Man stabbed in Walmart parking lot in St. Marys, GA

This is a discussion on Man stabbed in Walmart parking lot in St. Marys, GA within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Don't know if it was posted, but it happened right across the street from where I live. I probably go to this Wal-Mart 3 or ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Man stabbed in Walmart parking lot in St. Marys, GA

Man stabbed in Walmart parking lot in St. Marys, GA

Don't know if it was posted, but it happened right across the street from where I live. I probably go to this Wal-Mart 3 or 4 times a week.

ST. MARYS, Ga. - A Lynchburg, Va., man is recovering from multiple stab wounds to the chest after he was attacked in the crowded parking lot of a St. Marys Walmart early Saturday night, police said.

Witnesses told police they saw three men chase the victim, Michael Shannon Grant, 39, in the parking lot at 6:14 p.m., throw him to the ground and punch him repeatedly.

One of the men stabbed Grant several times before two women who were with the attackers pulled him off the victim, said Lt. Johnny Guy, a St. Marys police detective.

After the attack, witnesses said the three men and two women ran through the parking lot and got into a white 2000 to 2005 Chevrolet Impala with a temporary Florida tag that began with the letter A. The vehicle had darkly tinted windows and possible front end damage, Guy said.

A witness applied pressure to the victim's wounds until emergency medical technicians arrived. Grant was flown by emergency medical helicopter to Shands Jacksonville where he was listed in good condition Monday, Guy said.

Grant told police he had recently moved to Jacksonville and apparently knew his attackers, Guy said.

Anyone with information that could help investigators is asked to call St. Marys police at (912) 882-4488.

Don't know if I would have interevened or not considering there were 3 men and 2 women involved, but it's certainly scary to think I could have easily been loading groceries when this happened.

2. Remove Ads

Not that far from me bout 60 miles south, I have been in that walmart many times. I think I would have tried to help.....if help means pointing my gun and yelling stop with all intentions to shoot if need be.
    You may not like guns. You may choose not to own one. That is your right.
    You might not believe in God. That is your choice.
    However, if someone breaks into your home at 3AM the first two things you are going to do are:
    1) Call someone with a gun.
    2)Pray they get there in time." - A wise man

I would of tried to help but I am only armed with a knife. So Cops get called first then knife comes out if they try to rush me.
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

Suprised that with all the Navy there that no one tried to help.
    However, if someone breaks into your home at 3AM the first two things you are going to do are:

???? If victim knew his attackers as stated in the article, why are they asking for tips from the public? What am I missing here? Ask the victim for his buddies names & addresses! Sounds fishy ... drug deal gone bad, or a soured love quadrangle?
    Asked by a CNN reporter "What do you feel when you shoot a terrorist"?, the Marine sniper simply shrugged & replied "recoil".

Now more than ever, we are at war on our home soil ... WAKE UP & arm our troops when they are on home soil!

Hard to say about getting involved. You really wouldn't have known who the bad guy was untill the knife came out.
    One of the most dangerous political philosophies afflicting America today is the belief that we canít allow anyone to suffer the natural consequences of their own stupidity.

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    when i was stationed there it was a pretty quiet place, but always worried about rifraff getting off 95 for gas
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

Heard from very reliable source that it was a drug deal gone bad and the victim was friends with the perps.

Distinguished Member
    With friends like that who needs enemies?

I wonder what the actual criminal statistics are for WalMart. Wouldn't surprise me if it were to turn out that a felonious assault occurs at some WalMart somewhere, at least once each day.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    I wonder what the actual criminal statistics are for WalMart. Wouldn't surprise me if it were to turn out that a felonious assault occurs at some WalMart somewhere, at least once each day.
    Somewhere in the last year or so, I saw a stat about over 1 million crimes in Wal-Mart a year. Can't find that. But, did find this...

Wal-Mart Crime Reports

WakeUpWalMart.com Releases First National Wal-Mart Crime Study - "Is Wal-Mart Safe?"
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Jax is one of Florida's "extra mag" towns. I live only 90 minutes away, and on the occasions that we travel there, we are extremely cautious.

We all talk about what we'd do if we saw something like this happening, but what about this victim's decision not to prepare for his own defense? Many of the hate weapons, but when attacked, expect those with arms to come to their assistance.
    Me? I'll just use my phone and dial 911. (There are some exceptions to my normal procedure...)
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Wait, they put a Wal Mart in St. Mary's? I used to live there. Went to school there for a short period also. Must have grown up quite a bit since I left there.

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Jax is one of Florida's "extra mag" towns. I live only 90 minutes away, and on the occasions that we travel there, we are extremely cautious.

We all talk about what we'd do if we saw something like this happening, but what about this victim's decision not to prepare for his own defense? Many of the hate weapons, but when attacked, expect those with arms to come to their assistance.
    Me? I'll just use my phone and dial 911. (There are some exceptions to my normal procedure...)
    Have you been in Fort Lauderdale and Miami area lately? I should say that they belong to the "extra mag and extra gun" category.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Quote Originally Posted by DIXIETWISTER View Post
    Suprised that with all the Navy there that no one tried to help.
    Sailors (and Marines)or no......that was a vicious attack and, like anywhere else, most are unarmed. The speed of the attack probley negated any 'real' response' from those close by.

I'm one of those St. Marys sailors, although I was underway at the time, who frequents that very Wally World. My family is in there twice as much as I am. I'm somewhat unsure of what my actions would be if I'd been present during that particular incident. I'd certinally would have kept my family clear and called it in. Any time, any where.

....and yeah, the victim knew his attackers......had been doing drugs with his attackers all day prior to them 'loseing thier temper' at him. I got that tidbit from a depudy buddy of mine after I got back home.

Retsupt's right, J'ville has become a 'two mag' tow, and we're only a hop, skip, and a jump from there.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links