Bad: Bank Robbery In My Hometown

This is a discussion on Bad: Bank Robbery In My Hometown within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This happend yesterday 3/2/2010, and is on the other end of town from where I live. Not the best of neighborhoods, it used to be, ...

Thread: Bad: Bank Robbery In My Hometown

Thumbs down Bad: Bank Robbery In My Hometown

This happend yesterday 3/2/2010, and is on the other end of town from where I live. Not the best of neighborhoods, it used to be, but the crime rate from drugs and gangs has escalated to the point I rarely go into this area, unless absolutely necessary.

There is a picture on the web page of the guy from surveillance cameras.

Police hunt for bank robber - The Herald Dispatch

Police hunt for bank robber

Lori Wolfe/The Herald-Dispatch

City and state police investigate a mid-afternoon bank robbery at People's Bank on 20th Street Tuesday, March 2, 2010, in Huntington.

CHRISTIAN ALEXANDERSEN

The Herald-Dispatch

HUNTINGTON, WV -- City police searched Tuesday for a man who brandished a gun and used it to rob a bank on 20th Street in Huntington.

The robber walked into the Peoples Bank at 1126 20th St., approached the teller and demanded money about 2:30 p.m., Huntington Police Sgt. John Williams said. The man brandished a blue steel handgun and received an undisclosed amount of cash from the teller, he said.

The suspect took the cash and fled on foot. A Huntington police K-9 unit picked up a scent. Williams said the dog led them to an undisclosed location.

The suspect is described as a white male, between 5-foot-5-inches and 5-foot-10-inches tall, medium build and dressed in a green hooded zipped sweatshirt, blue jeans and aviator sunglasses.

Though the robber had his face covered when he entered the bank, Williams said there are several identifiable features that were visible after reviewing the bank's surveillance video.

Huntington police are asking any one with information to call the department's detectives bureau at 304-696-4420.

A previous robbery at the bank occurred on June 8, 2009. A 39-year-old Huntington man was arrested about two weeks later and indicted last fall on charges of committing that robbery as well as robbing two convenient stores and a restaurant.

"Most of these bank robberies occur at branch banks because of the locality," Williams said. "It's so isolated from the main town, there's a lot of escape routes and (that's) something taken into consideration by the people who perpetrate these types of crimes."

Williams said outside cameras on the bank building might have deterred the bank robbery.

Spring Hill Elementary, about four blocks away at 1901 Hall Ave., was temporarily placed on lockdown after the holdup. The precautionary measure was lifted about 3:30 p.m., Cabell County Schools spokesman Jedd Flowers said.

Most school buses already had left by the time school officials received word of the incident, Flowers said, but some students who usually walk home were affected. Flowers said some students were picked up by parents prior to the lockdown being lifted.

A previous robbery at the bank occurred on June 8, 2009. A 39-year-old Huntington man was arrested about two weeks later and indicted last fall on charges of committing that robbery as well as robbing two convenient stores and a restaurant.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

2. Remove Ads

Links