Bad : Another Bar Shooting

Bad : Another Bar Shooting

This is a discussion on Bad : Another Bar Shooting within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; My opinion is to change the name of Huntington to Dodge City. This makes the third or forth bar or club shooting in the last ...

Thread: Bad : Another Bar Shooting

Thumbs down Bad : Another Bar Shooting

My opinion is to change the name of Huntington to Dodge City. This makes the third or forth bar or club shooting in the last six months or so. This place however has been a den of iniqity for quite some time, and Huntington being a college town with Marshall University, has a few "outsiders". Also the Detroit drug selling folk are also present and accounted for and they frequent these places as well.

This is the sole reason why I no longer have the desire to go to any bar or club. Apparently, you get shot and strangely enough, I'm highly allergic to random gunfire.

3 injured in bar shooting
    February 20, 2010 @ 06:58 AM

The Herald-Dispatch

HUNTINGTON, WV — Three people were shot inside a Huntington bar around 2:45 a.m. Saturday.

A release from the Huntington Police Department’s Criminal Investigation Bureau stated that an altercation began on the dance floor of Club Venom, located in 1100 block of 4th Avenue. During the altercation, one individual pulled a handgun was pulled and fired multiple shots into the crowd.

Three people were struck by bullets, including two men and one woman. Their identities are not being released, but police said they are not from Huntington.

The release said they are being treated at Cabell Huntington Hospital for injuries to their lower extremities. The injuries are not considered life threatening.

Investigators are conducting interviews to identify those responsible, and the Forensic Services Unit was on scene to collect any physical evidence that might be available.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Morons.
    Sig 226, 228. Glock 19, 23. Smith Model 60,and 1911. XD45 Tactical. Mossberg 930 SPX.

How we behave as gun owners is important. Posturing and threatening does not serve us well in the public eye.

Stories like this is why people scream ''no carry where alcohol is served''.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

2:45AM in a bar in that envoirnment .. what can go wrong?

I'm sure that these shooters ignored many laws, and making more laws only effects the honest folks.
    Morooons shooting marooon...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    Stories like this is why people scream ''no carry where alcohol is served''.
    No doubt the shooter in this case, nor none of the other prior, were carrying legally by any stretch of the imagination.

Meanwhile here in MA where bar and other alcohol/spirits distribution type centers are legal for carry no news to report of anything in specific relation to shooters as by lawfully licensed and permitted carry persons...Including Me, Myself and I.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    No doubt the shooter in this case, nor none of the other prior, were carrying legally by any stretch of the imagination.

Meanwhile here in MA where bar and other alcohol/spirits distribution type centers are legal for carry no news to report of anything in specific relation to shooters as by lawfully licensed and permitted carry persons...Including Me, Myself and I.

- Janq
    I sure you are right but the anti gun crowd doesn't use facts when they slam us. You know the way the media reports the incidents, biased and facts omitted.

It's like areas where gun ownership is high, crime is lower, we seldom see that in print. Any way to sensationalize an incident to further their cause and sell news.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Mic
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I'm sure that these shooters ignored many laws, and making more laws only effects the honest folks.
    Morooons shooting marooon...
    Amen brother, that sums it up prety good.
    Timid people sleep peacefully at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Molôn Labé!

To sum this up, I live in town, and it didn't used to be this way. I have frequented places such as these in my youth and we never thought of solving anything with a firearm. Stupid fist fights and the occasional pulling of a pocket knife, but no guns. Most of us didn't want trouble, we just wanted to party.

Nintey-nine percent of our industry left years ago and if it weren't for Marshall University, the city of Huntington would be of no use to West Virginia. The job market is slim and now we have a major drug problem that in the past was minimal.

Not to sound like I am profiling, but we have an assortment of out-of-state drug dealing "gansta" types who pose the greatest threat. Most of them drive cars with Michigan plates and hail from the Detroit metro area. Occasionally, a few from Columbus, OH and other larger cities nearby. Combine that with diverse folks attenting M.U. and the local "wannabe" ganster types and there you have it. A recipie for disaster.

