Saw this on Fox News......

This is a discussion on Saw this on Fox News...... within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Just watched Fox News segment on the looting and civil disobedience going on in Chile following the earthquake there. There were several scenes of what ...

Thread: Saw this on Fox News......

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar

Saw this on Fox News......

Just watched Fox News segment on the looting and civil disobedience going on in Chile following the earthquake there. There were several scenes of what were obvious homeowners and members of neighborhoods, standing around home-made barricades and defending their homes/neighborhoods with a variety of civilian weapons.

I think that in light of what we saw here in Katrina, and again here in Chile, it is just simply prudent (and not paranoid) to have means of home protection--something capable of detering a semi-organized gang of scummy thugs with adequate stand-off distance............
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I saw the same thing. It looked like a kid with a rifle standing watch at the entrance to his street, but then he opened the breach, and it was clearly a pellet gun.

I guess you make do with what you have. I know I will .

If the rule of 'threes' applies here, I have been thinking about where the next, soon, quake will occur. I wonder if the geology guys have any educated guesses.

EDIT: a quick google produced this.

http://earthquakepredictionbytiempe.blogspot.com/
    Extremism in the Defense of Liberty is No Vice--Moderation in the Pursuit of Justice is No Virtue. - Senator Barry Goldwater

Senior Member Array InspectorGadget's Avatar
    IANAG (I an not a Geologist) but the New Madrid fault line in the middle of the US poses more of a danger than an equal sized earthquake in California, for 2 main reasons. In Cali buildings are built with earthquakes in mind, and because of the makeup of the geology the energy dissapates quickly and over shorter distances. In the middle of the US you are not used to building to withstand a Major Earthquake, so an equal sized earthquake will do more damage. The second part of the problem as I understand it is that since the earthquakes happen in the middle of the plate the energy travels much much farther through solid bedrock. The 1812 quake rattled buildings in Boston almost a thousand miles away. In short be a good boy scout, be prepared for a natural disaster of any sort.

The Next Big Quake?
    The Next Big Quake? | Foreign Policy

UNITED STATES, LOWER MISSISSIPPI DELTA REGION
    Fault Line: New Madrid
    Last big quake: 1812

Reasons to worry: A string of earthquakes in the early 19th century along the New Madrid fault -- covering parts of Illinois, Missouri, Arkansas, Kentucky, Tennessee, and Mississippi -- caused the Mississippi River to flow backwards, rang church bells in Boston, and affected an area more than three times as large as the famous San Francisco quake of 1906.

Two hundred years ago, the at-risk population was minimal. Today, the major cities of Saint Louis and Memphis lie within the danger zone of arguably the United State's most threatening fault line. FEMA warned in 2008 that a major New Madrid fault earthquake could cause "the highest economic losses due to a natural disaster in the United States," largely due to a relative lack of earthquake preparation compared with California and the Pacific Northwest.
    Earthquakes and the New Madrid Fault Line
    New Madrid Fault Line Intro

The New Madrid (MAD'rud) Seismic Zone, midway between St. Louis and Memphis, has a history of shaking violently, about every 500 years. When it shook for three months in 1811-12, this was the western frontier, and the population was sparse. If it shook with that magnitude again, the devastation would make Hurricane Katrina look "like a Sunday School picnic."

The New Madrid fault system is a series of faults several miles below the surface. Experts say we're overdue for a "6" like the one in 1895 which shook down buildings in the Charleston, Mo. area. The "big ones" of 1811-12 were probably high "7"s, accompanied by a few thousand smaller ones over 4-6 months.
    Colt 1911 New Agent, CTLaser

You do not work for them, they work for you.
    Senators http://senate.gov/general/contact_in...nators_cfm.cfm
    Congressmen http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW_by_State.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by InspectorGadget View Post
    IANAG (I an not a Geologist) but the New Madrid fault line in the middle of the US poses more of a danger than an equal sized earthquake in California, for 2 main reasons. In Cali buildings are built with earthquakes in mind, and because of the makeup of the geology the energy dissapates quickly and over shorter distances. In the middle of the US you are not used to building to withstand a Major Earthquake, so an equal sized earthquake will do more damage. The second part of the problem as I understand it is that since the earthquakes happen in the middle of the plate the energy travels much much farther through solid bedrock. The 1812 quake rattled buildings in Boston almost a thousand miles away. In short be a good boy scout, be prepared for a natural disaster of any sort.

