Intruder shot by teen with two guns

This is a discussion on Intruder shot by teen with two guns within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Intruder shot by teen with two guns A 15-year-old shot an intruder who broke into his family's Hollywood home early Saturday morning. BY JENNIFER LEBOVICH ...

Thread: Intruder shot by teen with two guns

VIP Member

Thumbs up Intruder shot by teen with two guns

A 15-year-old shot an intruder who broke into his family's Hollywood home early Saturday morning.

BY JENNIFER LEBOVICH
    jlebovich@MiamiHerald.com

Maxine Chandler thought she would faint in the wee hours of Saturday when she heard a knock at her door and opened it, only to have a man lunge toward her.

She slammed the door shut and watched the 6-foot-tall man banging a bicycle against the front of her house -- repeatedly hitting the window and the door.

Chandler's screaming and crying roused her 15-year-old son, Javaris Granger, who came to see what was wrong.

Javaris went to his mother's bedroom and loaded the two handguns his father keeps for protection in the home in the 700 block of South 61st Avenue. The family also called 911.

The man -- later identified by police as Keil Jumper -- kicked the door off its hinges and barged into the home about 3:30 a.m. Jumper, 22, lives on the Seminoles' reservation near Hollywood.

Javaris, who is 5-foot-6 and weighs about 125 pounds, took cover behind a wall, armed with a gun in each hand. One of the guns was a .38 caliber, but family members said Tuesday night they were unsure about the other gun.

''He was going crazy,'' Javaris said. ``I shot one time to let him know he had to leave. The dude didn't leave. He was looking at my eyes, trying to get closer.''

The gun in Javaris' right hand jammed, and he fired with the gun in his left, sending Jumper running from the single-story home. Javaris thought his shots missed the man, simply scaring him off.

''I was real scared. . . . When I was shooting, my main focus was protecting my mom and family,'' Javaris said.

Police found Jumper lying on the ground a few houses away, shot multiple times and bleeding from his wounds, said Hollywood police Capt. Tony Rode.

Jumper was taken to Memorial Regional Hospital in Hollywood, where he was in serious condition Tuesday night.

''Preliminary investigation suggests it was a justifiable shooting, and the 15-year-old won't be charged,'' Rode said.

Police said the family did not know Jumper. Records show Jumper has served time in prison for cocaine possession, criminal mischief and throwing a deadly projectile into a home.

He was arrested Feb. 19 for battery and larceny and again on March 28 for larceny.

On Friday, the day before he allegedly broke into the Chandler home, Jumper was arrested by Seminole police for assault on an officer and resisting an officer.

Jumper is expected to face felony burglary charges once he is discharged from the hospital, Rode said.

Javaris protected the 11 other family members in the house -- including four children under age two, Chandler said.

''We didn't want to hurt anyone, but we had to do what we had to do,'' Chandler said. ``When he got in here he had to shoot him.''

Chandler's husband had gone to the hospital to check on a co-worker and rushed home after getting his wife's frantic phone calls. ''I'm just glad my family is OK,'' said Lyndon Chandler, Maxine's husband. ``Listening to the screaming was terrifying.''

The silver 20-inch bicycle that Jumper used left tread marks on the front door, under a wreath adorned with a wooden American flag. The family is still shaken.

''I keep visualizing his face in the window with the bike over his head,'' said Javaris' cousin, T'ontea Lopez. Now, when Lopez goes to make a bottle for her son at night, she ducks down on her way to the kitchen.

``If my cousin wasn't here, we would have been so scared. He saved us.''

Miami Herald
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Assistant Administrator
    Wow - seems like some highly effective weak hand shooting!

From the account it would appear it was justified - so hopefully no legal ramifications.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    I hope this story echoes loud and clear to the antis who say that guns have no value in a modern society.....sadly, it won't though.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Good thing for his backup. His primary jammed and it could have been "Game Over" for the family. I wonder how the kid learned to shoot ??
    One shot. One kill.

