Does anybody have a classic car? - Page 3

Does anybody have a classic car?

This is a discussion on Does anybody have a classic car? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Wife and I got a '67 Chevelle SS. People seem ta like it. Post a picture of it, but the board doesn't seem to like ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Wife and I got a '67 Chevelle SS. People seem ta like it. Post a picture of it, but the board doesn't seem to like me yet.

VIP Member
    I've got some "project" cars stored in a barn, none of them particularly cool, none for sale:

74 Pinto (this is truly a Fix Or Repair Daily)
    63 Chevy station wagon 283 2bbl (used to go on vacation in it as a kid)
    70 Caprice hard-top 350 4bbl (My Aunt bought this new)
    68 Chevy Impala- (G'pa bought it new)
    53 GMC pickup (My other G'pa bought it new and what I learned to drive)
    Ford LTD II (maybe the ugliest car ever made)
    1925 Farmal tractor- steel cleated wheels

Other than the tractor they could all be coaxed to crank and run, all of them are unwrecked and original as they sit.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

I lost my beloved 83 Mercedes Benz 300D Turbo Diesel about one year ago... Have not had the heart nor ambition to start over yet.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Ouch! Prayers sent.
    A car is not just a way to get from here to there for me.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cphilip View Post
    I lost my beloved 83 Mercedes Benz 300D Turbo Diesel about one year ago... Have not had the heart nor ambition to start over yet.
    If my memory serves me correctly didn't you cook a Glock in that car fire?
    Last edited by ppkheat; March 16th, 2010 at 01:05 AM. Reason: fixed quote
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

1976 Mercedes 450sl Needs some TLC and I just don't have the time. Wish I did!
    Politicians and diapers have one thing in common. They should both be changed regularly, and for the same reason.

I had a 1968 AMC AMX that I fully restored. Had it for 10 years until the kids got old enough that it didn't make sense to keep a 2 seater. Sold it and bought a 2007 Mustang GT. The AMX looks like the car attached but I had Centerlines with skinnys on the front and Mickey Thompsons on the back. Ran 13.60's in street trim with a mild cam, rare factory aluminum intake and headers.

Never lost a race on the street but did pick up a Drag Racing ticket in it.
    Attached Images

Didn't you guys hear about Cash For Clunkers?

Seriously, as much as I admire classic cars you should consider parking the Falcons, Fairlanes, and the rest of them so we don't have to breathe their stinking exhausts.

1998 4Runner.

Quote Originally Posted by Toml View Post

Seriously, as much as I admire classic cars you should consider parking the Falcons, Fairlanes, and the rest of them so we don't have to breathe their stinking exhausts.

1998 4Runner.
    Your car get 15 miles to the gallon. Anyway, how many classic cars do you see on the road? I'd like to put your concern in perspective with an article titled "One Giant Cargo Ship Emits As Much As 50 MILLION Cars". Spoiler alert: there are 90,000 cargo ships.

So don't tell me to get my classic car off the road. It gets better gas mileage than your rig does, and both of our emissions are just about nill compared to what cargo ships and the Chinese produce.

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dnowell View Post
    Your car get 15 miles to the gallon. Anyway, how many classic cars do you see on the road? I'd like to put your concern in perspective with an article titled "One Giant Cargo Ship Emits As Much As 50 MILLION Cars". Spoiler alert: there are 90,000 cargo ships.

So don't tell me to get my classic car off the road. It gets better gas mileage than your rig does, and both of our emissions are just about nill compared to what cargo ships and the Chinese produce.
    It's just "Classic Car" envy.
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

A lot of us consider our old cars classics. So let's start with some edited definitions right out of the dictionary that would apply to car lovers like yourself. (definitions are not in alphabetical order but represent a chronological order)

antique 1. Belonging to, made in, or typical of an earlier period. 2. Of or dealing in antiques. 3. Old-fashioned. --an·tique n. 1. An object having special value because of its age, especially a domestic item like a car or piece of furniture or handicraft esteemed for its artistry, beauty, or period of origin.

vintage 1. A group or collection of people or things sharing certain characteristics. 2. A year or period of origin. 3. Length of existence; age. --vin·tage adj. 1. Of or relating to a vintage. 2. Characterized by excellence, maturity, and enduring appeal; classic. 3. Old or outmoded. 4.a. Of the best. b. Of the most distinctive.