The Next Big Quake?
    The Next Big Quake? | Foreign Policy

Earthquakes and the New Madrid Fault Line
    New Madrid Fault Line Intro
    I hear 'ya on the be prepared theme. I am expecting that another disaster, of Katrina proportions, or such, will occur eventually. Then, depending upon what caliber of political leadership is in power, more 'emergency' measures are sure to follow.

I mentioned the New Madrid fault, recently in a related thread, as I have for a while wondered what the 'fallout' of such an event would be, if of significant proportions.
    Extremism in the Defense of Liberty is No Vice--Moderation in the Pursuit of Justice is No Virtue. - Senator Barry Goldwater

Quote Originally Posted by carry ok View Post
    I hear 'ya on the be prepared theme. I am expecting that another disaster, of Katrina proportions, or such, will occur eventually. Then, depending upon what caliber of political leadership is in power, more 'emergency' measures are sure to follow.

I mentioned the New Madrid fault, recently in a related thread, as I have for a while wondered what the 'fallout' of such an event would be, if of significant proportions.
    Knowing the type of folks in the quake zone of the New Madrid fault area, I would have to predict that most would come together and help one another. In 1993, I sandbagged in the area all summer during the floods and was overwhelmed by the selflessness of those who were literally losing everything but their lives. I miss them often. Even the criminals on sandbagging duty were working their rears off fighting the futile battle.

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Despite all the bad news--the United States is still a country with a lot of GREAT folks. But, and this is a significant "BUT" it seems that when we have large scale civil disruptions (like Katrina) there are still those elements of our society who will attempt to take advantage and will prey on who ever they can.

It is those scummy BGs that we will have to protect oursleves (and possibly our less prepared neighbors and friends) from ...........
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    A quick Google search turned up the following info on Chile's gun laws. It's a bit contradictory.

Chile Forum: Gun Restrictions in Chile : Legal Issues
    So here is the real deal if you want to buy a gun in Chile.

You can't just go and buy a firearm. There is a lot of paperwork and money involved. First of all, you go to the store and "buy" your gun. They give you a purchase order, and they usually ask you to pay upfront.

Then you have to go to the local office of the "Registro Civil" (I don't know if you have something like that in other countries, every city here has this office where they issue birth certificates, passports, etc). At this office you must get a criminal records certificate, which obviuosly must be clean.
    Next step is going to the nearest police station and get a residence certificate, where they state your home adress.
    Then you have to get a doctor's certificate saying you are fit to have a firearm (i.e. you have good eyesight, good balance and eye-hand coordination, etc).
    And also you need to go to a psychiatrist (be carefull, not all psychiatrists are authorized to issue this certificate), to prove that you are no nutjob who will go on a killing rampage.

With all those certificates and the P.O., you head to the military office in your city (called DGMN, website <LINKS REMOVED BY ADMIN, NEW USER 10 POST RULE>) and you have to take a test. The test is about gun knowledge and gun laws knowledge.

If you pass the test, they issue you a permit for owning the firearm you bought (and only that gun, serial number registered, etc), and a "transport permit" to take the gun home from the store. You also only can buy ammo for the caliber of that gun.

Now, there are 4 ways to register a gun, I'll list every one of them.

1.- Defense
    You can only register 2 guns (but your wife can register 2 more) for defensive purposes. The gun cannot leave home. You can only buy 100 rounds a year for each gun.

Guns you can register for defensive purposes:
    Semi-auto pistols
    Revolvers
    Rifles
    Shotguns

2 (and 3).- Hunting or Sport
    You can register up to 8 firearms for hunting and/or sport. In order to register a firearm for hunting purposes, you must have a hunters permit, issued by the Agricultural and Cattle Service (SAG). If you want to have a gun registered for sport you must be a member of a range (there are no public ranges here). Guns registered for any of these 2 purposes, are issued a "transport permit", which allows taking the gun to the range, to competitions o take it hunting.
    This "transport permit" is NOT a carry license. The firearm must be unloaded, separated from the body and kept in it's case. Also you are only allowed to move from the registered adress to the range and back.
    For hunting and sporting, you can buy up to 3000 rounds a year per gun (but ranges also sell ammunition so you don't throw away your ammo buying capacity).
    A last detail. Children under 18 can only have a gun registered to their name if they are registered for sport.

