BAD: Shreveport Louisiana

This is a discussion on BAD: Shreveport Louisiana within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I'm not sure if this has been posted/discussed already. Sorry if it has. I found this on the military blog "A soldiers Perspective." Welcome to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BAD: Shreveport Louisiana

BAD: Shreveport Louisiana

I'm not sure if this has been posted/discussed already. Sorry if it has. I found this on the military blog "A soldiers Perspective."
    Welcome to Shreveport: Your rights are now suspended | A Soldier's Perspective

By Dudley Brown
    Executive Director
    National Association for Gun Rights

According to Cedric Glover, mayor of Shreveport, Louisiana, his cops "have a power that [. . .] the President of these Unites States does not have": His cops can take away your rights.

And would you like to guess which rights he has in mind?

Just ask Shreveport resident Robert Baillio, who got pulled over for having two pro-gun bumper stickers on the back of his truck — and had his gun confiscated.

While the officer who pulled him over says Baillio failed to use his turn signal, the only questions he had for Baillio concerned guns: Whether he had a gun, where the gun was, and if he was a member of a pro-gun organization.

No requests for a driver's licence, proof of insurance, or vehicle registration — and no discussion of a turn signal.

Accordingly, Baillio told the officer the truth, which led the police officer to search his car without permission and confiscate his gun.

However, not only does Louisiana law allow residents to drive with loaded weapons in their vehicles, but Mr. Baillio possessed a concealed carry license!

What does such behavior demonstrate, other than transparent political profiling — going so far as to use the infamous Department of Homeland Security report on "Americans of a rightwing persuasion" as a how-to guidebook, no less?

Mr. Baillio made no secret of his political affiliations: An American flag centers a wide flourish of pro-freedom stickers and decals on his back windshield.

In fact, when Baillio asked the officer if everyone he pulls over gets the same treatment, the officer said no and pointed to the back of his truck.

Baillio phoned Mayor Glover to complain about this "suspension of rights" only to find that his city's morbidly obese "commander in chief" was elated at the story: According to Glover, Baillio got "served well, protected well, and even got a consideration that maybe [he] should not have gotten."

Thankfully, Mr. Baillio recorded a good bit of that phone call. You can watch a video with the transcriptions here. I've reproduced a chunk of the call below:

Baillio: (in the context of being asked about the presence of a gun) Well, I answered that question honestly, and he disarmed me.

Glover: Which would be an appropriate and proper action, sir. The fact that you gave the correct answer — it simply means that you did what it is you were supposed to have done, and that is to give that weapon to the police officer so he could appropriately place it in a place where it would not be a threat to you, to him, or to anyone in the general public.

[. . .]

Glover: My direction to you is that, had you chosen not to properly identify the fact that you had a weapon and directed that officer to where that weapon was located; had you been taken from the vehicle, and the officer, in the interest of his safety, chose to secure you in a safe position, and then looked, found, and determined that you did, in fact, have a weapon…then, sir, you would have faced additional, [inaudible], and more severe criminal sanctions.

Baillio: So what you're saying is: I give up all my rights to keep and bear arms if I'm stopped by the police: Is that correct?

Glover: Sir, you have no right, when you have been pulled over by a police officer for a potential criminal offense [which would be what?! - DB] to stand there with your weapon at your side in your hand [Baillio's weapon was nowhere near his side or his hand, and Glover knew that. - DB] because of your second amendment rights, sir. That does not mean at that point your second amendment right has been taken away; it means at that particular point in time, it has been suspended.

Will Grigg from ProLibertate, an excellent freedom blog, has this to say:

According to Glover, a police officer may properly disarm any civilian at any time, and the civilian's duty is to surrender his gun — willingly, readily, cheerfully, without cavil or question.

From Glover's perspective, it is only when firearms are in the hands of people other than the state's uniformed enforcers/oppressors that they constitute a threat, not only to the public and those in charge of exercising official violence but also to the private gun owner himself.