The bars attract a clientele that just reeks of trouble. If I have to go to a bar packin' heat, then why? Just asking for something bad to happen. There is no answer to it, because the Huntington Police Dept. are so de-moralized from our last city administration, they seldom want to do anything about the dealers, even when they know who they are and even when seeing them deal.

The guys sell their crack, heroin, pot or whatever to get cash that flows out of Huntington to other places to purchase guns for the gansters. No kidding. This is why we believe Huntington is ripe for the picking because of lucrative drug market, little to no law enforcement and the ease of making a fast buck.

Sad to say, I will probably be able to post more shooting stories unless someone can come up with a plan to at least put a dent into the situation.

No doubt there were laws broken and ignored. However, that does not negate the fact that alcohol and gunpowder do not mix.
    I continue to support laws that either prohibit drinking while carrying, or make bars off limits while carrying.

Regards,
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
    No doubt there were laws broken and ignored. However, that does not negate the fact that alcohol and gunpowder do not mix.
    I continue to support laws that either prohibit drinking while carrying, or make bars off limits while carrying.

Regards,
    Jerry
    I can get behind not drinking and carrying, but the making "bars" off limits thing bothers me. What, exactly, is a bar? What's the definition? Just a watering hole, or a restaurant that serves alcohol? What percentage has to come from alcohol or food? TGIFriday's has a bar...can I not go there for lunch or dinner with my family without carrying? Some Pizza Huts even serve beer. Should those be off limits? I think I even read there's a Burger King that serves beer now somewhere. Off limits? Again, it all depends on how (and who!) defines "bar." You know certain state legislatures will seek to define "bar" as any place you can buy a drink within 50 square miles of, even if it's not in the same building. That's why I'm pretty supportive of being allowed to carry in 'bars.'

Stupid people, in stupid places, doing stupid things, and reaping stupid results.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Update on Bar Shooting

Club shooting raises security questions - The Herald Dispatch

Three people received gunshot wounds at Venom nightclub early Saturday morning at approximately 2:45 a.m.

CURTIS JOHNSON

The Herald-Dispatch

HUNTINGTON,WV -- A shooting that injured three at a downtown nightclub over the weekend puts a light on a city problem that needs resolution, according to one city official.

Two students from West Virginia State University and a 20-year-old woman from South Point, Ohio, were injured during a 2:45 a.m. shooting Saturday at Club Venom in the 1100 block of 4th Avenue in Huntington. Robert Turbeville, a sophomore linebacker for the Yellowjackets football team, remained hospitalized in fair condition Monday. Darin Draine, 22, of Institute, W.Va., and Kaitlin Marcum, 20, of South Point, Ohio, were treated and released Saturday.

As of Monday afternoon, no arrests had been made in connection with the shooting. The suspect is described as a light skinned black male, between 5-feet-8-inches and 5-feet-10-inches tall and weighs between 140 to 160 pounds. He was wearing a white polo-type shirt with dreadlocks in his hair.

The shooting is the latest example of nightclub violence, which City Councilman Mark Bates said Monday needs to be addressed by city officials. Bates said the city has been "stagnant" in its response to nightclub violence since a similar shooting injured three and led to police killing one at Club Babylon in November 2009. Club Babylon was located in the 800 block of 4th Avenue.

After that shooting, city officials revived talk of a possible bar moratorium in the downtown area, but dropped the idea after the city attorney said state law prohibited the city from doing that.

"The problem is not going to go away, and we've got to do something about it," Bates said. "I really think we need some leadership on this from the administrative point of view. They are going to have to step in and try to do this. I don't think council can do this all on our own."

Bates asked Huntington Mayor Kim Wolfe and his administration for help in revisiting the idea of some kind of bar moratorium during the council's Monday night meeting. Wolfe did not comment on the bar moratorium issue during the meeting.

