Bad : Insanity defense prevails in Burnsville beheading case

This is a discussion on Bad : Insanity defense prevails in Burnsville beheading case within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Chops head off, doesn't realize that will kill her - and the Judge buys that... Insanity defense prevails in Burnsville beheading case A judge found ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad : Insanity defense prevails in Burnsville beheading case

Chops head off, doesn't realize that will kill her - and the Judge buys that...

Insanity defense prevails in Burnsville beheading case

A judge found Stephen R. Miles not guilty, saying he did not realize he'd killed his stepmother in 2005. He will remain at the Minnesota Security Hospital in St. Peter.

According to the 23-page ruling, Miles had been diagnosed in 1998 with "extreme paranoia." By 2005, his mental condition had worsened to a point where he wore a metal pot on his head for fear that a listening device had been implanted in his tooth and could be used to drag him through the roof with an electromagnet.

When he killed his stepmother, he not only beheaded her after striking her in the head with a hatchet, Messerich wrote, but then also put the head in a dishwasher. He had thought the head could be reattached, authorities say, and expressed surprise later that his stepmother had died.
    Insanity defense prevails in Burnsville beheading case | StarTribune.com

Applicable-
    YouTube - Homer woop woop!

sounds like he really was insane; i guess you'd have to be, to do that to someone. tragic.

Hm. If folks can't comprehend how anyone could have done such a thing, then you get off.

Some judges just don't get it.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I'd buy it too.
    Clearly he's nut as based on his acts as stated, and beliefs prior.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Since he didn't know what he did, he should have no problems with working in the hospital's commercial kitchen...dishwashing section...for the rest of his life.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

He's still locked up. Hopefully forever.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Of all places, the dishwasher.

You ever watch the CSI type investigator shows and think, "that doesn't happen.. that's just absurd."

Well, looks like that crazy crap definately happens..
    Forget 'Twitter', i'm on the CB...
    Cruiser Outfitters
    Utah Firearm
    Expedition Utah

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    There actually IS such a thing as insanity; a brain that is biochemically flawed in such a way as to separate the person from what we all normally consider "reality." Is this guy insane? I wouldn't know until I went to med school, mastered psychology, and then had a look at his medical records. I'm hoping that someone involved in the case did this before a judgement was rendered.

Schizophrenics can become exceptionally violent and deadly. This isn't the same as some gang-banging punk thug who beats an old woman to death in her own home for "street cred" or thrills. I have a sense of pity for those who have a genuine mental illness, but at the moment of truth--in the midst of a violent act--my response to both the schizo and the gang-banger will be the same.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Insanity defense = ward of the state until he gets "better". The possibility of recidivism if released...>50%

Death penalty....ward of the state until the system finds his vein. The possibility of recidivism = 0
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    If you really are insane, I have to see that as a valid defense.

Now, doctors and judges should also err heavily on the side of caution when it comes time to consider the release of someone like this.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

When around true schizophrenics, stay armed. My .02 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by jumpwing View Post
    There actually IS such a thing as insanity; a brain that is biochemically flawed in such a way as to separate the person from what we all normally consider "reality." Is this guy insane? I wouldn't know until I went to med school, mastered psychology, and then had a look at his medical records. I'm hoping that someone involved in the case did this before a judgement was rendered.
    I haven't been to grad school yet but I'm almost done with the BA part of my psychology studies. To use the insanity plea an individual is seen by multiple psychologists. They are put through a series of tests and interviews. Also, there has to be a prior documented history of mental illness. There are additional steps but from what I understand it has to be shown that the individual did not know that what they were doing was wrong at the time of their crime. (Someone can correct me if I'm wrong on this)

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Insanity defense = ward of the state until he gets "better". The possibility of recidivism if released...>50%

Death penalty....ward of the state until the system finds his vein. The possibility of recidivism = 0
    Exactly. There should be no insanity defense IMO. If recidivism rate is that bad, then lock them up for life, no parole, solitary or institution if desired. Or put them down like a diseased animal like your run of the mill Death Row candidate. Is either one less dangerous really? Whether they "know" what they do is wrong or not, it's still murder.

Sure you can feel bad for the insane ones, but if they can't be cured and trusted, NO WAY do I want them loose in society.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    hopefully the guy stays in a straight jacket forever... no crayons, no macaroni.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
    Exactly. There should be no insanity defense IMO. If recidivism rate is that bad, then lock them up for life, no parole, solitary or institution if desired. Or put them down like a diseased animal like your run of the mill Death Row candidate. Is either one less dangerous really? Whether they "know" what they do is wrong or not, it's still murder.

Sure you can feel bad for the insane ones, but if they can't be cured and trusted, NO WAY do I want them loose in society.
    schizophrenia (most types, anyway) can't be cured, but can usually be controlled with medication. the biggest problems with medications is that they work so well in controlling the symptoms, the individuals cease having any, think they're cured and don't need the meds anymore, and stop taking their medications.

it's a pretty bad cycle. many people need supervision taking their meds. it's a shame, because for the most part, when they're getting treatment, they're no different than anyone else. when they're sick, they really have no control of what they do.

what this guy did was horrifying, there's no doubt about that. but if he's truly schizophrenic, then you really can't hold him at fault.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links