boredom = Tower of Hanoi

boredom = Tower of Hanoi

This is a discussion on boredom = Tower of Hanoi within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Can you get 15 on the first try? ...NO CHEATING!! Mini-version of the Tower of Hanoi Tower of Hanoi | Thinks.com 3 discs is too ...

Thread: boredom = Tower of Hanoi

boredom = Tower of Hanoi

Can you get 15 on the first try? ...NO CHEATING!!
    Mini-version of the Tower of Hanoi
    Tower of Hanoi | Thinks.com
    3 discs is too easy. Bump it up to 4 to start with.

If you start with 4 discs you should be able to get it down to 15 moves. I think that's about the lowest number of possible moves to completion that you can go.

Any mathematicians in here should know this one well...
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    As a mathematician, I am glad to say I remembered the solution algorithm for four disks. 15 moves, 25 seconds.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Quote Originally Posted by kazzaerexys View Post
    As a mathematician, I am glad to say I remembered the solution algorithm for four disks. 15 moves, 25 seconds.
    hahaha...I knew there would be a mathematician on here.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

6 disks
    63 moves
    2:15

Last time I did a Tower of Hanoi puzzle, you had to physically move actual disks with your hands.
    Last edited by ak56; March 11th, 2010 at 04:57 PM. Reason: Forum changed time into a frownie face

Last time I heard about Tower of Hanoi, it was a complicated tape backup rotational schema.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    I had a plastic version of this when I was a kid, called the tower of "Mandalay", probably to avoid copyright infringement; it had 8 disks and was a lot of fun. The minimum number of moves for n disks is simply (2 to the nth power) - 1.

Much later in a C programming language class, I had to write a program to execute the solution for n disks, with a recursively called routine. That was tricky and also fun.

15 moves 21 seconds (try number 3 because I forgot the sequence)
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    When I was in grad school, I once taught an intensive three-week summer course for gifted 8th graders. It was a really interesting syllabus to get them to understand mathematical concepts without relying on typical rote classroom work; very hands on and interactive.

Starting from a physical Tower of Hanoi game (probably four disks, but I don't recall), I had a bunch of 13/14-year olds derive and prove the 2^n - 1 solution algorithm for the game in one day (about six hours).

That was awesome.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

My first try was 9 moves in 14 seconds.
    Nill illigitimi carborundum
    -----------------------------
    Captain von Trapp: If the Nazis take over Austria, I have no doubt, Herr Zeller, that you will be the entire trumpet section.
    Herr Zeller: You flatter me, Captain.
    Captain von Trapp: Oh, how clumsy of me - I meant to accuse you.

Sponsored Links