Gunman killed, officer injured in shootout at Walmart...

This is a discussion on Gunman killed, officer injured in shootout at Walmart... within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Another shopping day at Wally World? Gunman killed, officer injured in shootout at Walmart in Commerce 06:25 PM CST on Sunday, March 7, 2010 By ...

Thread: Gunman killed, officer injured in shootout at Walmart...

Gunman killed, officer injured in shootout at Walmart...

Another shopping day at Wally World?

Gunman killed, officer injured in shootout at Walmart in Commerce
    06:25 PM CST on Sunday, March 7, 2010

By ERIC AASEN and JASON SICKLES / The Dallas Morning News

COMMERCE – A shooting spree on Sunday left an off-duty police officer injured and a suspect dead at a Walmart near the campus of Texas A&M-Commerce.

JASON SICKLES/DMN
    Two Texas Department of Public Safety troopers stand guard Sunday at a Walmart in Commerce where a shootout left a suspect dead and an off-duty Delta County sheriff's deputy injured.
    View larger Photography Photo store
    The incident began about noon in Greenville, about 12 miles southwest of Commerce. It started when Greenville police reported shots fired from a red Ford Mustang at the Wesley Street bridge in Greenville. A few minutes later, Commerce police spotted the car toward their city limits. They said a man was pointing a gun at them, which caused them to fire shots.

The suspect headed over to a Walmart on State Highway 24, police said. Kala Ryan, a waitress at a nearby restaurant, said she saw officers confront the man in the parking lot.

"They had him at gunpoint and were trying to get him to put his weapon down," she said.

Instead, the suspect fled into the Walmart, where he apparently was confronted by an off-duty sheriff's deputy from nearby Delta County. The deputy and Commerce police confronted the man as he tried to leave the store.

Commerce, Texas
    Witnesses said at least eight shots were fired during the shootout. Store employees and a few Sunday shoppers scrambled for cover. The suspect was shot and killed. The off-duty officer was wounded and was transported via CareFlite to East Texas Medical Center in Tyler.

Police have not released the names of the injured officer or the deceased man.

Sunday afternoon, police were examining the suspect's red Mustang in the Walmart parking lot. The driver's side was riddled with bullet holes. Police were also questioning several Walmart employees who witnessed the shooting.

Joann Sanchez and Debra Boyd, who are sisters, arrived at the store about 3:30 p.m. to pick up their parents, both of whom are greeters at the Walmart. Boyd said her mother saw the gunman in the store just before the shootout.

"She said his left eye and face were messed up," Boyd said. "She didn't know if it was something that happened at the store or somewhere else."

Commerce is a town of about 8,000 people 60 miles northeast of Dallas.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

2. Remove Ads

You'd think walmarts would be the safest place on earth what with all the Wallyworld Walks.
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by dsee11789 View Post
    You'd think walmarts would be the safest place on earth what with all the Wallyworld Walks.
    Well, think again. In Fort Lauderdale area, several Wal-Marts are located in very bad areas; I do not know if it is cheaper for them in that way or what. I do not like WW very much, but if I have to visit one night time I prefer to drive 13 miles to the one that is located in a better area.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Quote Originally Posted by dsee11789 View Post
    You must not be on the "People of Wal Mart Mailing List" like I somehow seem to be. :)
    For some reason, my friends think I need to see all these pictures of Wal Mart Shoppers. They scare me!

If you's like I'll forward you the next addition I get!!!!

What really amazes me about this shooting is that this could happen in Commerce TX. The one place where I'd figure everyone in there would be packing heat. And no one took a shot at him.

What is it with Wallmart? There seem to be an awful lot of morons visiting.
    Sig 226, 228. Glock 19, 23. Smith Model 60,and 1911. XD45 Tactical. Mossberg 930 SPX.

How we behave as gun owners is important. Posturing and threatening does not serve us well in the public eye.

Well, it showed a potential shooter can be stopped, by an armed individual. The officer was off-duty... plain clothes.

Links