classic 1.a. Belonging to the highest rank or class. b. Serving as the established model or standard. c. Having lasting significance or worth; enduring. 2.a. Adhering or conforming to established standards and principles. b. Of a well-known type; typical. 3. a. Formal, refined, and restrained in style. b. Simple and harmonious; elegant. 4. A typical or traditional example. 5. Informal. A superior or unusual example of its kind. 6. A traditional event, especially a major sporting event that is held annually.

milestone 1. A stone marker set up on a roadside to indicate the distance in miles from a given point. 2. An important event, as in a person's career, the history of a nation, or the advancement of knowledge in a field; a turning point.

collectible 1. That it can be collected 2. Suitable or desirable for collecting as by a hobbyist _n any of a class of old things, but not antiques, that people collect as a hobby, specifically a thing of no intrinsic value.

The Classic Car Club of America (CCCA) has a list of cars that are recognized qualifiers as classic. Whether your car is classic or not can it only supposedly be determined by this elite group
    FWIW,
    oldogy
    Government is out of control
    "If gun laws in fact worked, the sponsors of this type of legislation should have no difficulty drawing upon long lists of examples of crime rates reduced by such legislation. That they cannot do so after a century and a half of trying -- " Sen Orrin G. Hatch

1971 Camaro SS 3rd owner. I left outside for awhile and got some rust on the bottoms of the quarter panels. I have my own body shop and I will get to it someday. So many poeple would knock on my door to ask if it ws for sale my wife placed a "Car not for sale sign on screen door."

jbs
    You'll love it. I have a 64 Ranchero (Falcon). I drove it for a while then decided to redo it. It's been in the garage for about 8 years cause other things keep getting in the way. Last thing I did a year or so ago was weld in a mustang II front end. Now it sits there and waits cause I came across a 65 ghia. At least I'm getting this one taken care of. I think I have about 2 more years of work till it's totally finished.
    Without the cars to work on, I'd have finished all the work on my house and ran out of reasons to buy tools.
    If I need to oil a gun, I go to the beach.
    8040 Couger, P95
    1929 MN 91/30, 1927/28 MN Ex Dragoon, MN M44's, Lots of MN's
    Swiss LG1911 1915 and 1916
    Brazilian VZ-24 JC (2), Brazilian Model 1908
    Spanish M1916

Beginning rant:

1998 4Runner.
    Hot Rod Magazine took a 1968 Ford Mustang with a 351 Cleavland and smog checked it and then installed Catalytic Converters on it and smog checked it again after driving the car 500 Miles to get the converters properly "cooked in". When Checked again the exhaust was DIRTIER than the car was without!

I have seen this personally with some friends that owned a Garage that did NC smog check inspections. Taking several cars with Cats and removing them, and the cars were either cleaner or at least still clean enough to pass the smog check.

Also, Don't get me started on such an ill conceived idea as Cash for Clunkers.

Back on topic.

I am a collector of projects, listed by Year of Manufacture.

On the road:
    1985 Chevrolet G20 SportVan
    1991 Chevrolet S-10 4X4 Long bed
    1996 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra
    1997 Honda Del Sol

You can see the above at http://www.cardomain.com/id/ramrunnr

Current Projects:
    1964 Chevrolet C-10 Truck
    1971 Volkswagen Super Beetle
    1972 Volkswagen Super Beetle
    1978 Chevrolet Crew Cab 3500 3+3 One Ton
    1985 Mazda RX-7
    1988 Nissan Maxima wagon (yes, a station wagon)
    1989 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser (yes, another wagon)
    1991 Chevrolet G20 SportVan
    1993 Chevrolet G20 SportVan

Last but not least, a Trike Based off a the remains of a 1971 Volkswagen Super Beetle.

Only thing that might be considered "Classic" are the Bugs and the 64 Pick Up.
    Kel-Tec P-3at, Taurus PT-908, Glock 17, Glock 19, Glock 26, Kel-Tec SUB-2000 9mm (Glock 17 mag compatible),Kel-Tec PF-9, Ruger SP-101 2¼ barrel hammerless, Maverick Arms 88 Security 8-shot 12 gauge, Marlin 336W .30-30 Win., Rossi Model 92 SRC .357 Mag.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar

1998 4Runner.
    Oh, you're one of those people, eh?
    What is it, that you think gives you the right to tell anyone else what they should or shouldn't drive?
    When somebody else, starts paying for my vehicle, the maintenence, the fuel, and the insurance, I might consider their input. Then again probably not.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links