The time has come to save our planet!

This is a discussion on The time has come to save our planet! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I just figured this out. Daylight Saving Time causes Global Warming! Too much daylight is heating our planet. I remember the headline in our paper ...

Thread: The time has come to save our planet!

The time has come to save our planet!

I just figured this out. Daylight Saving Time causes Global Warming! Too much daylight is heating our planet. I remember the headline in our paper when Congress passed the law: "Congress changes when Sun rises and sets."

The extra sunlight warms up the surface of the oceans. All we have to do is get rid of some of the daylight we have been saving, and global warming would slowly, but surely, be eradicated. So, do you want to solve global warming? Help me lobby Congress to eliminate Daylight Saving Time. The time has come to save our planet!
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

2. Remove Ads

Glad to see that Congress is working hard on our behalf!

The sad part is, Congress does change as the sun rises and sets. More's the pity.

Seriously though , more work during daylight hours yields more food grown, fuel expended, widgets made. Though, with more work performed during daylight hours, less pressure exists to produce during hours requiring artificial light. Better or worse? Where's my calculator ...
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    I hate daylight savings. I still have never had anyone explain to me why we do it. I hear all sorts of lame reasons, but none of them make any sense.
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Doesn't seem to effect the roosters or the night owls.

Did Al Gore invent daylight savings time?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post

Yes. That's when he had to invent the internet to give those who the time change messes up something to do late at night.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post

retsupt, of coarse he did. He invented everything that's been invented in the last 30 years.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    retsupt, of coarse he did. He invented everything that's been invented in the last 30 years.
    Are you sure? I'm thinking he's been inventing things longer than 30 years. There is a good chance he may have been the original inventor of ignorance?
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

He invented inventing just to have something to do.
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

Quote Originally Posted by nutz4utwo View Post
    I hate daylight savings. I still have never had anyone explain to me why we do it. I hear all sorts of lame reasons, but none of them make any sense.
    how i understand it, DST WAS (key word here, "was") for farmers. so that they had an hour of extra day light to work with... why in gods name couldn't they just wake up an hour earlier. and also for the winter when the kids woke up to go to school, so they're not waiting for the bus in the dark. those are the only excuses i've heard.

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nutz4utwo View Post
    There are a number of reasons, all of which are based on the psychological impact of 'changing the time', and the relative inflexibility of the way society deals with time.

For instance, say you have to be at work at 9am. This probably won't be changed even if Congress defines 9am to be an hour later, or an hour earlier. If they defined 9am to be what is currently 6pm though, your boss would probably change when you had to arrive at work.

Based on this, a number of things can be affected by small changes in when people do stuff...for instance, shifting work hours away from 'dark' time may result in slightly lower electricity use because people don't need to have as many lights on during the dark hours. Or, shifting prime TV time (based on artificial time) away from the time when air conditioners are most on in the summer (based on non-artificial factors) may reduce peak grid load. In reality though the evidence that any of this outweighs the cost of shifting clocks twice a year is minimal at best.

From an economics perspective it seems to me that the government wastes a lot of money and effort trying to 'game the system' like this, and it almost always has minimal or negative effects, and unintended consequences.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Links