and this is what happens when city folk take over

This is a discussion on and this is what happens when city folk take over within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Patti I had a city guy build a mcmansion next to my farm. Next thing I know, I get a letter from ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: and this is what happens when city folk take over

Quote Originally Posted by Patti View Post
    I had a city guy build a mcmansion next to my farm. Next thing I know, I get a letter from an attorney, telling my son to cease and desist riding his dirt bike.

Now, I had been living on this farm for 19 years. My son had a nice dirt track with burms, etc.

So, I told my son to keep on riding. No law was being broken.

Here comes the sheriff. He goes down to the south pasture and watches my son ride for a while, then he comes up to the house and says "that boy of yours sure knows how to ride a dirt bike".

I asked if there was a problem and he said "nope, none that I can see."

Next time I saw my yuppie neighbor out mowing his yard in his penny loafers (no socks), I told him I was going to build a hog pen right next to the fence line, beside his house.

The guy sold his house and moved.
    what really peeves me about this is that the yuppy neighbor didn't have the spine or decency to talk to you about the problem. His first instinct was to get a lawyer involved. I mean, if the dirtbike noise was disruptive to him in some way (maybe it was during a baby's naptime or something, I dunno) he could have approached you with respect and asked if there was any way to change the timing or whatever. Instead he just goes all lawyer & sheriff on you, what a pansy. When my neighbor is making too much racket after dark (such as messing with the idle on his mower and putting the engine into overdrive) and my kids are not able to sleep I go talk to him about it and offer him a beer. Works much better than sending in a lawyer.
    Last edited by cz2075bd; March 12th, 2010 at 09:50 PM. Reason: typo
    pro-CZ's, pro-AR's, anti-CZAR's

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    I hope to someday move to the country. I don't plan on being a jerk over what neighbors decide to do on their own property (sheesh), but it looks like they might hate me from the start because of all the other jerks who came before

One of the things I hate about cities is that everyone thinks that EVERYTHING is their business.

Don't bother me and I won't bother you. What you do on your property is none of my business.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

I love when my mows the grass and we find a "new" car or farm implement.

Where I live you can tell the rich folks because they have two cars up on blocks.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Think Before Engaging Mouth

There's a saying around here I like:

Just because we're not from here, doesn't mean we're stupid............And just because we're from here, doesn't mean we're stupid........

There are a bunch of others I like, and they revolve around:

• Being a good neighbor,
    • Not complaining about the local grocer not having 14 different French Mill coffees,
    • Keeping outdoor light to a minimum (yea, it's dark out here - cope with it - you afraid of the dark?),
    • Not letting your dogs chase livestock (they end up dead),
    • This is not Disneyland,
    • We are not a bunch of uneducated dolts, and
    • Don't make fun of us or our families, extended or otherwise

A classic one I personally heard this winter from a displaced Californian that lost their fancy California job and their fancy California McMansion (honest to goodness - that was their attitude) and "had to" move here to look for work (the first "sign" they're not on the high end of the IQ scale)...........

"Surprisingly, it's pretty sophisticated out here........."

Huh?

VIP Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Just because we're not from here, doesn't mean we're stupid............And just because we're from here, doesn't mean we're stupid........
    Like it. Like it a lot!!

Over the years, I seen folk's horrified expression (after foot-in-mouth) when they find out about the accomplishments of others, about whom they had made assumptions based of stereotypes of various sorts.

BTW -- Re: "Keeping outdoor light to a minimum": I have a friend that calls them "insecurity lights."
    Last edited by DaveH; March 13th, 2010 at 05:30 PM. Reason: added BTW
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Even worse than rotting carcases. What happens when Skip and Buffy move out to the country and discover they now live near (within earshot) of a gun club range that's been in existence before they were born and they want to exert their code of right and wrong and shut the place down. What do they think goes on outside the narrow confines of their short lived experience?

Ida told em man I hope your septic tank never leaks,you think the water tastes bad now
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzleloader View Post
    Even worse than rotting carcases. What happens when Skip and Buffy move out to the country and discover they now live near (within earshot) of a gun club range that's been in existence before they were born and they want to exert their code of right and wrong and shut the place down. What do they think goes on outside the narrow confines of their short lived experience?
    How about near a race track, having never been to/near one and having only see the house when house-hunting during the day, on weekdays?

OTOH, switching to a suburban/urban setting, how about near a sports venue w/o ever seeing the traffic on game-day.

Then around here and in NC, we have the half-backs -- folks from up north who had never been in Florida in the summer, yet based on winter vacations move there, only to move half the way back north after a summer, or two.

The list goes on and can cut both ways.

FWIIW -- I'll confess one on myself. I never realized how much I would miss the change of seasons, until the second year I lived in the Caribbean. One person's paradise can be another's disappointment.

One advantage of having seen a great deal of the world, is you can develop a reality check on reality, for yourself. Different-stroke-for-different-folk is very true. As they say, that's why there is more than one flavor of ice cream.

The problems occur when some folk assume that their point-of-view/value system is the only valid one.
    Last edited by DaveH; March 13th, 2010 at 05:31 PM.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Quote Originally Posted by soflasmg View Post
    It's still better than when countrified hicks move into my upscale subdivision and leave their '82 trans am "project car" on blocks on the front lawn and date their sisters.
    this is a bad thing?
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

VIP Member
    I lived in Leesburg for a while. In the span of three years every mountain bike trail I had got plowed up and turned into subdivisions. Then we had the sniper and 9/11. I figured it was time to move West. West Virginia that is. It was soooo much nicer.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links