Hmm...Shyneera's Law signed

This is a discussion on Hmm...Shyneera's Law signed within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I'm not sure how I feel about this. While I can see there are some good points, on the other hand given who it's catered ...

Thread: Hmm...Shyneera's Law signed

I'm not sure how I feel about this. While I can see there are some good points, on the other hand given who it's catered to(teens), it could be severely abused...
    Even when I was in school kids(particularly the girls) would say darn near anything just to get another in trouble for not doing something for them or not doing something they liked or not agreeing to "go out" with them.

The idea of giving a hormone-raging child the power to get PO's on their own is not a good one me thinks... I'm thinking there's a number of folks that may very well end up with their names and/or records tarnished prematurely. I guess time will tell...

Justice for teens

Justice for teens
    Shyneera's Law signed into law March 17

Updated: Tuesday, 16 Mar 2010, 11:49 PM EDT
    Published : Tuesday, 16 Mar 2010, 11:47 PM EDT

COLUMBUS, Ohio (WUPW) - After years of fighting, Cheryl Rucker of Toledo has secured justice for teen victims of dating violence.

In 2005 Shyneera Grant's ex-boyfriend shot and killed her and then turned the gun on himself.

Rucker, Shyneera's mother, has been pushing for laws to protect young victims. She'll be in Columbus Wednesday to sign Senate Bill Ten into law, a dating violence bill known as Shyneera's Law.

Once signed, teens will have the same protections as adults when it comes to dating and domestic violence.

"Now you can get help," Rucker said. "You don't have to be sitting where I'm sitting. That was my only child and I've gotten through some of the pain, but it's a hard process. I miss my daughter but they don't have to go through the same thing I've gone through."

State Rep. Edna Brown has also helped with this bill.

Teens will now be able to get protection orders, be assigned an advocate, and get counseling.

Rucker believes if she and her daughter's ex-boyfriend would've received counseling, they would both be alive.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

This is a very good thing if handled properly, however, there is the potential for a get even attitude to influence their decisions. Oh, wait, that seems to happen with many adults also.

How did a teenager get a gun isn't that against the law,PO's are a great touchy feely kinda thing but they have never stopped anybody violent enough to beat or kill you.The only real deterrent is deadly force, when threatened neutralize the threat
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Links