3-year old mistakes gun for Wii Remote and kills herself

This is a discussion on 3-year old mistakes gun for Wii Remote and kills herself within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Tragedy struck Sunday night in Tennessee as Cheyenne Alexis McKeehan picked up a gun and shot herself in the abdomen. The 3-year was rushed to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3-year old mistakes gun for Wii Remote and kills herself

3-year old mistakes gun for Wii Remote and kills herself

Tragedy struck Sunday night in Tennessee as Cheyenne Alexis McKeehan picked up a gun and shot herself in the abdomen. The 3-year was rushed to the hospital and announce dead that night.
    The step-father said that he had got out the .380 caliber semi automatic handgun to frighten dogs that had been lurking in their yard, according to Tennessean.com. He claims he was asleep at the time of the incident, but he had left the loaded gun on a table where Cheyenne grabbed it and fatally shot herself.
    The little girl's mother was in the room at the time of occurance. The authorities state that she "pulled the gun off the table and it went off." The mother claims that Cheyenne plays with a Wii game that uses a gun peripheral and she must have mistaken the real gun for the Wii one. This also leads to the question, did the mother mistake the real gun for the Wii peripheral, too?
    Wilson County Sheriff Terry Ashe said that the case is being investigated and no charges have been filed at this time. The image above shows the actual gun that Cheyenne fatally shot herself with on top and the bottom is the Wii gun peripheral.

I hope he burns in HELL for this!

May she rest in peace

2. Remove Ads

Mic
    Dumbasses like this make us all look bad. Cheyenne is in better hands now, may she rest in peace
    Timid people sleep peacefully at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Molôn Labé!

What a Moron!!!
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    Stupid stupid stupid idiot!!!!!!!! Never never never leave any gun, loaded or unloaded out like that!!!!
    For God, Family and Country!

Senseless, complacent, idiotic......... permanent......... MISTAKE
    You may not like guns. You may choose not to own one. That is your right.
    You might not believe in God. That is your choice.
    However, if someone breaks into your home at 3AM the first two things you are going to do are:
    1) Call someone with a gun.
    2)Pray they get there in time." - A wise man

Ugh. I hate reading about these stories. I have two small daughters (5 and 2) and have taught my older daughter not to touch my guns. But there's no way that I would trust either of them with my guns. They're either on me or in a locked safe.

Leaving a loaded gun on a table is beyond lazy and careless.

I googled 3 Year old Shootings and found about 4 in the last 2 years in the same matter. WHAT is wrong with these people! You can get a safe at walmart for $25 bucks.

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    I bet this is why my dad always had the rule: "If it looks like a gun, treat it like a gun." We didn't have anything that looked even remotely like an actual gun.

The closest thing was probably the Nintendo Duck Hunt gun, I remember the first time I was playing with it I pointed it at him...he was really upset and I quickly learned not to do that.

That, and he kept his REAL guns locked up.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

What part of "keep control of your gun" , do some people not get ? That's not close to keeping control of your gun.

I reflect all the sentiment above, but also, what does he mean "to scare the dogs off"? Do dogs understand what a gun pointed at them means? I don't think so, all they see is another human with something in his hand... unless he was thinking of shooting into the gronud or something, which is whole other kind of stupid...

I bought my daughter 2 guns 2 years ago for christmas,A S&W MP 9c and a Sig Mosquito,I also bought her a handgun safe to keep them in due to my 5 year old Granddaughter,It would have been Irresponsible for her not to be able to secure the guns out of her reach
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by Mic View Post
    Dumbasses like this make us all look bad.
    Yep.

Since when is a handgun appropriate "to frighten dogs"?!
    That's what water hoses and sprinklers are for...Or how about call the town/city animal control and have them do that job?!

Both parents are at fault.
    The dad for being an idiot and the mom for being a moron to not be smart/wise/aware enough to look out for her daughter by staying on top of her husband toward his idiotic gun handling and usage manner.

BTW the Wii 'gun' called a "Zapper" looks like this...

Wii Zapper at Nintendo :: Wii :: What Is Wii? :: Accessories

It does not look _anything_ even remotely similar to any handgun firearm of any sort.
    And if that second item in the OPs story is their 'gun' then that is some aftermarket item they bought.

Still the father and mothers explanation is thinner than spiders silk.
    The real problem here is that they let their child down for being an idiot and moron.

http://www.projectchildsafe.org

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

What a sickening mistake...if you have guns, you must be on top of their care...24/7.
    As easily avoidable tragedy...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Anyone ignorant enough to use a handgun to "scare off dogs" is probably not bright enough to own one.
    Tragic case in point here.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

That is really sad. KNOWING you have kids, who in their right mind would leave a cocked and locked firearm sitting within arms reach of a child? Why not leave a bottle of open Pine Sol down there for them too while you're at it.
    One of the most dangerous political philosophies afflicting America today is the belief that we can’t allow anyone to suffer the natural consequences of their own stupidity.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links