, time is the big question.

If he shot at the dog while the dog was trying to injure the girl I think it would be legit to stop the dog with a gunshot (although stupid considering the urban nature and proximity to his daughters head!)

If some time passed and there was no imminent threat, then there is a problem.
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

After hearing numerous shots 1 day over a 20 min period , I called 911 and asked if they knew what was going on. They said the police were trying to shoot a skunk. I thought OMG, are they just bad shots ? ? Where are the bullets all going ?

After another 30 - 45 minutes of gun fire, I called 911 back and requested they ask the Police Chief (small town) if they wanted me to come over and shoot it .... it would only take me 1-2 shots, and it would have to be safer for the residents. She laughed.

If the dog was acting aggressively as if it may re-attack, I don't blame him for wanting to shoot the dog, but... get some range time. Deadly force can be used to prevent severe bodily harm or death, so I"m wondering if it wasn't just the one that hit the window... need more info I think.

Lots of speculation and very little info to go on. For all anyone know the girl was doing something to the dog for it to react. It sounds like at the time their was no emanate danger, key words are ''sounds like''.

If that's the case the guy clearly made a very stupid move. Being that he hit a neighbors window he deserves the charge. Even if you are in a self defense situation with a human you are accountable for every bullet that leaves your gun.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Links