BAD: Man Shoots Himself on Campus by Accident (Down the road from me)

This is a discussion on BAD: Man Shoots Himself on Campus by Accident (Down the road from me) within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Okay, I am a full-time nursing student in the midst of my hell semester (2nd semester...med-surg sucks...) Anyway, at the start of class today my ...

Thread: BAD: Man Shoots Himself on Campus by Accident (Down the road from me)

Okay, I am a full-time nursing student in the midst of my hell semester (2nd semester...med-surg sucks...) Anyway, at the start of class today my instructor tells us about a shooting the Gaffney, SC Spartanburg Community College satellite campus. She said it was an accident, and it wasn't intentional. She said he had a permit to carry a gun, and accidentally shot himself in the hand. She said however despite state law, guns were not allowed on campus, not allowed in your glove compartment, even if you have a CWP. THIS however is not true. Just this year, a new law was passed allowing CWP holders to have their gun in their glove compartment or middle console while on campus. They must have it off their person before they are on school property. Granted, the man should be charged, but not for possession of a firearm, it should be for discharge of the firearm. I thought about correcting her after class, but she was adamant that since the school has "No Concealed Weapons Signs" they didn't have to listen to state law I would just be barking up the wrong tree and drawing unwanted attention to myself. (The school receives state funding, and is NOT a private institution.)

So, without further ado...here's the story about the total idiot.

Charge expected in gun accident at community college | News | GoUpstate.com

Charge expected in gun accident at community college

By Janet S. Spencer
    janet.spencer@shj.com

Published: Thursday, March 4, 2010 at 3:15 a.m.
    Last Modified: Wednesday, March 3, 2010 at 11:56 p.m.

GAFFNEY -- A 57-year-old man who told police he accidentally fired a pistol, injuring his hand on the Cherokee County campus of Spartanburg Community College, faces a criminal charge, authorities said Wednesday.

Gaffney police, EMS and first responders were called about 7 p.m. Tuesday to the campus and found Ike Dean Atkins, 57, of 763 Apple Orchard Road, who reported the shooting.

Atkins was inside a building foyer at 102 Campus Drive. He said he had accompanied his wife to the college, where she had a class, and was waiting for her in the parking area inside their vehicle.

A Gaffney police report stated Atkins, who has a concealed weapons permit, said he had cleaned the gun and was putting it away when he shot himself.

He was taken to Spartanburg Regional Medical Center for treatment and released, hospital officials said.

Cheri Anderson-Hucks, director of marketing and public relations for Spartanburg Community College, said campus security Chief Andre Kerr began the process Wednesday morning to charge Atkins with violating state law by having the gun on the property.

The charge was expected to be finalized today.

"There are large signs posted at the entrances, 'No weapons allowed on campus.' Of course, our concern is the safety of our students, faculty and staff, and emergency response was immediate and great," Hucks said.

Atkins could not be reached for comment.
    Sejune
    Glock 30 .45
    Springfield XD 9

The charge should be "Stupidity"...IMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    +1

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    He was fiddling around Idle hands...

I especially like that just anybody can put up a sign that overrides state law. I'm just giddy thinking about a few I want to make...
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Who the hell cleans a gun in a car,Thats it I'm never gonna clean a gun again they just seem to go off anytime they get cleaned
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    He was fiddling around Idle hands...

I especially like that just anybody can put up a sign that overrides state law. I'm just giddy thinking about a few I want to make...
    The state of SC has very explicit requirements for no guns signs. If the signs do not meet the requirement, they can be ignored. 90% of the signs I see do not meet the requirements.

He should be charged for breaking the school gun law, which said it had to be in a glove compartment, console or other latched container and for the unlawful discharge.

When our new school and campus law was passed, some people were concerned about the increased handling of loaded weapons that it would cause. To be legal, if you were carrying, you would have to stop somewhere outside of schools grounds and place your weapon in one of the approved places in your car. Then retrieve it after you have left school gounds. This law is only minutely better than what we had previously. This guy is not helping our case at all.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    the guy is a moron... I agree he was probably fiddling with a loaded gun
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

I have a question and maybe its because I never cleaned a gun or have not had the priviledge of owning a pistol yet.

BUT wouldnt cleaning a gun in a car be a little difficult? Unless he just wiped it down with a rag do guns not have small parts?
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

Is shooting yourself in the hand enough justice served? Those school policies sure do keep guns off campus! I bet he wolnt do that again.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    Question everything, Learn something, Answer nothing.
    Those who have an answer for everything, have an answer for nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Spade115 View Post
    I have a question and maybe its because I never cleaned a gun or have not had the priviledge of owning a pistol yet.

BUT wouldnt cleaning a gun in a car be a little difficult? Unless he just wiped it down with a rag do guns not have small parts?
    Most pistols today only have a few parts mostly big to disassemble for cleaning,(the takedown pin,slide,barrel,guide rod and spring,and the gun frame...........And the Ninja bullet that seems to appear and fire whenever some Idjit cleans a gun
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Who the hell cleans a gun in a car,Thats it I'm never gonna clean a gun again they just seem to go off anytime they get cleaned
    Who cleans a loaded gun?

Spade115, usually folks use a solvent of some sort and some may spill in the car, not a good idea. Then you have dirty, smelly patches.

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar
    Poor guy. Now he's got to clean it all over again.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

An interesting update...I contacted the campus chief of security and have exchanged emails with him. The school believes they can post "No Concealed Weapons Signs" and that will get around the new state law allowing CWP to keep their guns in their vehicles while on campus. I can post the emails if anyone is interested. I have forwarded the information to Senator Shane Martin, who sponsored the state bill, and I have also been in touch with Grass Roots South Carolina, who fights for gun rights in the state. They have emailed me back already and have offered to take the lead on this issue! I am very excited to see what they are able to do with this situation and hopefully set the school straight.
    Sejune
    Glock 30 .45
    Springfield XD 9

Quote Originally Posted by Sejune View Post
    An interesting update...I contacted the campus chief of security and have exchanged emails with him. The school believes they can post "No Concealed Weapons Signs" and that will get around the new state law allowing CWP to keep their guns in their vehicles while on campus. I can post the emails if anyone is interested. I have forwarded the information to Senator Shane Martin, who sponsored the state bill, and I have also been in touch with Grass Roots South Carolina, who fights for gun rights in the state. They have emailed me back already and have offered to take the lead on this issue! I am very excited to see what they are able to do with this situation and hopefully set the school straight.
    They should post a no idiot zone,but then most of teachers and students would be banned

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Amen to that!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Sponsored Links