Primary Carry - Taurus PT-111 Mil Pro 9mm DAO with 12 + 1 in the pipe. Holstered in a Brigade OWB M2.

Secondary Weapon - Taurus PT1911 5" 45acp SA with 8+1. Holstered in a Kydex paddle.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    From the account it would appear it was justified - so hopefully no legal ramifications.
    Not in Florida, brother!

The armed citizen had reasonable belief that the BG unlawfully entered the premises. Since the BG met none of the very narrow exclusions (i.e. he was not a family member, invited guest or an LEO), the Castle Doctrine kicks in, and brings with it two legal presumptions:

(1) A person is presumed to have held a reasonable fear of imminent peril of death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another when using defensive force that is intended or likely to cause death or great bodily harm to another if:

(a) The person against whom the defensive force was used was in the process of unlawfully and forcefully entering, or had unlawfully and forcibly entered, a dwelling, residence, or occupied vehicle, or if that person had removed or was attempting to remove another against that person's will from the dwelling, residence, or occupied vehicle; and

(b) The person who uses defensive force knew or had reason to believe that an unlawful and forcible entry or unlawful and forcible act was occurring or had occurred.
    and

(4) A person who unlawfully and by force enters or attempts to enter a person's dwelling, residence, or occupied vehicle is presumed to be doing so with the intent to commit an unlawful act involving force or violence.
    (Both presumptions are defined in F.S. 776.013)

In order for there to be any criminal repercussions from the teen's use of deadly force, the state would have to prove that the BG was a member of the narrowly defined exceptions to part 1 (i.e. was an LEO, family member or invited guest).

As far as civil liability goes, so long as the use of force meets the tests in 776.013, civil immunity attaches:

776.032 Immunity from criminal prosecution and civil action for justifiable use of force.--

(1) A person who uses force as permitted in s. 776.012, s. 776.013, or s. 776.031 is justified in using such force and is immune from criminal prosecution and civil action for the use of such force, unless the person against whom force was used is a law enforcement officer, as defined in s. 943.10(14), who was acting in the performance of his or her official duties and the officer identified himself or herself in accordance with any applicable law or the person using force knew or reasonably should have known that the person was a law enforcement officer. As used in this subsection, the term "criminal prosecution" includes arresting, detaining in custody, and charging or prosecuting the defendant.

(2) A law enforcement agency may use standard procedures for investigating the use of force as described in subsection (1), but the agency may not arrest the person for using force unless it determines that there is probable cause that the force that was used was unlawful.

(3) The court shall award reasonable attorney's fees, court costs, compensation for loss of income, and all expenses incurred by the defendant in defense of any civil action brought by a plaintiff if the court finds that the defendant is immune from prosecution as provided in subsection (1).
    (Florida Statutes 776.032)

Jon Gutmacher does an excellent job explaining 776.013 and the real-world implications thereof in his book "Florida Firearms Law Use & Ownership". Highly recommended reading for all Florida CWFP holders, IMHO.

Matt

Distinguished Member Array BCurry1's Avatar
    Another A+ reason to teach children about guns and gun safety, not just lock them up and never show them to em. Great story to start the day off with!
    Curry

Senior Member Array ssssthesnake's Avatar
    good for the kid what might have happened if it was in californias hollywood makes me shiver the whole famaliy might have been hurt because loony and his bnunch said guns are baaaadddddddddddd also no civil litagation woooohooooo the castle doctrin wounder if we will ever get it here

Quote Originally Posted by BCurry1
    Another A+ reason to teach children about guns and gun safety, not just lock them up and never show them to em.
    Well said.

LibertyGal
    Requiring a license makes it illegal to do something that was lawful before the license was required.

That's exactly the reason I taught my daughter how to shoot. The only thing I was wondering about was the fact that at 3am the father was visiting a friend in the hospital?? I thought visiting hours ended around 8 or 9pm?? Where were the other 9 people in the house? I guess that stuff is of no concern but I am just glad this story is out there I wish it was in our newspapers.
    George Washington: "A free people ought to be armed."