NAGR spoke with Mr. Baillio, and he told us that he's in the process of securing the official procedures and codes for firearm handling and private property confiscation for the Shreveport police department.

So far, the city has been half-heartedly cooperating with him.

"I felt sick," Baillio told NAGR. "My uncles didn't die for this country so I could surrender my rights like a wimp. I felt terrible. I was just thinking of all that my family has done for freedom in this nation — including dying — and here they are disarming me at a traffic stop."
    Can cops do this? I fear I'm hearing to many disappointing stories about what our police officers are being asked to do this days. Even worse, is anybody asking them to do it?
    "If it ain't a mess, it'll do till the mess gets here."
    -Sheriff Bell, No Country for Old Men

2. Remove Ads

Wonder what weapons he's gonna buy with his check from Shreveport.

Sounds like Hazard County with Boss Hog & Rosco P Coletrain ; ) PS I hope this
    fellow gets a lawyer & BANKRUPS the town
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

I thought that the Gestapo died with Germany's loss in the war?
    Have there been any follow-up stories with this incident?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Here in Tx it is up to the officers discretion whether or not they secure your weapon during a traffic stop etc.I have been stopped twice,Informed the officer I was carrying and neither time was I disarmed
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Although Louisiana has made progress, it is not a good state to encounter LEO for any reason. Years ago,you were at their mercy,more or less. There are a lot of swamps in the state.

VIP Member
    Sounds like we should give louisiana back to the French,

Starting with shrevepork.
    what a hole
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Thats crazy, seems like thru FOIA they could get the dashcam video if he had one, if the cop pointed at the stickers like he said, man 1st and 2nd amendment mean nothing to this cop....wonder what is sixtos take on this one.
    You may not like guns. You may choose not to own one. That is your right.
    You might not believe in God. That is your choice.
    However, if someone breaks into your home at 3AM the first two things you are going to do are:
    1) Call someone with a gun.
    2)Pray they get there in time." - A wise man

Quote Originally Posted by hogdaddy View Post
    Sounds like Hazard County with Boss Hog & Rosco P Coletrain ; ) PS I hope this
    fellow gets a lawyer & BANKRUPS the town
    H/D
    +1 Keep us Informed
    Kimber Ultra Carry 2
    Kimber Eclipse Target 2
    Kahr PM9 (wife's edc)
    Kahr PM45, Glock 19 (3rd Gen) & DiamondBack DB9
    NRA Life Member

We all know how things can be exaggerated and made to be inflammatory on the internet.

I'm having a hard time distinguishing what's real, in this case's claimed facts. Was the sidearm merely temporarily controlled during the stop and then returned at the end of the stop, or was it taken? That horrible article simply doesn't make it crystal clear, at least to me.

If the situation was a taking of property, if as described by the news ...

Quote Originally Posted by Impetus View Post
    When pulled over for a] ... turn signal, the only questions he had for Baillio concerned guns: Whether he had a gun, where the gun was, and if he was a member of a pro-gun organization.

... the police officer to search his car without permission and confiscate[d] his gun.
    Can cops do this?
    Able? Yes, they are.

Allowed? So far as I know, absolutely NOT.

Quite simply, unless someone is an immediate violent threat to others or a known criminal (ie, wanted on warrants), then it is absolutely unacceptable that a person's rights are ignored and his property taken merely because the car being ridden/driven has a sticker or two.

This is stealing a person's right to not be ground into the mud as a result of political bias and breaking the blood oath taken to uphold and defend the constitution. This goes against the 4A and 1A of the Constitution. Who knows how many additional state/federal statutes and regulations in the officer's agency are violated in such a scenario.

Both the 4A and 1A were created to halt exactly this sort of jack-booted assault from being perpetrated against citizens. Being thuggered and buggered at the point of a gun (essentially) is exactly what the 4A was supposed to disallow.

The real question is: is the scenario true. Only witnesses and/or confessions will alter the he-said / she-said nature of this. Which is a lesson in reality for all of us.

