Surely you must be joking?

This is a discussion on Surely you must be joking? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; "No I'm not and don't call me Shirley!" A sad day indeed, Peter Graves dies and now he lives up to his name. BBC News ...

Thread: Surely you must be joking?

Surely you must be joking?

"No I'm not and don't call me Shirley!"

A sad day indeed, Peter Graves dies and now he lives up to his name.

BBC News - Mission: Impossible's Peter Graves dies in LA aged 83
    Peter Graves - star of the classic TV series Mission: Impossible and disaster spoof movie Airplane! - has died in the US city of Los Angeles. He was 83.

BBC NEWS
    Mission: Impossible actor dies

Peter Graves - star of the classic TV series Mission: Impossible and disaster spoof movie Airplane! - has died in the US city of Los Angeles. He was 83.

The actor had a suspected heart attack outside his home after a meal with his family, about a week before his 84th birthday, said publicist Sandy Brokaw.

Graves was perhaps best known for his role as special agent Jim Phelps in the popular TV series Mission: Impossible.

He also played bungling pilot Clarence Oveur in the 1980 film Airplane!.

“ He had this statesmanlike quality ”
    Sandy Brokaw Publicist

Early in his career, he also turned in a memorable performance as a Nazi spy in the 1953 prisoner-of-war drama Stalag 17.

He had just returned from lunch on Sunday with his wife and children when he collapsed before making it into the house, his publicist said.

One of his daughters tried in vain to revive him.

"He had this statesmanlike quality," publicist Brokaw told AP news agency. "People were always encouraging him to run for office. But he said: 'I like acting. I like being around actors."'

Arguably his most famous role was in the long-running TV show Mission: Impossible, in which Graves led a squad of American government special agents battling evil conspirators.

Every show began with Graves, as Agent Phelps, listening to instructions detailing his team's latest mission on a tape, which self-destructed within seconds of being played.

The show ran on CBS from 1967 to 1973 and was revived on ABC from 1988 to 1990.
    Story from BBC NEWS:
    BBC News - Mission: Impossible's Peter Graves dies in LA aged 83

Published: 2010/03/15 02:30:40 GMT

© BBC MMX

Print Sponsor
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Another good actor gone. Although I preferred his brother James Arness.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Links