All the more reason for a rope

This is a discussion on All the more reason for a rope within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Glad he was captured, but.... Inmate Mistakenly Released From Md. Prison Is Captured - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News ...

VIP Member

Glad he was captured, but....

Inmate Mistakenly Released From Md. Prison Is Captured - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News - FOXNews.com

Inmate Mistakenly Released From Md. Prison Is Captured
    Friday, February 26, 2010

BALTIMORE ó An inmate serving three life terms who conned his way out of a Baltimore prison after impersonating his cell mate was captured Friday morning in West Virginia.

Raymond Taylor, 26, of New York, was mistakenly released from the Maryland Correctional Adjustment Center on Thursday afternoon, said Division of Correction spokesman Mark Vernarelli. Taylor is serving three life sentences for attempted murder. He was caught without incident in Martinsburg, authorities said.

Maryland Commissioner of Correction J. Michael Stouffer said the investigation into how Taylor was mistakenly released is in its preliminary stages. But he said that at 11 a.m., Taylor was placed in a cell with an inmate who was scheduled to be released.

"That is not how our process goes. That was a mistake," Stouffer said.

Prison officials said Taylor was convicted of three counts of attempted murder in 2005, but declined to release further details of the case.

The prison is a former "Supermax" facility that's now used to house inmates who are awaiting court appearances or moving from one prison to another. It houses 540 inmates; 214 are federal prisoners.

Stouffer said that on Thursday morning, a transportation detail arrived at the prison from western Maryland with Taylor, who was due in court on a matter not related to his convictions. He was placed in the cell with the other inmate.

At 1:45 p.m., Stouffer said, a line officer called the name of the other inmate. Taylor went to the front of the cell, Stouffer said, and handed the officer the other inmate's ID card.

"He presented himself as the other inmate," Stouffer said. "He was asked for the ID number, and he (said) it."

Twice more, Taylor was asked to identify himself by different prison workers, Stouffer said. Each time, Taylor recited the other inmate's ID number. Taylor was released.

Stouffer said the mistake was discovered about 3:45 p.m. when the other inmate began kicking on the cell door, demanding to be released.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

serving three life terms
    Yep. I'm all for the rope dance myself.

I wonder how much tax money goes to keeping him alive so he can rot in jail...
    One of the most dangerous political philosophies afflicting America today is the belief that we canít allow anyone to suffer the natural consequences of their own stupidity.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Maybe we should tatoo their inmate number on them?

Quote Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
    Maybe we should tatoo their inmate number on them?
    People would say that it is insensitive to the holocaust.
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

Why not put one of those little microchips like they do in the cars so they always know where they are. once they are released it stays active until the person finishes parol and then removed or left incase something happens and they are needing to be found.
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

Why not just put a red X on tehir forehead and do away with them? That way you wouldnt have to worry about keeping track of them.

3 life sentences? Whats the point of keeping them around?

Why not an eye for eye.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Well according to ammoengine, the cheapest price for a .30-30 round is 0.66/round. So that's $3.30 for five rounds.

If it costs $25,000 to house an inmate annually, and this guy lives an averagish life which he would with the luxurious healthcare inside prison, my solution just saved Maryland taxpayers $1,349,996.70.

They can send me a humble 10% fee for my work.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFreeman View Post
    I wonder how much tax money goes to keeping him alive so he can rot in jail...
    Less than it costs to get the death penalty, unfortunately..
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws."-Penn Jillette

Links