Who knows a lot about old pocket watches?

This is a discussion on Who knows a lot about old pocket watches? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Tonight I got into the safe (for insurance reasons) and pulled out a bunch of things that I inherited from my grandparents after they died. ...

Thread: Who knows a lot about old pocket watches?

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

Tonight I got into the safe (for insurance reasons) and pulled out a bunch of things that I inherited from my grandparents after they died. Some of which were old silver and gold coins, a solid 24K gold necklace from my grandmother, some family heirlooms, collectible coins, rolls of wheaties and a few other things of value...

Anyway... I discovered in the bottom of the box two old pocket watches made of gold. One was made by Elgin and I dated it back to 1909 based off the serial number. I determined the value on the internet and recorded it in my insurance records. It was my great-great grandfathers pocket watch when he worked as a railroad conductor. It's been in the family for sometime now.

There is a second pocket watch I found as well, but I can not seem to find any information about it at all. It appears to be solid gold, but there are only a few identifiable marks on it. On the inside of the cover it says:

Delemont Watch Co
    Base metal
    Swiss made

On the same side I can barely make out a possible 1919 date etched into it, but I can't see it for sure. It's too small and too light.

The clock itself has the small words "Princeton-G"

On the internal workings in the back it says:

unadjusted (on the top)

Seventeen (on the bottom)
    17 Jewels

and then it has the company name again.

I've Googled the heck out of it, but can't find squat about it. I don't know squat about pocket watches and I want to determine the value of it, and when it was made.

Any help would be appreciated

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Hrmmmm Wenger watches was founded in Delémont Switzerland back in the late 1800's... connection maybe?

It's probably a pretty good watch if it has 17 jewels. Typical swiss watches had 17

Does it work?
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Old "timers"
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    Hrmmmm Wenger watches was founded in Delémont Switzerland back in the late 1800's... connection maybe?

It's probably a pretty good watch if it has 17 jewels. Typical swiss watches had 17

Does it work?
    Yup. It works just fine. I wound it up and it is ticking away. I just can't seem to find ANY information on it online...

Administrator
    For insurance valuation purposes your old Silver & especially your older Gold coins are going to be valued above the "daily spot" price for the precious metal.

Here is an Ebay auction for a Delemont pocket watch. Also 17 jewels and "Base Metal" so that one might not ultimately turn out to be worth too very much.

http://cgi.ebay.com/CEMCO-DELEMONT-1...item5191298e8a

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    For insurance valuation purposes your old Silver & especially your older Gold coins are going to be valued above the "daily spot" price for the precious metal.

Here is an Ebay auction for a Delemont pocket watch. Also 17 jewels and "Base Metal" so that one might not ultimately turn out to be worth too very much.

CEMCO DELEMONT 17 JEWEL SWISS POCKETWATCH - eBay (item 350327770762 end time Mar-19-10 1546 PDT)
    the auction never says if it works or not.
    Many bad watch deals have I seen mmmMMmmm.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post

CEMCO DELEMONT 17 JEWEL SWISS POCKETWATCH - eBay (item 350327770762 end time Mar-19-10 1546 PDT)
    Ya mine doesn't even look like that. Mine has a closed cover and it's gold. It also works.

Question

Good luck with your search, I can't help much, but since you've got some responses on pocketwatches, does anyone know where you can find the old chains & watchfobs?

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    Ya mine doesn't even look like that. Mine has a closed cover and it's gold. It also works.
    25 +YEAR OLD PRINCETON-G 17 JEWEL POCKET WATCH - eBay (item 170431650275 end time Jan-19-10 14:36:52 PST)
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Sponsored Links