Chamber-check overlooked... again!

This is a discussion on Chamber-check overlooked... again! within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Lots of cops have eaten bullets,if it's ruled a suicide then no pension,if it's ruled an accident, survivors benefits...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chamber-check overlooked... again!

Lots of cops have eaten bullets,if it's ruled a suicide then no pension,if it's ruled an accident, survivors benefits
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

2. Remove Ads

pax
    *sigh*

It isn't about the chamber check.

It is about treating an "unloaded" gun like a toy or like an inert object.

Rule One, people. Live it. The safety rules ALWAYS apply -- even when you just "unloaded" the gun.

pax
    Kathy Jackson
    My website: Cornered Cat

Man, so sorry to hear that! Poor guy. I'll never understand how that kind of accident can happen.

First rule, never tinker with a loaded gun...... My condolences to his family.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

On another forum, the question was raised as to whether this was an accidental shooting or not. Wouldn't training/common sense dictate that an officer NOT disable his weapon for ANY reason while on duty? It is possible that he'd just bought the rubber sleeve and couldn't wait to put in on his pistol, but others suggested that the gunshot may have been intentional and his LE buddies are covering it up for the sake of his family. This Might be a stretch so draw your own conclusions. I lean toward it being a tragic mistake.

Forget the chamber check. If I want to make any significant changes to my weapons, I'm going to make it safe = field stripped. No Barrel, no breach, no boom when I accidentally pull the trigger.

Ryan
    Those who will not govern their own behavior are slaves waiting for a master; one will surely find them.

Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    Just goes to show, even professionals can get too comfortable. Bad things can happen when you don't respect your firearms.
    Define Professional... If you mean gets paid to carry a gun then I agree, if your definition has something to do with a level of competence, I disagree.

VIP Member
    I feel very bad for the officer, but I just can't help wondering - assuming he really was installing a rubber grip; can you explain to me why he would need to have the gun facing his face? That would be the most awkward way to install the grip.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Quote Originally Posted by socal2310 View Post
    Forget the chamber check. If I want to make any significant changes to my weapons, I'm going to make it safe = field stripped. No Barrel, no breach, no boom when I accidentally pull the trigger.

Ryan
    This.

At a very minimum, mag dropped and slide locked back on a semi-auto.

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    I find it very strange he was making a modification while on duty. What if he would have gotten a call which required the use of his gun. I do not think we are getting the whole story.

Praying for his family.

A few of the comments on here have been pretty disrespectful. The guy certainly should have been more careful, but it's still a tragedy when someone pays for a simple mistake with his life. Many police officers don't get nearly enough training in guns, and aren't otherwise gun guys. It's like any other workplace accident where you work with dangerous tools. Nobody deserves to die from being careless, even if that is the natural consequence. There's a big difference between what's predictable and what's deserved in a moral sense.

I'm just not happy to see a dead man called stupid. It's ugly and unnecessary. Important to take a lesson from it, but have some respect.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links