Child Harnesses

This is a discussion on Child Harnesses within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; So I got a poll here what do you think about them. my 13 month old loves to walk around the store by herself and ...

View Poll Results: Do you think harneses are ok

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

40 50.63%
  • no

33 41.77%
  • other

6 7.59%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Child Harnesses

Distinguished Member Array mathewsman's Avatar

Child Harnesses

So I got a poll here what do you think about them. my 13 month old loves to walk around the store by herself and doesent like to hold anybodys hand so we got her one. she does pretty well on it and we only use it so she doesent run off on us and also the safty feature it takes a long time to try to get her out of it or at least enough time that they wont do it again hint hint.
    NRA sence 2003 Colt defender Taurus .357 mag
    Taurus tcp x box gamer tag mathewsman

2. Remove Ads

I don't have any children myself yet, but I don't see an issue with it. I would definitely consider it if I did have children. Given the way kids seem to get snatched so easily these days it's almost like a requirement I suppose.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Voted NO! I don’t like them. I think it gives very young children the wrong idea. Look at it this way, young children are learning every second of the day, they see people walking their dogs on a leash and then you put them in one. I have no facts on what it does or does not do to their mind but I just don’t think it can be good.

Me like almost every person born before 2000 didn’t get walked around on a leash. I think it just another way for many American parents to get lazy. Instead of picking their child up or pushing a stroller they would rather put them on a leash and forget about them. I am not saying that is the case with the OP but for many, I believe it is. This is a big "pet peeve" of mine so sorry for it being so long.

BGE
    The other day, I saw a Family (Father, Mother, two sons and a daughter) at the hospital. The youngest son, ill say four years old, had a monkey harness on (you know, looks like a monkey back pack) It looked like the child was pulling on the harness and his father was holding it, but in reality, and after a 2nd look I noticed the father had tied the monkeys tail to a park bench and the child was trying to run away. As funny as this was, I told myself if I ever have children im NEVER going to get one of those. So two points can be made here. One, if I have children, all else will come second and ill do everything in my power to know his/her wereabout at ALL times. Secondly, I find it impersonal to have your child on a leash. Just my two cents... Like I said, I dont have children, just attempting an educated look at things.
    "AND YE SHALL KNOW THE TRUTH AND THE TRUTH SHALL MAKE YOU FREE"
    - JOHN VIII:XXXII

Maybe insist the child hold your hand when out. You only get to rule the roost a short time. Make the life lessons count. Hold a hand or sit. Wandering should not be an option.

As for the harness, if you aren't able to control the child otherwise, better a tether than a missing or injured child.

Real world, you are the parent now. You made the choice to be the most important teacher in a child's life. Internet polls and child raising don't go together.

Sometimes right and easy don't go together when a child is the topic.

I never used one on my children (didn't have such a thing back then), but why do you use a leash on your dog (which most people love like a child)? To keep it safe, so it does not run out in front of a vehicle, etc., to help you control it while you are doing other things. I don't want to see someone pulling the kid around by it (dragging them) but it's like any other tool used to accomplish something. Kids did not behave like they do now when I was a kid, we used to get the belt, or the switch, can't do that nowdays, thank goodness, but most of us brought up back then turned out ok.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndAmend View Post
    Voted NO! I donít like them. I think it gives very young children the wrong idea. Look at it this way, young children are learning every second of the day, they see people walking their dogs on a leash and then you put them in one. I have no facts on what it does or does not do to their mind but I just donít think it can be good.

Me like almost every person born before 2000 didnít get walked around on a leash. I think it just another way for many American parents to get lazy. Instead of picking their child up or pushing a stroller they would rather put them on a leash and forget about them. I am not saying that is the case with the OP but for many, I believe it is. This is a big "pet peeve" of mine so sorry for it being so long.
    I would just explain to the child that although I didn't pay money for them like I did my dog, I still love them as much as I love my dog, so I don't want anything bad to happen to them. That's why I use the harness.
    They didn't have these when my kids were little, but if they did, I would have used one.

I suppose some people think putting a baby in a play pen is the same as putting them in a cage too.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    I think they have their uses.

