BAD: Teacher fatally shot outside Tacoma, WA Special Needs school

This is a discussion on BAD: Teacher fatally shot outside Tacoma, WA Special Needs school within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; TACOMA, Wash. -- A gunman who lay in wait for two hours fatally shot a Tacoma special education teacher as she arrived at school Friday ...

Thread: BAD: Teacher fatally shot outside Tacoma, WA Special Needs school

Senior Moderator

TACOMA, Wash. -- A gunman who lay in wait for two hours fatally shot a Tacoma special education teacher as she arrived at school Friday morning, authorities told KIRO 7 Eyewitness News.

Police later fatally shot the gunman after a chase and confrontation about 10 miles away.

A Tacoma School District spokesman confirmed that the shooting occurred outside Birney Elementary School, at 1202 S. 76th St., Friday.

KIRO 7 reporter Alison Grande said there were few, if any, kids on campus at the time of the shooting because it happened before school started for the day. No children were hurt.

Police said the 30-year-old woman arrived at the school at about 7:30 a.m. and was shot by a man who had been waiting for her for about two hours.

The man and the victim knew each other, but their relationship was unclear, said Tacoma police spokesman Mark Fulghum. He said the teacher went to court to get an anti-harassment protection order against him within the last few weeks.

Teacher Fatally Shot Outside Tacoma Elementary School - News Story - KIRO Seattle
    Very sad, and it demonstrates once again that a piece of paper from a court offers no real-world protection against a determined (or psychotic) adversary.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Just for the sake of discussion, it seems imho, that once someone is targeted in a restraining order, perhaps the person should be taken into custody, sort of along the lines of a 'Baker Act' evaluation.

It seems that most of these type situations involve previous restraining act type of procedures.

Florida and at least a few other southern states have a 'Baker Act' of some sort. The person 'Baker Acted' is taken into custody, and evaluated at a mental health facility of some description.
    Extremism in the Defense of Liberty is No Vice--Moderation in the Pursuit of Justice is No Virtue. - Senator Barry Goldwater

That would probably help unless the person passed and still shoots the individual then who would be considered responsible for "Releasing" him.
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

Agreed, that it is not failsafe. But the Order is not worth the time and resources used, alone. It might save one, or some.
    Extremism in the Defense of Liberty is No Vice--Moderation in the Pursuit of Justice is No Virtue. - Senator Barry Goldwater

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Sad. I am sorry to this gal's family.

It is worth noting that it is illegal in Washington to carry a concealed pistol onto an elementary school or high school, even if you have a valid Concealed Pistol License. It is unfortunate that this gal was rendered defenseless at her place of work. Especially since she was aware of the issue with the restraining order.

I don't mean to take away the blame from the bad guy or to say she would have been fine if she had been armed, I only think it is unfortunate the law took away the ability to defend herself.
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    It seems to me, we should be handing out handguns and training with each restraining order.

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    a bad update:

TACOMA, Wash. – A man apparently infatuated with a special education teacher shot and killed her as she walked into her elementary school Friday, shortly before students began arriving.

The suspect was killed in a shootout with a deputy a short time later about 10 miles away, said Pierce County sheriff's spokesman Ed Troyer.

The man had been released on bail Monday after being arrested a week ago for violating a protective order the teacher, Jennifer Paulson, obtained in September 2008, Tacoma police spokesman Mark Fulghum said.

The victim's father, Ken Paulson, said she was kind and loving, and that's probably why she was a special education teacher. He described the 30-year-old as a devout Christian.

The father said the man who killed his daughter was Jed Waits, of Ellensburg. The two had apparently known each other since she was in college, when they worked together at a cafeteria at Seattle Pacific University.

In her petition for the anti-harassment order filed in Pierce County District Court, Paulson said she and Waits occasionally socialized with co-workers and friends outside of work as a group but "never had any sort of romantic involvement."

She said heard from Waits about once a year since she graduated from college in 2003, but he would sometimes call 10 to 15 times in one day.

Then in spring 2008, he showed up her school, walked into the building and passed the office where he was stopped by a secretary.

"I never told him where I work and do not know how he found out," Paulson wrote.

He also sent roses and a bear to her at the school. Paulson's principal called Waits' commander in the National Guard to inform him of the harassment, she wrote.

The anti-harassment order banned Waits from going within 1,000 feet of Paulson's home or school. But she saw him as she was leaving work Friday, so she called 911 from her car. Waits was arrested that night, and after he made bail, Paulson stopped staying at her home, at least temporarily, her father said.

Fulghum said there had been no indication that Waits had a weapon or had threatened Paulson with a weapon, but it "sounds like he had a pretty good infatuation with her."

The shooting happened at Birney Elementary, which has about 400 students in kindergarten through fifth grade. Classes were canceled for the day, and officials had not made a decision about Monday's classes.

The shooter was waiting for the teacher when she arrived at 7:35 a.m. and shot her multiple times as she was trying to enter the school, Fulghum said.

Omar Moreno, 22, who lives across the street from the school, said he heard three gunshots.

"I heard a teacher screaming at the top of her lungs — just screaming," he said. "I looked out my window and I saw the guy. He started running down the middle of the street and got in his car."

Moreno said the man, wearing a white snow cap and white gloves, drove off in a tan car. Soon after, Moreno said, a custodian barreled out of the school screaming for someone to call the police.

Moreno said he saw the victim laying on the ground, bleeding from the mouth. It was clear to him she had died, he said.

A deputy pulled over the suspect's car in the parking lot of a daycare, and he came out firing a handgun, Troyer said. The deputy returned fire and killed the man.

"We're lucky our guy's OK. The guy did have semi-automatic and did fire a round," Troyer told KCPQ-TV.

School district spokesman Dan Voelpel said Paulson worked in the language resource center helping students one-on-one with reading problems. She had been with the district since 2004 and at the school since 2007.

Paulson's death "knocked everyone flat," Voelpel said. "It's going to hit this community hard."

The shooting occurred three days after a 32-year-old man with a history of mental illness opened fire in a middle school parking lot in Colorado, wounding two students.
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

From my understanding it is illegal to carry in any elementary, middle or high school. I have told my boss its rough working at a school, she asked why once, I told her one day a kid brings a gun and fires a shot in a direction could be a shot that hits you in the head. Wouldnt that be a bad day for you. They think im nuts for being a little paranoid.
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

Sponsored Links