College Station, Texas, good area?

This is a discussion on College Station, Texas, good area? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; When we are moving to Texas this is where we will be near, since my old lady has to attend a college there. How good/bad ...

Thread: College Station, Texas, good area?

Ox [OP]

When we are moving to Texas this is where we will be near, since my old lady has to attend a college there.

How good/bad is the crime there? Good area to live in?
    NRA Member

It's been awhile...

I lived there for five years several years ago, and never felt unsafe. I have a son that will be attending school there next fall, and I'm not worried.

There are a bunch of kids (about 40,000 during the school year), but overall, they're very well-behaved.
    Don't do stupid things, don't go to stupid places, don't hang out with stupid people...

Ox [OP]
    Yeah I'm kind of skeptical about all of the college jocks running around, thanks for the input though.
    NRA Member

Live about 40 miles from Bryan C/S and found two good private owned gun stores there.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Ox [OP]
    Quote Originally Posted by searcher 45 View Post
    Live about 40 miles from Bryan C/S and found two good private owned gun stores there.
    I am looking forward to the gun stores, where I live, there's only 1 gun shop around, takes me an hour to get there...if I wanted to go to the next closest one, it would take 4-6 hours.
    NRA Member

I married in to a family of Aggies, , so I can say I think you'll enjoy the area. It is small town charm with some life to it.

The Aggies overall, in my experience, are a polite bunch (as long as you didn't go to TU). If you go on campus at any point, an dare near the student center DON'T WALK ON THE GRASS! No one warned me, nice family that I have, and I got yelled at by several Corps members.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    Good area to live in?
    As long as you can stand living around and associating with Aggies, I guess you'll be o.k.
    Don't know anything about the crime stats though.

Consolation is you'll be in Texas!

HOOK 'EM HORNS!

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

VIP Member
    Since I live in CS, I think I may be in the best situation to answer your question.

Feel free to send me a private message if you need to know something about CS. I've lived here for 35 years.

Overall it is a very safe place, but it is NOT nearly as safe as it was even 10 years ago. The population has exploded, and whereas before almost everyone was somehow or other tied to the University, the economy is now sufficiently large that there are many other economic activities, which include the usual drug distribution and some street crime.

The rare murder or rape has been almost exclusively student on student or drug related. Same for the rare home invasion. Home burglaries tend to happen more in the rural areas outside town, or in town when the kids leave for breaks. There are random acts of teen vandalism a few times a year, and episodes of car burglaries, also once or twice a year. DWI and PI of course. Underage drinking, of course.

In addition to A&M which has nearly 50 K students, there is also a large Junior College with something like 12-14 K students. The overwhelming majority of all of them are fine kids. A few are trouble waiting to happen. Last year we had a double homicide done by a former "boyfriend." That sort of thing happens from time to time (every few years?) and is to be expected where there is a large population of young people who date and break up.

I have heard of an occasional random robbery of someone walking on the street. Maybe two or three instances in a year. Usually it is someone out at an hour when most folks would not be out.

Overall, this is probably about as safe a place as you will find other than a much smaller college town. Police patrols seem very active. I seldom go anywhere at all that I don't encounter one or two cruisers during my trip. They seem to have a good reputation as do most (if not all) of our public officials; municipal judge, other judges, city council members, city manager, public school officials.

Except for the summer heat, and general lack of outdoor recreation other than golf, you would have a hard time finding a better place.

I married in to a family of Aggies, , so I can say I think you'll enjoy the area. It is small town charm with some life to it.

The Aggies overall, in my experience, are a polite bunch (as long as you didn't go to TU). If you go on campus at any point, an dare near the student center DON'T WALK ON THE GRASS! No one warned me, nice family that I have, and I got yelled at by several Corps members.
    Amen to all of the above, College Station is smack in the middle of probably the most conservative area of the state of Texas, very gun owner friendly.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    I'm an Aggie, so I may be biased, but IMO, you've got nothing to worry about. I also lived in College Station for almost 15 years before graduating and going off into the wide world.

College Station is a great smallish city. No real crime problems, no real bad or notoriously crummy areas, and they've been growing quickly the last few years, so most of the older shopping centers and stores have been recently rebuilt and lots of new businesses are opening. In short, I consider it a great area to live, and I'd move back in a heartbeat if they had any aerospace design work nearby.

Bryan always had the few "seedy" characters and old run-down neighborhoods, but even Bryan has gotten much better in the last decade or so.

As college students go, I don't think you can do much better than Aggies for general politeness and courtesy in their daily lives. Be mindful of the traditions (like walking on the MSC grass), and don't be surprised when complete strangers say "Howdy!" or tell you to "Gig 'em!". It's just the way of things, and if you hang around too long, you'll end up doing it too.

The only bad part about living in CS is the traffic during football season. People literally flood into town and you have to know the back ways to get around if you want to get anywhere semi-close to campus on game day. Especially the t.u. game, when all the t-sips come to town.

If you end up there, I think you'll like it. Make sure you learn to WHOOP!!
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

Sponsored Links