Not only a great comedian....

This is a discussion on Not only a great comedian.... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Red Skelton...many on here, because of their youth, have probably never heard of, much less seen, Red Skelton perform. Not only was he a great ...

Thread: Not only a great comedian....

Not only a great comedian....

Red Skelton...many on here, because of their youth, have probably never heard of, much less seen, Red Skelton perform. Not only was he a great comedian, but he was a great citizen of this United States. Attached is a clip that he is known for.....hope those that have not seen it will enjoy and pnder, especially since it was done in 1969.......

Red Skelton's Pledge of Allegiance | Put Christ Back Into Schools | Causes
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

2. Remove Ads

I've always loved that clip. I remember the first time I heard it was when I was down range years ago. He was a great comedian, it's sad he had to pass on back in '97.

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    I used to be a photographer for a magazine in the 80's and early 90's, I got to photograph Red at a press conference. Red painted clowns, and had a show of his art in Sarasota, the home of the Ringling Brothers Circus.

He was as warm and as sweet as all the old-timers here remember... it wasn't an act. The guy you saw on TV was the same guy in person. After the press conference, I hung around to try to meet him. I approached him and said, "I just wanted to meet you and shake your hand... when I was a small child, your show was a fixture in our home. I don't think you will ever know the influence you had on me, and the influence you no doubt had on millions of others..."

And with a twinkle in his eye, he shook my hand and said, "Oh, sure I do... the penitentiaries are full of 'em..."

Got to talk with him alone for about 10 minutes... I won't forget it...
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

I'm 24 and know exactly who the man was :) But i'm probably in the minority in my age bracket.
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

His movies were and still are great fun to watch. His show was never missed in our house. I can almost see him now as Freddie the Freeloader singing a duet with Judy Garland or Greer Garson or Judy Canova....Too long ago for my brain cells.. . "We aint got a bundle of money........"

bosco

He was the greatest. During an interview a reporter asked what he thought of the "modern" comedians. He was not impressed at all. He said if a comedian has to use profanity to be funny, he's no comedian. I agree. Jack Benny was another good one.

Red also composed several symphonic scores, which were to be released at the time of his death....
    Bits and pieces were 'leaked' on a couple of his old Tuesday night shows on CBS....
    Red's philosophy re: today's so-called "comics".....is SPOT ON!
    Just using four-letter words....AIN'T FUNNY!!
    When God created Mr. Skelton....he broke the mold.....
    As it should be....with ANY masterpiece!!!

I remember getting that clip of him talking about the Pledge of Allegiance. He was a really great guy, and very funny too.

I also remember watching him on his TV shows in the 1960's. I always liked the skit with Gertrude and Heathcliff, the two sea gulls.
    He always ended his shows with a kind "God bless"!
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    If you input the data correctly you could spreadsheet & graph problems in America going up as God's presence and mention in public schools came down.
    For God, Family and Country!

Links