BAD-Man AD's at airport

BAD-Man AD's at airport

This is a discussion on BAD-Man AD's at airport within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; uh... you gotta clear the one out of the chamber, not just drop the mag! ksl.com - Skycap injured in accidental shooting SALT LAKE CITY ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BAD-Man AD's at airport

BAD-Man AD's at airport

uh... you gotta clear the one out of the chamber, not just drop the mag!
    ksl.com - Skycap injured in accidental shooting

SALT LAKE CITY -- A skycap was accidentally shot in the foot at Salt Lake International Airport Thursday afternoon.

According to Dave Korzep, the airport's director of operations, the incident happened at a skycap booth at Terminal 1 around noon. "A passenger was declaring his firearm for shipment and either dropped it or mishandled it and we had an accidental discharge," Korzep said.

The skycap who was assisting the traveler took some shrapnel to the foot. Korzep says his injuries were minor.

"Operations haven't been disrupted by this," Korzep said. "The skycap was treated at the scene by airport paramedics. He signed a release and was not transported to the hospital."

Korzep says the traveler thought the semi automatic pistol was unloaded, but there was likely an extra round in the chamber. He says there is a certain procedure that must be followed when checking firearms at the airport.

"It has to be in a hardened, locked case and obviously the weapon should be cleared and the ammunition stored separately," he said. "In this case, the procedure was not followed correctly."

Korzep says the traveler who owns the firearm is being questioned by airport police. No word yet on whether charges will be filed.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed."
    -Alexander Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by mustang00066 View Post

SALT LAKE CITY -- A skycap was accidentally shot in the foot at Salt Lake International Airport Thursday afternoon.

According to Dave Korzep, the airport's director of operations, the incident happened at a skycap booth at Terminal 1 around noon. "A passenger was declaring his firearm for shipment and either dropped it or mishandled it and we had an accidental discharge," Korzep said.

The skycap who was assisting the traveler took some shrapnel to the foot. Korzep says his injuries were minor.

"Operations haven't been disrupted by this," Korzep said. "The skycap was treated at the scene by airport paramedics. He signed a release and was not transported to the hospital."

Korzep says the traveler thought the semi automatic pistol was unloaded, but there was likely an extra round in the chamber. He says there is a certain procedure that must be followed when checking firearms at the airport.

"It has to be in a hardened, locked case and obviously the weapon should be cleared and the ammunition stored separately," he said. "In this case, the procedure was not followed correctly."

Korzep says the traveler who owns the firearm is being questioned by airport police. No word yet on whether charges will be filed.
    Wow. Firearms 101. Always cycle the slide AFTER ejecting magazine. owner should face a penalty for this. Moron.
    One Man's Trash is another Man's Wife.
    A gun is like an abortion. When you are unprotected and get surprised, you always want one.

Quote Originally Posted by mustang00066 View Post

Those pesky "extra rounds"
    “The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.”.... Albert Einstein

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Quote Originally Posted by Glock30SF View Post
    Those pesky "extra rounds"
    lol, that's what I was thinking. Y'know, there's the regular round that sits in the chamber and then there's that extra round that can sometimes hide on ya

Idiot!

I wouldn't ever want to be clearing my gun right there at the check-in counter. In this situation I would have my gun pre-cleared with the action locked back inside a secure container before I bring it into the terminal.

Quote Originally Posted by larefugee View Post
    I wouldn't ever want to be clearing my gun right there at the check-in counter. In this situation I would have my gun pre-cleared with the action locked back inside a secure container before I bring it into the terminal.
    I've traveled with my firearm numerous times and this is my policy. always unloaded b4 I get out of my car. goes in the locked case and then into my bag. At the counter I open the case to put in the orange tag, then off to TSA. Ammo always stored separately.

I hope the penalty fro mthis incident is not alpplied to all of us. you know the knee jerk reaction of the anti's is to ban all handguns from airports and flights. I'd lose a lot of time driving across the country is that's the case!! haha
    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." Benjamin Franklin

Steps in the stripping of State's Rights/Sovereignty
    1. War of Northern Agression 2. Coersion to ratify the 14th Amendment 3. Ratified 17th Amendment

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmdDadof4 View Post
    Wow. Firearms 101. Always cycle the slide AFTER ejecting magazine. owner should face a penalty for this. Moron.
    He's an idiot, but there shouldn't be serious criminal charges. After all, it was still a mistake rather than intentional.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Distinguished Member Array lacrosse50's Avatar
    d'oh.
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer

NRA Life Member

I really wonder what made the gun discharge. The gun was a Springfield XD. I keep mine with one in the pipe ready to rock 24/7 and have never had this problem. I am kinda concerned now(tiny bit). I wonder if he was handling the weapon and his error made it discharge or what.It had to be the guy.
    When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    - Thomas Jefferson

DUH!!!!!!
    Member:USCCA, NRA, GOA, WVCDL
    U.S. Navy vet 1955-1959, USS Dashiell DD 659. Glock 19, Ruger LCP, Ruger .357 Mag.
    When you are at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.

This story is misleading
    A skycap was accidentally hit in the foot by shrapnel from a gun that accidentally went off at the Salt Lake International Airport Thursday afternoon.
    the gun didn't accidentally go off.....he accidentally made the gun go off.
    You may not like guns. You may choose not to own one. That is your right.
    You might not believe in God. That is your choice.
    However, if someone breaks into your home at 3AM the first two things you are going to do are:
    1) Call someone with a gun.
    2)Pray they get there in time." - A wise man

How can it "go off" if you DON'T pull the trigger?

Unless it was one of those cheap Glocks that require you pull the trigger to disassemble it...

[/sarcasm guys!]

Everyone should own a plastic gun.

j/k....

again
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

pax
    Thank goodness for good muzzle control. Negligent trigger fingers are bad enough all on their own.

pax
    Kathy Jackson
    My website: Cornered Cat

Quote Originally Posted by DIXIETWISTER View Post
    This story is misleading the gun didn't accidentally go off.....he accidentally made the gun go off.
    +1 It's not an accidental discharge, it's a negligent discharge.
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links