We bought one for my youngest daughter's first trip to Disney. We did not want to lose her in the crowds. She loved to walk and did not like to be carried at all. The funny thing was that whenever we put the harness on her, she sat down and would not move. We got by with hand holding/stroller/piggy backs.

Distinguished Member
    I voted yes.

We used one until our sons learned to comply. At about age two, this was the most efficient way to maintain control yet give them space enough to move.

The leash allowed my wife to move/travel to Okinawa when I was already stationed there. One infant, one active two year old, multiple carry bags, two car seats, tickets, passports, and the flight from Little Rock to St. Louis was canceled. She had to reschedule a flight to make the MAC flight or it would be months before it could be rescheduled. Frankly, I don't know how she did it. She said she endured a few comments and dirty looks, but my family safely made the trip.

Children need some room to explore and better on a 6 foot leash than running amok. I knew where my children were 100% of the time - even when they ran away while I tended the other.

Eventually, my boys learned to keep one hand on the shopping buggy while shopping, one hand in mine when crossing the parking lot/road, and two hands on the car when getting out of the car - yes, they looked like little thugs waiting to be frisked.

BGE I look forward to your report after you have some experience of your own. Before children, I knew it all too.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BGE View Post
    The other day, I saw a Family (Father, Mother, two sons and a daughter) at the hospital. The youngest son, ill say four years old, had a monkey harness on (you know, looks like a monkey back pack) It looked like the child was pulling on the harness and his father was holding it, but in reality, and after a 2nd look I noticed the father had tied the monkeys tail to a park bench and the child was trying to run away. As funny as this was, I told myself if I ever have children im NEVER going to get one of those. So two points can be made here. One, if I have children, all else will come second and ill do everything in my power to know his/her wereabout at ALL times. Secondly, I find it impersonal to have your child on a leash. Just my two cents... Like I said, I dont have children, just attempting an educated look at things.
    I thought the same way before I had kids. The first time your two-year old slips her little hand out of yours and runs across the parking lot before you can react will open your eyes.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndAmend View Post
    Voted NO! I don’t like them. I think it gives very young children the wrong idea. Look at it this way, young children are learning every second of the day, they see people walking their dogs on a leash and then you put them in one. I have no facts on what it does or does not do to their mind but I just don’t think it can be good.

Me like almost every person born before 2000 didn’t get walked around on a leash. I think it just another way for many American parents to get lazy. Instead of picking their child up or pushing a stroller they would rather put them on a leash and forget about them. I am not saying that is the case with the OP but for many, I believe it is. This is a big "pet peeve" of mine so sorry for it being so long.
    I voted yes. Used one on my youngest son many years ago, when stationed in Germany(late 70's). Children can get away from a parent in a hurry and in a crowd anything can happen. While not something seen often in the states, they are very common in Europe. I'd rather be safe than sorry.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Voted No...4 Kids here and never seen the need for one.

HTC Thunderbolt....4G Lightning Speed

I voted "No", I have 5 kids and have never needed one, per se. I know many adults I'd like to stick in one.

I know it can be difficult and time consuming, but in my opinion, I think it is borderline treating them (kids) like pets. I understand the reasoning behind them, but what separates us from our animals is we tend to learn and perform better to instruction. I say just take your time and work with your child and you won't need them, the harness that is.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

I've got two kids...(No offense to the OP) I think the harnesses are a dumb, lazy way of "watching" kids...they look like dogs on leashes, they act like dogs on leashes. I never had one on either one of my kids because they learned early on to stay with mom or dad. They didn't get a choice whether to hold my hand or not...not for them to decide.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

I voted yes. When my son was under 3, we went to Disney World, and he had one. I don't think we ever actually used it - he either held someone's hand, or sat in the umbrella stoller (the leash was looped around a handle of that). It was just an added security, so he would be close in the throngs of people.

It can be a way to give the child a little bit of freedom ("Walk next to Mommy" instead of "Hold Mommy's hand", at a lesser risk. Now, if your child is old/big enough to drag you around by that leash, then you're not using it right.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links