Child Harnesses - Page 3

Child Harnesses

This is a discussion on Child Harnesses within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; my wife and I have used one on both kids (not at the same time). it seems that half the people that say no, don't ...

View Poll Results: Do you think harneses are ok

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

40 50.63%
  • no

33 41.77%
  • other

6 7.59%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Child Harnesses

my wife and I have used one on both kids (not at the same time). it seems that half the people that say no, don't have kids. I don't think its like a dog on a leash at all; 9 times out of 10 the kid will hold my (or my wife's) hand with the "leash" just hanging loosely on my wrist. the only time it comes in handy is if they see something shiny and take off. and as the other parents know, little kids move quickly when they want to
    Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Free the leash children!
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

I voted other

Both of my children have safety harness for climbing purposes. When you start talking about harnesses for everyday wear I hate them. They are a cop out on parental interaction and control.

I raised two daughters. They never ran around a store or airport. They were never leashed either. I think it's degrading and lazy parenting.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    Maybe insist the child hold your hand when out. You only get to rule the roost a short time. Make the life lessons count. Hold a hand or sit. Wandering should not be an option.

As for the harness, if you aren't able to control the child otherwise, better a tether than a missing or injured child.

Real world, you are the parent now. You made the choice to be the most important teacher in a child's life. Internet polls and child raising don't go together.

Sometimes right and easy don't go together when a child is the topic.

instead of posting something similar to this ill just agree with NC. i doubt i could have said it better...

PS i have 2 daughters 13 and 6 and never used one of these. i hold my 6yo hand when i think i need to... on the left side of course... lol

BTW i chose other cuz its your child and its your choice. do what you think is right...
    Glock 19 in a Crossbreed supertuck EDC

Ruger LCP W/ CT "the go anywhere gun" EDC

"ALWAYS carry!NEVERtell!" Thumper

My Dad used to put an electronic shock collar on me,the leash would have been nice.
    It is pardonable to be defeated but never surprised.
    2 Ruger alaskan .454s
    Ruger P95
    Rem 870
    Barrett .50BMG

Quote Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
    I thought the same way before I had kids. The first time your two-year old slips her little hand out of yours and runs across the parking lot before you can react will open your eyes.
    i taught my kids early not to run in parking lots or across/into streets.

every time i go to WM i see a family come out the exit and the kids start running to the car/truck and the mom and dad don't say a word. they just take there time and stroll over there...

i have zero tolerance when it comes to the street/parking lots. my children must stay close. and i remind them if they happen to forget and that don't happen often, if at all...if you do decide to use it then don't use it as an excuse to be lazy like so many do. you still have to watch/interact with them...
    Glock 19 in a Crossbreed supertuck EDC

Ruger LCP W/ CT "the go anywhere gun" EDC

"ALWAYS carry!NEVERtell!" Thumper

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    well after having kids and now with Grandkids and one very strong willed little Grandson, I'm not going to say their the worst or best thing. Would I use one, probably in some cases depending where I am, busy airport, mall or other, places that I would not, a playground, park where it's not as busy. Just depends on the place.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

CC
    I have two kids and they didn't use them for longer than 6 months each. We taught them that they can't run away and used it for training that you need to stay close. Worked like a charm.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    I guess I indirectly voted no just the other day. I took my pocket knife and freed my youngest grandson (3) from his. Daughter was and is still none too happy with dad. I simply asked her if I could put one on her for all the same reasons she gave for using one. Then the fight started...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links