Man arrested after legally? buying guns

This is a discussion on Man arrested after legally? buying guns within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I thought this was interesting. I'm curious how this will play out. Police act swiftly after gun purchases ODOT worker who'd been put on leave ...

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Man arrested after legally? buying guns

I thought this was interesting. I'm curious how this will play out.

Police act swiftly after gun purchases

ODOT worker who'd been put on leave is mentally evaluated after buying handguns, AK-47

March 09, 2010
    Anita Burke
    By Anita Burke
    Mail Tribune

Concerns about an Oregon Department of Transportation employee who purchased several guns after being placed on leave prompted law enforcement across Southern Oregon to step in.

Negotiators and a SWAT team from Medford police safely took a man — whose name wasn't released — into protective custody Monday morning in the 500 block of Effie Street, Medford police said in a news release.

He was taken to Rogue Valley Medical Center for a mental-health evaluation.

The man recently had been placed on administrative leave from his job and was "very disgruntled," the news release said.

ODOT Communications Director Patrick Cooney said there were administrative, personnel matters involved that limited what the department could discuss.

However, the state agency had reported concerns about the man to law enforcement agencies, who started monitoring him, officials said.

"We had concerning information regarding a personnel issue and were watching the subject," Jackson County Sheriff Mike Winters said.

In two days, the man bought a Heckler & Koch .45-caliber universal self-loading handgun, a Walther .380-caliber handgun and an AK-47 assault rifle, Medford police Lt. Bob Hansen said. All of those firearms were purchased legally, with required record checks by the Oregon State Police.

Authorities were "extremely concerned" that the man may have been planning to retaliate against his employers, the news release said.

"Instead of being reactive, we took a proactive approach," OSP Sgt. Jeff Proulx said.

Douglas and Jackson County sheriff's departments, OSP officers based in both counties and police in Medford and Roseburg collaborated, he said.

Medford police watched the man's home overnight, starting at about 9 p.m. Sunday, Hansen said.

Because he was known to have weapons, police wanted to defuse the situation and ensure the man wasn't a danger to himself or others before the neighborhood awakened and people started their daily activities, Hansen said.

Medford's hostage negotiators and SWAT team were called in at 3 a.m. Monday and arrived on the scene at about 5:45 a.m., he said.

About a dozen officers responded. They closed the street for about an hour and evacuated three homes to protect neighbors and prevent bystanders from gathering, he said.

After a phone conversation with negotiators, the man — who was alone in the home — agreed to come out, Hansen said.

Police seized the recently purchased firearms, as well as another .45-caliber Heckler & Koch handgun and a 12-gauge shotgun. Police are holding the weapons for safekeeping, but no criminal charges have been filed.

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    A "self loading .45?" I want one of those none of my guns know how to load themselves.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    ummmmmm.... wow....

I hope the PD can cough up some money... this guy is going to have lawyers breaking down his door.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

WOW!!! Did anyone else think "Minority Report" as they read this?
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    ----
    If not me, then who?

When I read stuff like that, I think "how far away are we from thought police"? Sickening.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Administrator
    I can only hope that the gun purchases were not the catalyst of this event. I have to think there is a few more details that haven't been released.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I think the state agency really screwed up; if the guy they laid off was "disgruntled", now they can add "rich" to that title as well after he gets through suing them for violating his civil rights and slandering him......Serious HR stuff here.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by CowboyColby View Post
    A "self loading .45?" I want one of those none of my guns know how to load themselves.
    They probably are refering to semi-auto, but yes, I know what you mean.....
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I can only hope that the gun purchases were not the catalyst of this event. I have to think there is a few more details that haven't been released.
    Yep, there had to be a reason for...."The man recently had been placed on administrative leave from his job".

-Will Rogers

WOW be interested to see how it plays out keep us posted.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Hmmmm... wouldn't he have to had something along the lines like: "I'm going to kill you all" in order for the police to have done anything like they did?

So since police can be so pro active now... does that mean, they can go around taking people's property because they THINK that some individual might do something? Like take someone's car because they THINK they might be able to speed in it?

Smells like fish to me!
    One of the most dangerous political philosophies afflicting America today is the belief that we can’t allow anyone to suffer the natural consequences of their own stupidity.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by CowboyColby View Post
    In H&K parlance, "USP" means "Universal Self-loading Pistol".

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Quote Originally Posted by MattInFla View Post
    In H&K parlance, "USP" means "Universal Self-loading Pistol".

Matt
    Thank you for the info!
    I do not own nor have I handled any H&Ks.

-Will Rogers

We don't know what transpired at his job to put him on leave, or what caused someone to go to the police.

It could have been something serious that the ODOT just isn't making public, but serious enough that they felt their was a legit danger, and called the police accordingly.

The cops here are faced with a bad choice:

#1 Do nothing and hope they don't have a massacre;

#2 Be proactive and get villified for acting.

We have courts for this kind of thing. Let it get hashed out that way.

Seems awfully heavy handed, for simple fears of possible action based on nothing more than purchase of a couple firearms. He's got a bit of free time on his hands, now. That's as likely an explanation of the purchases as anything else.

It's interesting to wonder how claims of being "disgruntled" got into the state firearms purchasing and background check system as a "flag" that could notify people in situations where recent purchases are made by such persons who are feared. Makes you wonder about who tracks what, in the State.

He could simply be questioned and reviewed. I can't see what justifies arrest and involuntary commission for psych eval. He has done nothing illegal.

Land of Liberty. Seemingly becoming a Land of Fearful, Knee-Jerk Reactionaries.

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    We don't know what transpired at his job to put him on leave, or what caused someone to go to the police.
    We only have the scenario as reported. I'm all for imagining what might be missing. And, at this early stage, probably much is missing. But with the stated elements from the public announcement, there is laughably little justification.

#2 Be proactive and get villified for acting.
    Vilification isn't likely if it's justified.

We have courts for this kind of thing. Let it get hashed out that way.
    I have no problems with a court approach to redress and restitution. So long as this guy doesn't get hung out to dry six ways from Sunday, as so often seems to be the case. We'll see.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links