Huntington Police Sgt. John Williams said officers believed Saturday morning's gunshots followed a slight altercation on the dance floor. Detectives had received very little information as of Monday morning. Anyone with information should contact 304-696-4420.

Draine and Turbeville traveled to Huntington separately, but Draine said they were among a group of West Virginia State students celebrating at the club.

Draine believed he was the intended target of the shooting. He was walking to the side of the dance floor when another man approached. Draine recalled that person said, "My boys are in here." Draine asked, "What does that mean?" to which the man responded, "Get your boys, and calm them down."

Draine said he shoved the other man once that person got into his face. Draine said the other man then recovered his balance, grabbed a gun from his waist and fired.

Marcum was standing at the back of the nightclub when the sound of gunfire reaffirmed her concern about going to clubs downtown. The frequency of her visits had slowed with news reports of violence in the area. She made an exception for her friend's birthday, which was unrelated to the West Virginia State gathering.

"I heard boom, boom, boom, and I just started running," she said. "I wasn't even involved. I didn't know anything that was going on. I was just an innocent person."

The Huntington Police Department has increased its presence in the area on busy nights. It also attends an annual meeting with bar owners to discuss safety and compliance. Talk also has included placing surveillance cameras along 4th Avenue.

High-profile incidents at Club Babylon and Club Venom follow a July 2008 shooting that took the life of former Marshall University football player Donte Newsome. Those shots were fired outside of Fluid, then located in the 600 block of 4th Avenue.

Bates said he recognized problems are isolated to a minority of nightclubs, but he said violence at those establishments can tarnish the public's view of safety downtown.

Bates and Marcum both spoke of a need for increased security measures. Bates said he could support requiring nightclubs with a certain occupancy to use metal detectors or wands to check people for guns before they enter a club. Marcum noticed men were patted down this past weekend as they entered Club Venom, but the women were not.

"They need metal detectors everywhere," she said. "It would prevent this from happening."

Williams agreed. He was unsure how the gun involved in Saturday's shooting passed by security, but he said clubs choosing to take preventative action must apply it to every customer to enhance effectiveness.

"If you have a flaw in the system, surely somebody is going to take advantage of that flaw to get (a gun) in if they really want," he said. "There is just an element that will be present in a bar in any situation, add alcohol and that compounds the problem ... You've just got to be aware of where trouble happens and guide yourself accordingly."

Club Venom owner John Dave Flowers did not return a telephone message seeking comment Monday, but state spokesman Gig Robinson said Flowers immediately surrendered the club's license to serve alcohol. The state Alcohol Beverage Control Administration will follow with an administrative investigation, Robinson said.

The spokesman said having an alcohol license is a privilege given to applicants, who pass background checks and satisfy other requirements of state code. Approved establishments are presumed safe until something occurs, such as a shooting.

That is when the ABCA suspends the club's license to investigate whether the licensee or its employees were connected to the event, escalated the situation or could have done anything to prevent it from happening. Any reinstated license often includes an improvement plan, some of which include agreements to improve lighting and use metal detectors. Otherwise, Robinson said the ABCA has no legal authority to require such preventative action.

Robinson estimates those licensed to serve alcohol in West Virginia employ 40,000 people. Those people work at hotels, restaurants, nightclubs and other establishments adding to the economic vitality of the state.

"We need to be very careful not to punish all licensees because of the misfortune or incident occurring at one," he said.

Williams said solving such crimes depends on available information. He estimated five of the 100 patrons from Saturday provided information. He called that "poor." He said many people do not feel a civic obligation to give police information.

"We don't have a crystal ball," he said. "Not only does it put others at risk when these people aren't taken off the street, but sometimes individuals who do this are involved in a number of shootings."

The ABCA database listed Club Venom by its former name, Freaky Tiki, upon review Monday. Robinson said establishments are supposed to update any change in name. He called this instance to be uncommon.

GM
    Yup, morons is the right word!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Sponsored Links