Bad Roanoke Times Editorial

Bad Roanoke Times Editorial

This is a discussion on Bad Roanoke Times Editorial within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Short takes - Roanoke.com The lone wolves have emerged Last spring, conservatives were in an uproar over a Department of Homeland Security report that warned ...

Thread: Bad Roanoke Times Editorial

VIP Member

Thumbs down Bad Roanoke Times Editorial

Short takes - Roanoke.com

The lone wolves have emerged

Last spring, conservatives were in an uproar over a Department of Homeland Security report that warned homegrown, right-wing extremists could commit terrorist acts within the United States. Nearly a year later, that report appears to have been very prescient.

The report, "Rightwing Extremism: Current Economic and Political Climate Fueling Resurgence in Radicalization and Recruitment," particularly identified "lone wolves" as potential dangers.

Conservatives wailed that the report unfairly singled them out. The more conspiratorial-minded saw it as justification for a government crackdown on dissent.

In retrospect, they had nothing to fear. If anything, the right wing today is more vocal than it has been in a generation, thanks to the Tea Parties.

Yet DHS was right. Since last spring, there have been several lone wolves fueled by racism and anti-government ideology.

In Pittsburgh, a gunman killed three police officers.

In Washington, a white supremacist killed a guard at the Holocaust Museum.

In Austin this week, a man whose anti-tax, anti-government views dated back decades, flew a plane into Internal Revenue Service offices.

Even Southwest Virginia felt the sting when a gunman in December took hostages at the Wytheville Post Office.

Someone owes DHS an apology.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

I guess they didn't read the manifesto. Nothing in there suggests this nutjob was "right wing." Quite the contrary. Unless the media is completely absorbed in the narrative that ANY opposition to ANY government policy makes one an "anti-government right wing extremist," the editorial makes no sense.

And still no mention of the left-wing extremist Dr. Amy Bishop....

...as opposed to those inner-city hip-hop rap-crap drug thugs and gangstahs who lurk and prey and roam through no fault of their own?

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    I recall veterans being the most upset by the report because it implied they were some sort of highly trained would be terrorist wacko recruits...

Lots of terrible things happened before the report too. Shall we blame the report for those incidents as well? Let's blame the Civil War on the report! After all, the south was a bunch of "right-wing extremists could commit terrorist acts within the United States".

Odd the editorial missed the George Tiller murder... it is not even well researched.
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Agenda.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Quote Originally Posted by nutz4utwo View Post
    I recall veterans being the most upset by the report because it implied they were some sort of highly trained would be terrorist wacko recruits...

Lots of terrible things happened before the report too. Shall we blame the report for those incidents as well? Let's blame the Civil War on the report! After all, the south was a bunch of "right-wing extremists could commit terrorist acts within the United States".

Odd the editorial missed the George Tiller murder... it is not even well researched.
    The report isn't to blame for any act, and I don't think anyone is implying such. A lot of us had issues with the report because it did nothing but serve a political agenda and proved, in my opinion, that DHS is ignoring the 800 lb gorillas in the room. Namely, Islamic extremism within our own borders.

Lastly, I think you're a bit confused on your history regarding the War Between the States. Unless, of course, you blindly subscribe to the same meme in the media today, that being the idea ANY opposition to ANY government policy or action makes one "right wing." If that's the case, then the Bolsheviks were a bunch of right wing nutjobs, as were the Colonists, ditto for the Nazis, likewise with Che Guevara and Fidel Castro, and so on.

Wow, just saw this protest:

Moe Lane Pitchforks, torches now acceptable for political demonstrations.

They're using real pitchforks and torches, which is clearly a threat of violence aimed at the target of the protest. Will these Teabagging right wing nutjobs stop at nothing in their zeal to hurt those with which they disagree?

Oh, sorry, my bad. These were lefties protesting private businesses. Move along...nothing to see here. Extremism and violence by the populist masses SUPPORTING more oppressive government is acceptable. Sorry for the interruption. We can get back to slamming the usual bogeymen now.

Yet DHS was right. Since last spring, there have been several lone wolves fueled by racism and anti-government ideology.
    There have always been lone wolves fueled by their biases and ideology. There always will be. Whether it's a religion, governance, the environment, or hygiene trends that anger them.

Yet there are hundreds of thousands of hard-core, career criminals bent on violence against innocents. Let alone the large threats.

But we're to fear the lone wolves and accept the career violent criminals as the norm. Hm.

When will the law enforcement / threat enforcement leadership pull the finger out, exactly?
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Their editorial process???

Lets see: 1) There are 300 MILLION citizens in America. 2) Things are going to happen. 3) Lets find a couple (never mind if there is any evidence to support any connection) 4) Then lets claim big brother's justification is justified.

Be sure to leave out the liberal, Harvard educated, woman prof. who killed 3 people in Alabama.

Let's find someone to hold a sťance to contact the pilot to ask him what his political views were. His view of the IRS was documented, but not his voting preference.

Hey it's close enough. Print it.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

I think half of Virginia would like the Roanoke Times to act on their liberal ideals instead of spewing them meanlessly: Stop printing to save paper and the rainforest.

No doubt....I think Dan Casey is read by more people OUTSIDE VA than in. Whenever I get his insipid columns sent to me, I can't wait to send them to all my friends outside the Commonwealth. He's exhibit B in the pantheon of hysterical, anti-gun zealots, right behind Bloomberg. Roanoke is somewhat of an anomaly in VA...a blue stronghold in a red area. Bless their hearts.

Quote Originally Posted by Holger View Post
    The report isn't to blame for any act, and I don't think anyone is implying such. A lot of us had issues with the report because it did nothing but serve a political agenda and proved, in my opinion, that DHS is ignoring the 800 lb gorillas in the room. Namely, Islamic extremism within our own borders.

Lastly, I think you're a bit confused on your history regarding the War (Between the States) of Northern Aggression. Unless, of course, you blindly subscribe to the same meme in the media today, that being the idea ANY opposition to ANY government policy or action makes one "right wing." If that's the case, then the Bolsheviks were a bunch of right wing nutjobs, as were the Colonists, ditto for the Nazis, likewise with Che Guevara and Fidel Castro, and so on.
    Here, I fixed it for you.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Sponsored Links