Boy, 10, accidentally kills brother with father's gun after visit to post office - Page 3

Boy, 10, accidentally kills brother with father's gun after visit to post office

This is a discussion on Boy, 10, accidentally kills brother with father's gun after visit to post office within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by KralBlbec He did. I don't think he is so much to blame. He secured it out of sight where they should not ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Boy, 10, accidentally kills brother with father's gun after visit to post office

Quote Originally Posted by KralBlbec View Post
    He did. I don't think he is so much to blame. He secured it out of sight where they should not have been messing with. They were sent to get a coat off of a seat, not a gun out of the glove box, meaning they disobeyed and went searching. Likely they had seen him put it there before and knew what they were doing.
    Kids fail to listen to their parents all the time. The father will surely feel Guilt if he is human. But it is very important to remind the folks that freak out about this the antis. that it was not the Glocks fault.
    You may not like guns. You may choose not to own one. That is your right.
    You might not believe in God. That is your choice.
    However, if someone breaks into your home at 3AM the first two things you are going to do are:
    1) Call someone with a gun.
    2)Pray they get there in time." - A wise man

Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    He didn't think to lock it in the glove box?
    He did. I don't think he is so much to blame. He secured it out of sight where they should not have been messing with.
    Hm. No articles that I have seen describe a desire to lock anything, nor actual locking of anything. They all indicate the gun was "placed in the console." That's it. Which could mean anything, from being placed in a pocket/well that normally holds keys, wallet, coins, to possibly being placed a locking area that some cars have.

It's nice to think of the guy desiring to lock it. But his lack of desire culminated in a child's curiosity gaining control of the gun. There has been no indication of the children doing anything like breaking into locked consoles or glove boxes.

Being open minded is great, where warranted. I'm prepared to consider any other details, if they get presented. And if any details come along that indicate the guy took any pains beyond merely setting the firearm into a pocket/well, then at that time we can wonder at the strength of his desire to secure that firearm. Until then, we're simply left wondering where that strength was, if not in the car at the time he opted to put his unattended gun there.

Sad, all around.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Cocked, Locked, Loaded and ready to go.

Terrible tragedy...

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Hm. No articles that I have seen describe a desire to lock anything, nor actual locking of anything. They all indicate the gun was "placed in the console." That's it. Which could mean anything, from being placed in a pocket/well that normally holds keys, wallet, coins, to possibly being placed a locking area that some cars have.
    I've only ever heard the word "console" in a car to describe either the glove box or the dashboard display, and I've never seen a locking glove box.

I give him the benefit of a doubt, especially considering that it is much easier to remove a holster from a belt (or gun from a holster) than it is to replace it. Not all holsters are easy to reholster. Its not that far fetched to consider that after having removed it once, the post office parking lot isn't the best place to make a scene putting it back on.

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    I've never seen a locking glove box.
    No?

One vehicle I drive has a locking glove box.

The other has a locking center console (area between the two front seats).

Both lock with the vehicle's external door key.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    This one's all on dad. He carelessly bet their lives on the idea that 10 and 11 year old boys wouldn't act like children.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

I wonder how this would have ended had he carried a firearm w/ an external safety. Owned Glocks,Sigs,XD's, revolvers but I like an external safety. Most kids pick up and point without playing with all the switches. Sad...
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

This is why a gun should be locked up in a small lockbox like the Center of Mass safes or the ones they sell at Cabelas. It takes two seconds to do it and no one would have had any regrets that day.

It's the same reason that I lock up all of my guns at home. My daughters are 5 and 2. I've tried to teach them not to touch any of my safes or guns, but I have no illusions that kids listen all of the time.

As we prepare for yet another Civil War reenacting season, we anticipate and look forward to letting people look at and handle and shoot our empty-but-dangerous black-powder guns; knowing that nine out of ten people, especially kids, will pull the trigger as soon as you give them a gun. We will still have to repeat this, as we fear, every year: "KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER! THERE IS NO REASON TO PUT YOUR FINGER ON THAT TRIGGER! POINT IT AT THE AIR OR THE GROUND! GLANCE AT BOTH SIDES BEFORE YOU SHOOT! DON'T SHOOT WITH PEOPLE IN FRONT OF YOU! THIS ISN'T VIETNAM AND YOU DON'T HAVE TO BE READY FOR ACTION!"

GM
    This is a horrible story.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links