Good: Granny Gets Her Gun

This is a discussion on Good: Granny Gets Her Gun within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Story on channel 11, WTOL.com 67 year old woman shoots at intruder. Video - WTOL.com - Toledo's News Leader |...

Thread: Good: Granny Gets Her Gun

Story on channel 11, WTOL.com 67 year old woman shoots at intruder.

Video - WTOL.com - Toledo's News Leader |

Thumbs up Granny needs a bigger gun!

Did she hit him at all?

Good for Granny. I'm wondering if a brick thrown through a window is sufficient grounds to shoot someone? Certainly a woman could do it and not be charged. Could I? In Connecticut?
    Sig 226, 228. Glock 19, 23. Smith Model 60,and 1911. XD45 Tactical. Mossberg 930 SPX.

How we behave as gun owners is important. Posturing and threatening does not serve us well in the public eye.

Quote Originally Posted by mojust View Post
    Good for Granny. I'm wondering if a brick thrown through a window is sufficient grounds to shoot someone? Certainly a woman could do it and not be charged. Could I? In Connecticut?
    He supposedly was in the process of climbing through when she started shooting.....
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

In CT, the only reason for which you may shoot someone outside your house (presumably, from inside) before he actually enters is if that person is about to commit arson.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I love her comment that if he decides to stay on the path he's on, he gets shot the head next time. Tell um, grandma!

I didn't hear that in the story, I heard she shot when she heard them trying to come in after that and to me, in my state anyways, that falls under the castle doctrine.

Being put in that same situation, I would have tried to lay low and quiet until I could have at least got a good target outline to shoot at instead of just spraying bullets which is what she seemed to do, but in the moment of adrenaline and pannick its hard to say exactly what we would do.

Here's what my state says. You need to know what yours says.

...to create a rebuttable presumption that
    a person acted in self defense or defense of another when
    using defensive force that is intended or likely to cause
    death or great bodily harm to another if the person against
    whom the defensive force is used is in the process of
    entering or has entered, unlawfully and without privilege
    to do so, the residence or vehicle occupied by the person
    using the defensive force

Kansas

§ 21-3211: Use of force in defense of a person; no duty to retreat.
    (a) A person is justified in the use of force against another when and to the extent it appears to such person and such person reasonably believes that such force is necessary to defend such person or a third person against such other's imminent use of unlawful force.
    (b) A person is justified in the use of deadly force under circumstances described in subsection (a) if such person reasonably believes deadly force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to such person or a third person.
    (c) Nothing in this section shall require a person to retreat if such person is using force to protect such person or a third person.

§ 21-3212: Use of force in defense of dwelling; no duty to retreat.
    (a) A person is justified in the use of force against another when and to the extent that it appears to such person and such person reasonably believes that such force is necessary to prevent or terminate such other's unlawful entry into or attack upon such person's dwelling or occupied vehicle.
    (b) A person is justified in the use of deadly force to prevent or terminate unlawful entry into or attack upon any dwelling or occupied vehicle if such person reasonably believes deadly force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to such person or another.
    (c) Nothing in this section shall require a person to retreat if such person is using force to protect such person's dwelling or occupied vehicle.

§21-3213: Use of force in defense of property other than a dwelling.
    A person who is lawfully in possession of property other than a dwelling is justified in the threat or use of force against another for the purpose of preventing or terminating an unlawful interference with such property. Only such degree of force or threat thereof as a reasonable man would deem necessary to prevent or terminate the interference may intentionally be used.

§21-3218: No duty to retreat; exceptions.
    (a) A person who is not engaged in an unlawful activity and who is attacked in a place where such person has a right to be has no duty to retreat and has the right to stand such person's ground and meet force with force.

I'm glad she took care of business. Thats the way it should be.

I just wish the law would quit trying to hard to protect criminals.
    One of the most dangerous political philosophies afflicting America today is the belief that we can’t allow anyone to suffer the natural consequences of their own stupidity.

Links