Home Invasion and…Parrot Theft?

Home Invasion and…Parrot Theft?

This is a discussion on Home Invasion and…Parrot Theft? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; A twist on home invasion... Or "What We Have Here is A Failure to Communicate" Yeh right! Bank of America Facing Lawsuit for Home Invasion ...

Thread: Home Invasion and…Parrot Theft?

VIP Member

Talking Home Invasion and…Parrot Theft?

A twist on home invasion...

Or "What We Have Here is A Failure to Communicate" Yeh right!

Bank of America Facing Lawsuit for Home Invasion and…Parrot Theft? | MyBankTracker.com

Bank of America Facing Lawsuit for Home Invasion and…Parrot Theft?

Bank of America has apologized for a foreclosure process gone wrong, in which contractors hired by the bank allegedly entered a borrowers home, padlocked the door, and repossessed a pet parrot.

What We Have Here is A Failure to Communicate

According to an article in the Wall Street Journal Online, Bank of America said that the contractors were wrongly advised that the house was vacant, and were securing the property when they found the parrot, which they believed to be abandoned and were going to give to a shelter.

The current rate of foreclosures in the US is the highest since the early 1930’s, and it is not uncommon for homeowners to have to simply leave their homes without taking anything with them. However, in this case the homeowner was only one payment behind, and in fact had caught up on her loan at the time of the incident, according to her lawyer. The bank has said that it will review the case and consider any hardship that was endured due to the contractors actions.

More Foreclosures, More Problems

While this is obviously an outlying case, it does demonstrate the difficulties that many homeowners have faced in communicating with their banks in the event of foreclosure. Whether it is due to the sheer volume of foreclosures, or the fact that some cases at large banks like Bank of America slip through the cracks, it is certain that these types of incidents will not already high tension between borrowers and lenders.

There are currently nearly 8 million homeowners, of 15% of mortgage, that are either behind on their payments or have already started the foreclosure process.
    Last edited by DaveH; March 14th, 2010 at 01:59 PM. Reason: Add: "Yeh Right" based on Hopyard post. I agree with him.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    "You can have my parrot when you pry it from my cold, dead hands."

Oh, wait, I don't have a parrot.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

"Polly wants a settlement!"
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Administrator
    I kinda wish the bank would repo my house. I'd probably let them have it with no fight. It would erase all of my debt, and in this market, that's a good thing for me.
    "Just blame Sixto"

DM2
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I kinda wish the bank would repo my house. I'd probably let them have it with no fight. It would erase all of my debt, and in this market, that's a good thing for me.
    +1
    DM2
    "I did the thing I feared the most. Excuse me while I cheer. Now here I stand a stronger soul and all I lost was fear." ...Anonymous

VIP Member

re: Sixto

Repo is easy to arrange, just don't pay them. Erasing your debt is another story. That stuff has a way of clinging on forever.

VIP Member

Mistaken foreclosures

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    A twist on home invasion...

Or "What We Have Here is A Failure to Communicate"

Bank of America Facing Lawsuit for Home Invasion and…Parrot Theft? | MyBankTracker.com
    What you have here is more than a failure to communicate. It is negligence and it is more than mere negligence, it crosses into criminal activity.

There have been a couple of high profile foreclosure booboos which are truly mind boggling. Notably, taking over a home that was never even mortgaged as the owners paid cash for the purchase. They returned from vacation to find the place locked, and trashed, and all their stuff gone.

The only way to reduce this sort of "negligence" is to slap them down hard with criminal prosecutions. If you or I did what the bank did we'd be in deep doo. Hang a few of their executives, charge the corporation with criminal conduct, and the problem will go away.

Just because they take your house doesn't mean you don't still owe them.

It's really bad to stress a parrot, they can die from it. No joke. ONE payment behind, no one at that bank jumping the gun ... is there. Now imagine the homeowner coming home while they are walking out with the parrot .... homeowner would be justified in stopping the theft of their parrot and illegally entering their home.

I think I would press for "breaking and entering" charges on someone, they had no legal right to be there if the payments had been caught up. It would teach them not to do it twice and to be a lot more careful about it in the future.

I would give them a bird while standing behind my lawyer
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Guns and more View Post
    Just because they take your house doesn't mean you don't still owe them.

Also, if they do forgive the debt, you most likely will owe income taxes on the amount forgiven. The bank will make sure you get a nice big juicy 1099 at year-end.

Links