Bad : Ohio University Campus Shooting

Bad : Ohio University Campus Shooting

This is a discussion on Bad : Ohio University Campus Shooting within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Is is just me or do we see a rise in the number of school related shooting incidents? College campuses seem to be really unfriendly ...

Thread: Bad : Ohio University Campus Shooting

Thumbs down Bad : Ohio University Campus Shooting

Is is just me or do we see a rise in the number of school related shooting incidents? College campuses seem to be really unfriendly places lately.

Police: Shooting on Ohio campus kills 1, wounds 2
    March 09, 2010 @ 07:10 AM

The Associated Press

Herald-Dispatch.com

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — Authorities say a shooting on the Ohio State University campus has left one person dead and injured two others.

According to an OSU police dispatcher, the three people were shot inside a maintenance building near the campus’ power plant early Tuesday.

Police told WBNS-TV in Columbus that one person was pronounced dead at the scene, and two others were taken to Ohio State University Medical Center, where one victim was in critical condition and another in stable condition.

Police say none of the victims were believed to have been students.

Police say the shooting suspect has been taken into custody.
    Police: Shooting on Ohio campus kills 1, wounds 2 - The Herald Dispatch
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Update : O.U. Shooting

Here is an update on this shooting. Apparently a disgruntled worker taking revenge.

Suspect kills self in Ohio State shooting, police sayMarch 9, 2010 11:58 a.m. EST

The shooting occurred early Tuesday at a maintenance building on the Ohio State University campus in Columbus.STORY HIGHLIGHTS
    NEW: Authorities find suspect Nathaniel Brown, 51, suffering from self-inflicted gunshot
    NEW: Police: Worker apparently angry at poor job review also kills manager, wounds another
    "Classes will be held and normal work schedules are in effect," university Web site says

RELATED TOPICS
    The Ohio State University
    School Shootings
    Crime
    (CNN) -- A man apparently angry over a poor performance evaluation entered an Ohio State University maintenance building early Tuesday and opened fire, killing a manager before turning the gun on himself, police said.

Larry Wallington, 48, a building services manager at the OSU Maintenance Building, was pronounced dead at the scene of the 3:30 a.m. ET shooting, Ohio State University Police Chief Paul Denton said. Wallington was a 10-year university employee, he said.

Authorities found suspect Nathaniel Brown, 51, a custodial worker, suffering from a self-inflicted gunshot at the scene, Denton said. He was transported to the Ohio State University Medical Center, where he was dead on arrival.

Police believe Brown -- a probational employee since October who had received a poor performance review -- entered the building dressed in dark clothing carrying two handguns and began firing into an office suite, Denton said. Officials would not say when Brown received the review, who gave it to him or provide further details, citing the ongoing investigation.

A third person, Henry Butler, 60, an operations shift leader, also was shot. He was in stable condition at the OSU Medical Center, Denton said.

Police earlier Tuesday had said that two people were wounded and one killed and that the alleged shooter was in custody.

About a half-dozen employees were at the building when the shooting occurred, and some witnessed it, authorities said.

Ohio State's Web site said the building where the shooting occurred was secured, and some traffic restrictions remained in place Tuesday morning. "The university continues normal operations," the school said. "Classes will be held and normal work schedules are in effect."

E-mail alerts were sent to students warning them about the shooting, the university said.

The shooting comes after the university issued e-mail alerts last week about two alleged sexual assaults and an attempted assault on campus, Ohio State's student newspaper reported.

The student newspaper, The Lantern, published an article Sunday saying that students were questioning the effectiveness of such e-mail alerts after three serious crimes last week.

Students are allowed to choose if they want to receive the e-mail alerts. On the campus of 50,000-plus students, a little more than 2,600 people receive the e-mails, police told the student paper.

A university committee was scheduled to meet this week to determine if changes needed to be made to the notification system, The Lantern reported.
    Suspect kills self in Ohio State shooting, police say - CNN.com

When were college campuses friendly?

