UGH...Skunks suck...er uh is that blow?

UGH...Skunks suck...er uh is that blow?

This is a discussion on UGH...Skunks suck...er uh is that blow? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Skunks suck and so do the neighbors Jack Russels that decided to fight with them. Oh well, at least it sprayed all over my backyard ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy UGH...Skunks suck...er uh is that blow?

Skunks suck and so do the neighbors Jack Russels that decided to fight with them. Oh well, at least it sprayed all over my backyard and not MY DOG. They injured one of them and it just flopped around the yard spraying in all directions until I went out and shot the poor thing(from a distance and upwind thankfully) to put it out of it's misery and to end the 360* spray-athon.

I can even smell it in the house...this is horrible!

I used to drive by smooshed ones on the road and think...this isn't too bad... Sure, It's not to bad until they've sprayed every square inch of your own yard and you have to live with it.

Anybody know how to get rid of skunk smell from a yard without completely destroying all the grass?

--edit:
    I'm pretty sure that slash and burn is outside of the community rules so that won't work either.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Tomato sauce and or vinegar works well on dogs, you'd need quite a bit to cover the whole yard.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar
    Man..... I feel for ya, we had one get smooshed in the road out by the driveway. it smelled like skunk for awhile...
    The liquid that they spray is oily and doesn't come off easy. If you look around you will find a bunch of recipes for eradicating the smell, I think the one that I heard worked the best was dish detergent and vinegar. That one makes sense to me and sounds like it will work, but I don't know what it will do to your lawn.
    Or get a clothespin, I'll bet that works...

I did a quick search, here ya go....

White Vinegar or hydrogen peroxide counteracts the natural oil in skunk spray. You will probably need something stronger than soapy water to get rid of skunk oils -- a solution of vinegar or peroxide will dissolve and remove the odor-causing oils instead of just spreading them around. Try this mixture:

1 liter (or quart) white vinegar OR 3% hydrogen peroxide (peroxide may cause bleaching)

1/4 c. Baking soda.

1 tsp. dish detergent (also a de-greaser)

I would put that mixture in a sprayer and douse the whole yard, fence, masonry, Etc. Etc..
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

Quote Originally Posted by Rugergirl View Post
    Tomato sauce and or vinegar works well on dogs, you'd need quite a bit to cover the whole yard.
    I was out running early one morning with my golden retriever when he started chasing something that wasnt running like a cat. I realized what it was too late.

I tried tomato sauce, vinegar, dawn, everything. Nothing would cut the smell. It was 4:30 in the morning and my wife wanted to what the heck I was doing. when she opened to door to the back yard, she knew then.

It was bad. The smell too weeks to go away

Quote Originally Posted by Rugergirl View Post
    Yup. Mix vinegar, tomato juice and baking soda and spray down your lawn. It will neutralize the odor but it may come back after it rains. Good luck I know your pain.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

I once camped at Cades Cove, one of the most beautiful areas of the Smokies.
    At dusk the skunks came in droves. The first night we ate while sitting on top of the picnic tables. We watched while other campers threw cans at them. The skunks would just duck behind trees and let the cans sail by, then they would attack the trash bags again. By day three, we decided we would not move. Do you know how hard it is to eat while skunks are stepping on your feet at a picnic table? We never got sprayed, we never gave in. Probably 20 skunks at a time, memorable.

Ahhh skunks. Natures pinata! The smell in the yard will fade quick with sun. Trying to use a neutralizer is almost a waste. Sit it out and leave the windows closed.

How good is the fire Insurance on your house
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Time to sell and get out of there!! Let the new owners play with the smell!

Ahhh... I hate that! I got sprayed a few times as a kid. Nothing worse that getting a spanking from your dad while your mom is bathing you in tomato juice and using a SOS pad!

Spray gasoline all over your yard and light a match. Sit back and watch it burn. When the fire department shows up, just explain the situation. I am sure they will understand!

VIP Member
    BTDT -- just waited it out.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Shot one in the yard that was making a home under my house. Shot it with a 12 guage.......Big Mistake.....my yard smelled for months. the only thing I did to help was to dig up the soil and dispose of it. But it still smelled every time it rained.
    Glock 36, 20, 30, 29, PX4 Storm SC 9mm, Colt Delta Elite, Colt Agent, Sig C3, Kimber CDP 2, Firestar 40

"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth" - George Washington
    Remember the first rule of gunfighting... "have a gun." - Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by Sandbagger View Post
    Shot one in the yard that was making a home under my house. Shot it with a 12 guage.......Big Mistake.....my yard smelled for months. the only thing I did to help was to dig up the soil and dispose of it. But it still smelled every time it rained.
    HAHAHA! At least I was smart enough to take a head shot with the .22. Now I just have to deal with the chemical weapon already released pre-expiring...
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

One of my scouts (boy) was just a tad too curious a few years back and found out the hard way what not to do.....
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Pack;
    I have some justification to my weapon of choice, I had to wait for it to show up. So i thought i would have a cocktail or two or....... So im not sure in the condition I was in i could have hit it with anything else.
    But 12 guage was still a bad choice. It smelled but was dead.
    Now imagine it raining while im carring a trash bag out to the woods to bury it.
    All i know is the Charley Danels song about the wooley swamp kept going through my head and I burried my deed of the day. LOL
    Glock 36, 20, 30, 29, PX4 Storm SC 9mm, Colt Delta Elite, Colt Agent, Sig C3, Kimber CDP 2, Firestar 40

"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth" - George Washington
    Remember the first rule of gunfighting... "have a gun." - Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by Sandbagger View Post
    Pack;
    I have some justification to my weapon of choice, I had to wait for it to show up. So i thought i would have a cocktail or two or....... So im not sure in the condition I was in i could have hit it with anything else.
    But 12 guage was still a bad choice. It smelled but was dead.
    Now imagine it raining while im carring a trash bag out to the woods to bury it.
    All i know is the Charley Danels song about the wooley swamp kept going through my head and I burried my deed of the day. LOL
    So you should not have been handling a firearm then. As far as that being justification, nope, just poor judgment.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links