Guns you can register for sport:
    Semi-auto pistols
    Revolvers
    .22 Rifle (single shot, repeating action or semiauto)
    Muzzleloaders
    Semi-auto Shotguns, any caliber
    Single shot and repeat action shotguns, any caliber
    Rifle, single shot or repeat action

Guns you can register for hunting
    .22 Rifle (single shot or repeating action)

Guns you can register for big game hunting (require another special hunting permit)
    Rifle, single shot or repeat action, caliber over 7mm
    Revolvers

4.- Collection
    You can have unlimited guns registered as a collector, but you can't buy any ammo for them.

Firearm carrying in Chile:
    It's very easy to carry ilegally in Chile. The police won't search you or your car unless they have probable cause and/or a warrant. However, if you have bad luck and end up in an accident or a fight or whatever, you can get caught. I see no point in ilegally carrying, since if you take out your gun, it's more likely that you end up in jail and the criminal walking away with a slap on the wrist. (I'm not joking here)
    There is an option for legally carry in Chile, you have to apply for that special permit, writing a letter stating why do you need to carry and attending an interview with the military head of your city. To illustrate how difficult it is, nowadays they are 750 000 guns registered in Chile, to ~500 000 owners, and ONLY 69 of them have a carry permit (which you must renew every year).

I hope this was informative, any doubts, please let me know. If I've forgotten something I'll post it when I remember.

SurvivalBlog.com
    I was reading your site yesterday and saw your article asking for information about foreign gun laws. I recently purchased a new shotgun in Chile and will share that experience with you. First, I don't think most Chileans follow the gun laws here. The law is that you must register every weapon you own, and registration is limited to three per person, but no limit per family. That means I could register three in my name, three in my wife's name, etc. Laws state you must keep your weapon in your home and if you transport in somewhere else, you must ask for permission and get a form to do so. If you are stopped by the police and have a weapon without the transport form, they have the right to seize it. (I have been stopped many times for a registration check, and they have never searched the vehicle or asked about weapons, so this is a very remote possibility in normal times, IMHO).

From those restrictions, you can see why I feel most Chileans don't follow the law. I wanted to ship down my grandfather's old Mossberg, but since it didn't have a serial number, and the associated government paper hassle, I just bought a new one here. When buying from a dealer, you have to follow the rules, and being a foreign national residing here, I went along (for my first). I wanted a basic Mossberg pump action 12 gauge, and the dealer informed me I had to pass a hunting exam before I could buy the gun. He gave me some example tests, true-false questions, and I went to register for the test. Not being a native spanish speaker, I was a little worried about the exam. It cost about $24 US to get a study book and pay for the test. The exam covered all the separate hunting laws for the country, broken down by state. I had to know the dove daily limits for a region 1,500 miles from my house! Unbelievable. I managed to luck through the test and pass with a 70%, even though none of the test questions given to me by the dealer were on the test- wouldn't you know it!

Once I had my hunting license I returned to the gun dealer/ sport shop. I paid for the gun, and then they took me to the local Chilean army office to register it. On the way, the dealer casually mentioned I had to take a test there to ensure I knew the proper care and maintenance of the shotgun I was buying! I had no idea what those names were, so I had about 10 minutes to learn what a sight, breach, stock, etc were called in spanish, and I lucked my way through another multiple choice test on basic maintenance, and how many shells I was able to buy at a time, etc. What a pain! Now you see why I think most chileans skip this law. Everyone was quite nice and helpful, it was just the process that stank.

The next step was needing the police to check my residence on the application to ensure that I lived there. Well, I live 150km from this town, and I could not take possession of my gun until my residence was checked. For this reason I used a friend's residence in the town. I was checked out and returned the next morning for my shotgun. What an ordeal. Total cost, not including the shotgun itself, was about $60 US. Fortunately, now I have my legally registered shotgun, even though it is registered at a residence far far away, so it would take some searching to find me if the officials were so inclined. Obviously my next weapons purchase will be from an locals to skip the whole bureaucratic nightmare. Since I live way off the beaten path and know the local police, I am not worried, but the national system here is set up for potential confiscation if necessary- remnants of the 1970's and the civil war/Pinochet days.

Hope you find this informative. Chile is a great country for old German rifles and such like. I look forward to getting a Winchester .44-40, .357, and other weapons off of the grid. I've actually had my folks bring down boxes of rifle shells and deer slugs in their airline luggage- no problem with customs. In other news, I now have my pigs, chickens, and the sheep are on the way! Fresh eggs and ham through any crisis! Best wishes
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post

1.- Defense
    You can only register 2 guns (but your wife can register 2 more) for defensive purposes. The gun cannot leave home. You can only buy 100 rounds a year for each gun.
    Well, so much for any practice with your gun.....
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

Links