When I was in college and that age every campus I knew of and hung out on had all manner of crime; Violent crime from rape (pre-date rape drugging time frame) and assaults to stabbings and murders too.
    As well through the 60s and 70s (I'm of the late 80s and early 90s) colleges had all manner of issues with on campus violence and violent activity from Kent State to the Willard Straight Hall takeover at Cornell Univ.

Maybe stuff was different back in the 50s and pre-war for colleges and university campuses, back when nobody but the elite, rich and politically connected could dream to attend 'university'...And by that population density per acre at same places were much lower and thus odds of issue and associated violence far lower.

Colleges and universitys are nothing more than towns and even citys unto themself.
    It surprises me that people think of them as being anything other than that. But then I have spent my entire life living among college towns; Wash. DC and College Park, MD.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Just last week had a member on this board expressing concerns over safety at Ohio State. This is a shame. Guess the ban on campus guns didn't affect the shooter, only the students.

I am so happy to be graduating in May. I am sick of leaving my constitutional rights at the door.
    Healthy children will not fear life, if their parents have integrity enough not to fear death.
    -TIME DEUM ET OPERARE IUSTITIAM--

A university committee was scheduled to meet this week to determine if changes needed to be made to the notification system, The Lantern reported.
    If we can just get that pesky notification system sorted out then all this criminal activity will stop....NOT.

Instead of meeting about changes to the notification system maybe they should meet to talk about changes to their firearms policy and let people have concealed weapons to defend themselves from assaults and murderous rampages that all these bans are supposed to stop but cannot stop for some strange reason. Don't they know these things are banned on campus????
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth keystone... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference."
    - GEORGE WASHINGTON

Quote Originally Posted by TheSaiga308 View Post
    If we can just get that pesky notification system sorted out then all this criminal activity will stop....NOT.

Instead of meeting about changes to the notification system maybe they should meet to talk about changes to their firearms policy and let people have concealed weapons to defend themselves from assaults and murderous rampages that all these bans are supposed to stop but cannot stop for some strange reason. Don't they know these things are banned on campus????
    While I agree with you that people (and I consider students and professors to be people too, even though many of them are flaming liberals) should be able to have concealed weapons to defend themselves from violence that all the bans do not/cannot stop, unfortunately, here in Ohio, even if the university wanted to change the firearms policy, they could not! Concealed carry at a university is specifically prohibited by state law. It would take the state legislature to change it--not the university officials.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Quote Originally Posted by ScubaDuba View Post
    I am so happy to be graduating in May. I am sick of leaving my constitutional rights at the door.
    After 4 years in the Army, I just started my college career. I carry pepper spray, folding knife, and a kubaton. It sucks not being able to carry a handgun.

Correct me in I'm wrong, but I believe that UT is the only state with no campus shootings...what could possibly make the difference?
    Mmmmm, let me see... Utah only state to allow guns on campus

I'll bet Mr. Brown's next job review goes much smoother, I mean how tough can working in a prison food line be?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

you guys could all get in a bunch of trouble for not referring to it as THE Ohio State University. Ohio University is in Athens.

Quote Originally Posted by natticarry View Post
    you guys could all get in a bunch of trouble for not referring to it as THE Ohio State University. Ohio University is in Athens.
    Is Ohio State a '4-year' school?

Go Gators!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Is Ohio State a '4-year' school?

Go Gators!
    I'm a Purdue alum but I have some friends that might take offense to that.

Quote Originally Posted by natticarry View Post
    Yep, I stand corrected. The "O.U." was just a typo. I know the whereabouts of the two universities

Oh, and Ret99.....Mr. Brown shot and killed himself after killing someone there, so his "next job interview" might be a little on the "hot" side.

Know what I'm sayin'?

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I'll bet Mr. Brown's next job review goes much smoother, I mean how tough can working in a prison food line be?
    He's dead Jim...

Quote Originally Posted by article
    Authorities found suspect Nathaniel Brown, 51, a custodial worker, suffering from a self-inflicted gunshot at the scene, Denton said. He was transported to the Ohio State University Medical Center, where he was dead on arrival.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Sponsored Links