Quote Originally Posted by kansas_shooter
    I wonder how the kid learned to shoot ??
    Duck Hunt for nintendo. LOL. This is the exact reason I taught my girlfriend who lives with me how to shoot my gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Rugerman
    The only thing I was wondering about was the fact that at 3am the father was visiting a friend in the hospital??
    Ummm, that's usually code for "I was someplace I wasn't supposed to be, doing something illegal, immoral, or both."

LibertyGal
    Requiring a license makes it illegal to do something that was lawful before the license was required.

VIP Member
    Some more info on this case.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Hollywood teen shoots intruder after father says on phone, `Do what you have to do'
    By Marlene Naanes South Florida Sun-Sentinel Posted May 25 2006

Hollywood Javaris Granger wished his father was there instead of him.

His father was on the phone, urging Granger, 15, to get the gun they used for shooting practice. "Do what you have to do," his father said.

Granger did. He aimed the gun and fired at the violent intruder.

Family and friends are awed by Granger's bravery. "Anyone who takes charge like that is definitely a hero," said Maxine Chandler, his mother.

Before the McArthur High School freshman fired the gun, he kept a cool head and remembered his father's shooting and safety lessons during the chaos early Saturday morning.

His father, Lyndon Chandler, had left the house to visit a friend at the hospital. His wife heard a knock at the door and, thinking it was her husband, opened it. A stranger grabbed at her; she pulled free and slammed the door.

It was 3:30 a.m.

Granger woke with a start, hearing his mother's frantic voice and something slamming against the front window.

He ran out to the dark living room and saw his mother screaming as a man, cursing and muttering, threw a bicycle at the window.

Granger yelled at the intruder to leave, while his mother called his father on the phone and handed it to her son. The stranger began turning the doorknob, intent on getting in the home.

Within seconds, Granger ran into his parents' bedroom, found the safety box, unlocked it and loaded two guns for him and his mother. He ran back to the living room as the intruder threw a bicycle at the door and started kicking it in.

His mother was too shaken to take a gun, so she ran to another bedroom where her daughters and visiting family members were hiding.

"I was real scared and nervous, but I knew I had to stay focused on what I had to do because my mom and the kids were there," Granger said.

The next moment the man kicked down the door and jumped into the living room, yards from Granger.

"I didn't want to hurt anybody, so I fired off a warning shot," the ninth-grader said.

The intruder didn't leave until four shots later.

Since the incident, friends and family members have called to congratulate the modest teenager who didn't tell his story until news reports made it hard to hide. His three sisters call him brave, his dad is very proud of "the man of the house" and his mom says her family would have died if the man police later identified as Keil Jumper had laid hands on them.

Jumper, 22, is in Memorial Regional Medical Center with two gunshot wounds. He has a string of arrests dating to 2001, including one for attacking a Seminole Reservation Police Officer the day before he allegedly broke into Granger's home.

Granger does not face charges. The second oldest child in the family, he often goes to the range at Markham Park to practice shoot with his father. He was never a victim of crime before, but calmly went through all the gun safety steps his father taught him, even after one gun jammed after the first shot Saturday.

He even locked up the guns after Jumper left, before he checked on his mother. "My husband tried to get everyone to learn the safety of a gun," Chandler said. "It paid off."

Marlene Naanes can be reached at mnaanes@sun-sentinel.com or 954-385-7922.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

good for him. I'd say thats being a hero in my book.
    You'd think the powers that be would get a clue and stop letting the crazy guy out of jail!!!
    "In those days, there was a lot more respect for other people and it showed in peoples values.... Today the word value means nothing more than something you get on the $1 menu at McDonald's." -BARK'N

Lead Moderator
    Glad the teen was taught how to shoot. If more folks would take the initative to protect themselves , less crime might happen.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Links