Texas: Man Fatally Shoots Intruder

This is a discussion on Texas: Man Fatally Shoots Intruder within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Texas: Man Fatally Shoots Intruder Houston, Texas February 17, 2010 Houston police said a 23-year-old man tried to break through a window to get into ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Houston, Texas

February 17, 2010

Houston police said a 23-year-old man tried to break through a window to get into a home on Blueberry Lane near Bluegrass Street at about 9:30 a.m.
    Investigators said the homeowner woke up, grabbed his shotgun and fired shots as the man was going through the window.
    “The homeowner was awakened by breaking glass and the movement of a dresser in the front window,” said M.F. Waters of HPD Homicide.
    “I was walking by and heard ‘boom, boom, boom,’ and saw a guy fall out of the window,” witness Shern Scott said.

The intruder fell out of the window into the yard and died, officials said. His family identified him as Roosevelt Jackson Jr.
    Jackson’s pastor said he joined a local church three weeks ago and a Bible study group prayed for positive changes in his life.
    “Little did we know this would happen today,” Pastor T. Preston said.
    Family and friends described the homeowner as distraught after the shooting.
    “It’s going to change his life. I don’t think he’s ever going to be the same,” neighbor Elizabeth Moody “He’s a good person. He’ll imitate anyone and make you laugh. He’s a character. You would like him, too.”
    The case will be referred to a Harris County grand jury without charges.
    -------------------------------------------------------------

Sounds like a 'positive' change to me...for society...one less dirtbag breaking into people's homes.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Jackson’s pastor said he joined a local church three weeks ago and a Bible study group prayed for positive changes in his life.
    He may have joined the church, but he evidently didn't repent and change his ways.

Sorry for the home owner having to live with it, but he didn't have much choice.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

“I was walking by and heard ‘boom, boom, boom,’ and saw a guy fall out of the window,” witness Shern Scott said.

I just love it.

Another home invasion in Houston that ended in victory for the home owner.

There seem to be a lot these events in Houston.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

VIP Member
    Too bad he didn't learn anything in those three weeks...
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar

Good for him, but this is still the part that gets me, it's still the part that makes me go We have a law that says you can defend your property, the BG did not live there, records will show that, he was breaking and entrying, he was a BG doing something wrong, the homeowner should not have to worry one little bit about a Grand Jury at all, not even a concious moment about a Grand Jury, it should be a coroner comes and bags the BG up and a report is done and filed away. That's why the laws were made for was to do away with the citizen being treated like a criminal and yet, they persist to some extent..

Ok, thanks for letting me get that off my chest.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Quote Originally Posted by Guardian View Post

Good for him, but this is still the part that gets me, it's still the part that makes me go We have a law that says you can defend your property, the BG did not live there, records will show that, he was breaking and entrying, he was a BG doing something wrong, the homeowner should not have to worry one little bit about a Grand Jury at all, not even a concious moment about a Grand Jury, it should be a coroner comes and bags the BG up and a report is done and filed away. That's why the laws were made for was to do away with the citizen being treated like a criminal and yet, they persist to some extent..

Ok, thanks for letting me get that off my chest.

Why?

Clint Eastwood, "...buzzards and worms gotta' eat, too."
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

It's sad that you have to worry about defending your freedom after defending your life.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Roosevelt Jackson HUMMMMMMM

Grand Jury is usually a formality, just to make sure it wasn't a set up, being "referred to a Harris County grand jury without charges". If the cops thought something was wrong it would likely be forwarded WITH charges. Also getting "No Billed" likely provides the home owner with some legal protections, just short of being found not guilty.

Mic
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Too bad he didn't learn anything in those three weeks...
    Yep, too bad, now the homeowner has demons to deal with
    Timid people sleep peacefully at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Molôn Labé!

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    It's sad that you have to worry about defending your freedom after defending your life.
    Agreed, as well as the economic expenses that may come with those worries. From what I understand, it's a rarity for any shooting in Texas to pass without a grand jury convening. Best of luck to him.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

A flier needs to be made and circulated in the bad neighborhoods with a picture of Roosevelt Jackson Jr before he tried to break into this house and a picture of Roosevelt Jackson Jr after he tried to break into this house......I think that would deter the would be....might be... Burglars.
    You may not like guns. You may choose not to own one. That is your right.
    You might not believe in God. That is your choice.
    However, if someone breaks into your home at 3AM the first two things you are going to do are:
    1) Call someone with a gun.
    2)Pray they get there in time." - A wise man

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    He may have joined the church, but he evidently didn't repent and change his ways.

Sorry for the home owner having to live with it, but he didn't have much choice.
    Backsliding can get you dead!^^^^^
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

All Texas fatal shooting cases are referred to a Grand Jury regardless of how cu & dried and justified it may appear.

The benefit to the victim / shooter is that they cannot be sued in civil court in a clean, justifiable, self defensive shooting. If no-billed (cleared) by a Grand Jury, the homeowner will be immune from civil suit by the BG's family.
    Asked by a CNN reporter "What do you feel when you shoot a terrorist"?, the Marine sniper simply shrugged & replied "recoil".

Now more than ever, we are at war on our home soil ... WAKE UP & arm our troops when they are on home soil!

He was probably after a bible.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links