If the situation was essentially only a controlling of a firearm at a stop, then it comes down to the 4A and the citizen's following of officer's demands to the present the firearm or failure to follow demands to present the firearm.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    We all know how things can be exaggerated and made to be inflammatory on the internet.

I'm having a hard time distinguishing what's real, in this case's claimed facts. Was the sidearm merely temporarily controlled during the stop and then returned at the end of the stop, or was it taken?
    It was returned at the end of the stop. This probably happened close to a year ago, it's old news here.
    Kimber Pro TLE II (EDC)
    Bersa Thunder .380 (EDC)
    Sig Sauer P226
    Bushmaster XM15-E2S
    Winchester Model 70 .270

Quote Originally Posted by metallic View Post
    It was returned at the end of the stop.
    Ah. I couldn't make it out from the "spaghetti noodles" of a story, there. Hard to follow.
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by DIXIETWISTER View Post
    Thats crazy, seems like thru FOIA they could get the dashcam video if he had one, if the cop pointed at the stickers like he said, man 1st and 2nd amendment mean nothing to this cop....wonder what is sixtos take on this one.
    Ask and you shall receive. Robert Baillio Stop Dash Cam Video.
    Kimber Pro TLE II (EDC)
    Bersa Thunder .380 (EDC)
    Sig Sauer P226
    Bushmaster XM15-E2S
    Winchester Model 70 .270

Question

Ask and you shall receive. Robert Baillio Stop Dash Cam Video.
    That's a video, but it's not identified as being of this stop.

It's also a clip, not a full video, thus all Q&A following the asking of whether the citizen is in the NRA isn't seen.

The claim is that the citizen got pulled over "for having two pro-gun bumper stickers." But when asked for the purpose of being pulled over, the reply was for failure to signal (which is common enough).

And yet, the only question related to them was whether he was a member of the NRA. The officer seemed fine with the reply, to which he answered/mumbled "that's fine," or "that's good" (though I could not quite catch it, given the muddy quality of the clip).

The implication is abuse of power, bias over having seen the stickers, stopping the car due to their being pro-gun stickers, and suspension of constitutional rights. Yet, it doesn't seem to be, at least in the 1:11mins of the clip, anything other than a typical stop.

I'm assuming those who are making the claim in the original write-up had the full dash camera video as corroboration, instead of just the clip?
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    That's a video, but it's not identified as being of this stop.

It's also a clip, not a full video, thus all Q&A following the asking of whether the citizen is in the NRA isn't seen.

The claim is that the citizen got pulled over "for having two pro-gun bumper stickers." But when asked for the purpose of being pulled over, the reply was for failure to signal (which is common enough).

And yet, the only question related to them was whether he was a member of the NRA. The officer seemed fine with the reply, to which he answered/mumbled "that's fine," or "that's good" (though I could not quite catch it, given the muddy quality of the clip).

The implication is abuse of power, bias over having seen the stickers, stopping the car due to their being pro-gun stickers, and suspension of constitutional rights. Yet, it doesn't seem to be, at least in the 1:11mins of the clip, anything other than a typical stop.

I'm assuming those who are making the claim in the original write-up had the full dash camera video as corroboration, instead of just the clip?
    That's because it was nothing more than a typical stop. The cops around here are conservative and pro-gun, just like the population at large, which makes the allegations that the stop was politically motivated ridiculous. There's another video out there of the dash cam footage that I'll try to find later tonight, but it doesn't really show much more if I recall correctly.

EDIT: Most of the ruckus is over a recording of a call made by Mr. Baillio to Mayor Glover over being disarmed during the stop and has nothing to do with the dash cam footage. That came out a little bit after the call recording was released on the internet.
    Kimber Pro TLE II (EDC)
    Bersa Thunder .380 (EDC)
    Sig Sauer P226
    Bushmaster XM15-E2S
    Winchester Model 70 .270

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links