Way off topic - Airline delayed by...roaches!

This is a discussion on Way off topic - Airline delayed by...roaches! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; You'd think there were enough cockroaches in the District of Crime already, but no... Now they're importing them from Florida. This has to be the ...

Thread: Way off topic - Airline delayed by...roaches!

Way off topic - Airline delayed by...roaches!

You'd think there were enough cockroaches in the District of Crime already, but no... Now they're importing them from Florida.

This has to be the first time I've seen something like this.

Airline Passengers 'Delayed By Roaches' | WUSA9.com | Washington, DC |
    Airline Passengers 'Delayed By Roaches'
    WASHINGTON, DC (WUSA) -- We've heard about airline delays causes by a number of factors; mechanical issues, weather problems, traffic gridlock at the airport. But earlier this month, one DC resident and regular flier faced a type of airline delay she has never encountered before.

Miami to Reagan National Airport, an American Airlines flight Alissa Kempler says she will never forget. She says "At the end of the day I think it ended up being an hour and a half delay."

The flight crew was dealing with a group of unwelcome passengers, an unusual delay: Delayed by roaches.

A stewardess told Kempler "There are roaches on the plane." She found out "there are actually 50 roaches and they found a colony on a curtain between first class and the pilots." Kempler says "we spent the next two and a half hours or at least I did, curled up in my seat thinking 'how many cockroaches are going to be in my bag when I get out?'"

American Airlines' spokesman Tim Smith tells 9NEWS NOW that "infestations are very rare but not unprecedented." Smith says all of the planes are treated regularly by pest control companies. The planes have outside panels removed once a month to give maintenance crews better access and if a problem is detected, it will be treated during the next lay-over.

Unfortunately, it's hard for airlines or any service that opens its doors to the public to guarantee a cockroach-free environment. Missy Henriksen of the National Pest Management Association says the places you'd most likely see cockroaches on board include "in the bins that hold the luggage or just around the humans that are traveling on the airliner. But they're also going to be looking for food sources so it would not be uncommon to find them in the galley where the meals are being prepared."

And of course roaches are notoriously hard to kill. Henriksen says, "They can live for up to a month without their heads."

Not only are cockroaches nature's little tanks, these unwanted stowaways can also pose some potential health hazards. Henriksen says " cockroaches create allergens that then can cause asthma attacks in children and adults." She says they can also transmit E coli and salmonella.

When Kempler got home, she had some help unpacking. Alissa says "everything was fine. I have a little Westie, thankfully, who was ready to go in case something was there. She was very inquisitive, so I made sure she was interested in the bag in case something would run out."

If you are worried that a cockroach or other pest could have invaded your luggage, the National Pest Management Association recommends these steps:

# When you get home, take all of your clothes out of your luggage and wash them in hot water.
    # Also take a close look at your suitcase. If you see any kind of pest or dropping, vacuum out your suitcase, including the pocket area.

Written by Jessica Doyle
    9NEWS Now & wusa9.com
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

2. Remove Ads

Wow, that would really bug me!
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

I don't have a roach problem but last year my property and many others were swarmed by ticks,I have never seen so many in my life,even tho I use sentinel on my dog she still had a few tried to feast on her,I would guestimate that there were over 10,000 inside my house I vaccummed up after the pest control guy got done
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I helped deliver a boat from Belize to Florida a few years back. Six days. We had the little German variety so we had all the food in ziplock bags, and when we got off the boat we put all our clothes and gear in a van and set off a bug bom inside. It was quite the adventure.

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I don't have a roach problem but last year my property and many others were swarmed by ticks,I have never seen so many in my life,even tho I use sentinel on my dog she still had a few tried to feast on her,I would guestimate that there were over 10,000 inside my house I vaccummed up after the pest control guy got done
    When I lived in SC our yard had an old kennel from a previous owner that was overgrown with vegetation and overrun with wood ticks. We had thousands of them burrowing into the wood on our house. Just walking to the clothesline would require you to pick a minimum of 20-30 off your legs when you got back inside. It didn't take me long before I decided to clean out the overgrown vegetation in the kennel and then "treat" the yard and the house with some choice chemicals.
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

Links