Who Makes Music?

This is a discussion on Who Makes Music? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I do ok with heavy metal guitar,and that is just my opinion. The music I would love to play is delta style blues. I guess ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who Makes Music?

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    I do ok with heavy metal guitar,and that is just my opinion. The music I would love to play is delta style blues. I guess you either have that talent or you do not,I do not.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    I have a tenor saxophone and can play quite well. Since I started making holsters for you guys, I haven't touched it. I WILL play again.

Nate
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

evo
    Guitar, electric and accoustic. And I sing a little bit. Used to play in bars.
    But that was 20 years ago. It's all on the backburner lately.
    Benjamin Franklin: "They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security."

I have a couple of acoustic guitars and fooled around with mandolin briefly. I play on the back deck when it warms up. The kids don't mind and even act like they like it, till they interrupt me in the middle of a song with, "Daddy watch me!" Makes me happy though, the wife not so much. I occasionally get a request from her, I think she likes 3 songs that I play. Beats none. Another in a long list of hobbies I don't have time for.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

As a kid I wanted to learn the guitar or drums, so my Mom buys me a trombone. I still haven’t figured that one out.

My arm was too short to hit the far note. So it really didn't work out.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    I started playing guitar about 15 years ago. I figured out how to sing about 8 or so ago (thought I could before that; I was wrong).

One day I realized that I had acquired $10k worth of equipment (guitars, amps, mixers, mics) but only really had $.50 worth of skill.

I used to play at open mic, and for a time was the front man of a rock/blues cover band (we made $300-400 a show, it was awesome). I haven't messed much in 5 years or so.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Bass guitar. About 15 years now.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Lots of talent here...me not included!
    I used to play the accordian when I was a little kid...and riding a horse and playing an accordian IS a long time ago.

If we could get the members on this thread together, we could cut a record to match "We Are the World", but ours could be "We Are the World of Self Defense"...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    If we could get the members on this thread together, we could cut a record to match "We Are the World", but ours could be "We Are the World of Self Defense"...
    I'm in!

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    *sigh*
    sudo apt-get install audacity

I'm in for vocals and mixing if need be. Let's try not to make it too cheesy.

If I might suggest, something other than an actual parody of 'We are the World'.

Proceeds will go to the site or a gun rights organization I assume?
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

I played acoustic guitar a million years ago, and oboe when I was in high school (also a million years ago).

My son, however, plays piano currently, and fairly well. Here's a recital he did Christmas 2008:
    Part 1
    Part 2

(Yeah, moms are allowed to brag on their kids ).

He comes from a long line of musicians, though:
    • My dad played bagpipes in high school, and violin
    • One of Dad's brothers (my uncle) played trombone and trumpet
    • Dad's other brother (my other uncle) played saxophone
    • My grandfather (their dad) played saxophone for the Big Bands - Tommy Dorsey and the like
    • My grandmother (their mom) played piano and violin
    • My grandfather's mother was a piano teacher

Yeah, just a little bit of music in the blood here.
    Last edited by Riana; March 16th, 2010 at 08:37 AM.

Guitar, Elect and acoustic Rock, Country, Bluegrass, Blues any thing that bends a string is what I love to play.
    Ive been in several bands and in the mid 70's played the Fort Lauderdale strip at most spring breaks.

Now My wife Slickshot is amazing, singer, musician songwriter plays any instrument with ease. Her Dad and Grandad had a Bluegrass band and Ive seen her bring the crowds to there feet.

Just think of Ronda Vincent and Alison Krauss and thats the style she sings and plays, BTW she performed with Alison at a Blue grass festival in the early 80's.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Bass guitar and classically trained singer. As of last night, I am the newest (but far from youngest) member of the Master Chorus Eastside.
    Last edited by ak56; March 16th, 2010 at 08:43 PM. Reason: spelling

Another trumpet player

I am a professional musician as well, trumpet again. I am a freelancer though.
    Culture cannot be inherited. The culture of previous ages will vanish unless each new generation wins it for itself again and again. Only that for which we have worked, or even suffered, truly belongs to us. - Zoltan Kodaly

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    Ahhh... when I was a teenager, I was gonna be a rock star... only lacked one thing- talent.

Imagine my dismay when I later learned it was optional.

But, I got a 56 Strat with the original cord, sales receipt, and a 5 digit serial number... can't beat anything out of it but 3 chord blues and some simple scales, but maybe I'll sell it some day...
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links