Coroner's jury to review federal building shooting

This is a discussion on Coroner's jury to review federal building shooting within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35477899...-las_vegas_nv/ A coroner's jury is due to view graphic surveillance images of a shotgun-wielding assailant opening fire in a federal courthouse in downtown Las Vegas, ...

Thread: Coroner's jury to review federal building shooting

Coroner's jury to review federal building shooting

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35477899...-las_vegas_nv/

A coroner's jury is due to view graphic surveillance images of a shotgun-wielding assailant opening fire in a federal courthouse in downtown Las Vegas, killing a security guard and wounding a deputy U.S. marshal.

Jurors will decide during the Clark County coroner's inquest Friday whether the use of lethal force to repel the attack and kill the gunman on Jan. 4 was justified.

Police and the FBI have said 66-year-old Johnny Lee Wicks acted alone and was angry about losing a government lawsuit challenging a cut in his monthly Social Security benefits.

Authorities say Wicks fired five times, and security guards and marshals fired 81 shots.

Investigators say security images show Wicks killing security guard Stanley Cooper in the lobby of the Lloyd D. George Federal Courthouse.

HOW COULD IT NOT BE JUSTIFIED? THIS SHOULD NOT EVEN BE QUESTIONED IN MY OPINION.
    IF YOU STAY READY, YOU AIN'T GOT TO GET READY

2. Remove Ads

Note it does not say that the murder was hit 81 times.

good chance most rounds missed.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

This is just another insanity example of how we treat the criminal as opposed to the law enforcement. Apparently in Las Vegas cops live under the microscope and every action they do is questioned.

I'd say that the perp got exactly what he deserved when he decided to shoot and kill Mr. Cooper, but that's just my opinion.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Senior Moderator
    Nothing sinister or insane going on here - by law, a Coroner's Inquest is held for every LEO involved use of force resulting in death.

A Coroner Inquest is the fact-finding procedure that takes place anytime an individual dies at the hands of law enforcement. The purpose of this hearing is to publicly bring forth all of the details surrounding the incident causing this death, as described in Clark County Code 2.12. The panel of designated jurors hears the testimony of pertinent witnesses and, based on this information, reaches a verdict determining if the death was justifiable, excusable, or criminal.

Coroner Inquests
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Bingo. ^^

This is normal and standard procedure as related to an officer/LEO involved event, where the LEO(s) end up taking a human life.

Nothing to be upset about and it is not about treatment of the criminal.
    The criminal is _dead_ hence the reason for the inquest being called/required (!).

Move on folks, nothing to see here...

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I guess I didn't understand and got sidetracked when I saw the wording that JURORS WOULD DECIDE IF IT WAS JUSTIFIED. In my mind, it could be no question. Sorry if I riled anyone up.
    IF YOU STAY READY, YOU AIN'T GOT TO GET READY

I doubt if their coffe even drops a coupla degrees in temperature before they find the shooting was justified
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Yup, took them less than an hour to reach their verdict.

LAS VEGAS -- A coroner's jury has found that officers were justifiable in the shooting and killing of a man who opened fire in the federal courthouse in January.

Johnny Lee Wicks was shot dead near the front of the Lloyd George Federal Courthouse after he walked into the building and began shooting on January 4th. Wicks killed security officer Stanley Cooper and wounded a deputy U.S. Marshal.

Jurors, who watched the surveillance video from that day, reached their verdict in less than one hour.

Police and the FBI have said the 66-year-old Wicks acted alone and was angry about losing a government lawsuit challenging a cut in his monthly Social Security benefits. Authorities say Wicks fired five times, and security guards and marshals fired 87 shots. Wicks was hit by 14 bullets. Officers who shot at Wicks said he refused to give up.

"It looked like he was getting up and bringing the shotgun around toward us, so every time he moved, we fired around at him. He went down and tried to get up another two or three times and we fired," said Leonard Kaufman, court security officer.

In court, it was also revealed that Wicks had cut the barrel of his shotgun so that he could hide it under his coat as he entered the courthouse. He also had a bag of ammunition tied to his body.

Wicks fired five times, and security guards and marshals fired 87 shots. Wicks was hit by 14 bullets.
    Wow. 16% Hit.

Not saying I could do better. That's why my gun holds 15+1.

Makes me weary of wanting the PPS I hope to get tommorow or a revolver though.
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

Yeah, but unless you are LEO you don't have to chase the guy outside of the building, accross the street, corner him and stop him. You just need enough to get yourself out of the situation and to safety. These guys engaged in a running gun battle for quite some distance.

GM
    I do not see what is wrong here.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Quote Originally Posted by skot View Post
    Yeah, but unless you are LEO you don't have to chase the guy outside of the building, accross the street, corner him and stop him. You just need enough to get yourself out of the situation and to safety. These guys engaged in a running gun battle for quite some distance.
    This dirtbag had already killed one person, and he needed to be stopped...end of story.
    The job was satisfactorily completed.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Links