What to do for protection in a bad area?

This is a discussion on What to do for protection in a bad area? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by AZ Husker If you choose to live in a sewer, expect to step in feces. People don't necessarily have a lot of ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What to do for protection in a bad area?

VIP Member

re:AZ Husker

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    If you choose to live in a sewer, expect to step in feces.
    People don't necessarily have a lot of choice about where they live. If you don't have money to move, don't have skills that are widely needed in many different locals, you can get pretty darn stuck and choice isn't part of the what keeps you glued.

Ox and I have had some private discussions as to his maybe moving to Texas someday. I think that would be a great idea for him and I wish him and his gal well. In the meantime, what is, is. People can't always change their lives on a dime.

If legal in IL, pepper spray makes sense.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    For God, Family and Country!

Move out of Illinois if at all possible.

Sometimes moving really isn't an option... He seems aware that there are better places to live and maybe we oughtta accept that he's doing the best he can with what he's got to work with.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

If you can't Tase I agree with this, plus a good pepper spray. Most people won't look at you twice if you have a cane, problem is it may make you appear "weak" and a possible target.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Just a thought here, if you can afford to buy all these things you need to defend you and your loved ones from your current bad environment, you might want to invest in a safer environment. I know this may sometimes be easier said than done, but, a move just a mile or two can sometimes make a world of difference.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    I found this very interesting portion of an article about violence in Romania that I was reading. I thought you might find it interesting.

Those people in Romania have anger management issues don't they.

Bats and Pipes- are very common. These are the main street weapons. All shapes, lengths and materials are use. Drivers that travel a lot have a wooden bat or a length of pipe under their seat for sure. As well as taxi drivers which are attacked sometimes. Bats are widely used because are effective, inexpensive and with a good reach. I saw bats between 30 and 100 cm long. Among martial arts practitioners police batons, tonfa, and lately ASP batons and spring telescopic batons are very popular. Various lengths of hockey sticks are used because they are light and tough.

Pipes can be iron, zinc or lead.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

VIP Member

Illegal weapons

Quote Originally Posted by Guardian View Post
    In Romania....
    Bats and Pipes- are very common.

Pipes can be iron, zinc or lead.
    Keep in mind that in the US, the definition of an illegal weapon can be very broad.

Even very common items, when used as a weapon--or kept in a manner that indicates the purpose is to use them as a weapon-- can be deemed illegal.

Good example-- baseball bat. It can be legal sports equipment or an illegal weapon; all depends.

An iron pipe in the hands of plumber isn't an illegal weapon. Kept under the front seat of your car "just in case," its intended purpose is use as a weapon. May or may not be legal where you live.

A twenty something in good health isn't going to get away with a claim that their walking stick isn't a weapon. (Double check the code where you live because it will vary all over the place by state and maybe by city.)

I like a longish steel case flashlight as a weapon. It won't be deemed a weapon unless something happens and you actually use it as one. It is innocent looking. It doesn't project a threat the way a lead pipe does. If LE sees you or your gal with a flashlight they won't give it a second thought.

With a little training it can be used to apply a wide array of wrist and arm locks, can be used to assist with chokes and throws, arm bars and mobility throws. It can be used to parry a punch or a knife, and you can inflict a lot pain on knuckles, elbows, jaw, knee, front teeth, nose, etc.

Your gal could easily carry one in a purse along with pepper spray (if legal in IL). But try to get some training.

Ox, send me another pm. What do you need to be able to move? Maybe folks here can help you a bit.

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Keep in mind that in the US, the definition of an illegal weapon can be very broad.

Even very common items, when used as a weapon--or kept in a manner that indicates the purpose is to use them as a weapon-- can be deemed illegal.

Good example-- baseball bat. It can be legal sports equipment or an illegal weapon; all depends.

An iron pipe in the hands of plumber isn't an illegal weapon. Kept under the front seat of your car "just in case," its intended purpose is use as a weapon. May or may not be legal where you live.

A twenty something in good health isn't going to get away with a claim that their walking stick isn't a weapon. (Double check the code where you live because it will vary all over the place by state and maybe by city.)

I like a longish steel case flashlight as a weapon. It won't be deemed a weapon unless something happens and you actually use it as one. It is innocent looking. It doesn't project a threat the way a lead pipe does. If LE sees you or your gal with a flashlight they won't give it a second thought.

With a little training it can be used to apply a wide array of wrist and arm locks, can be used to assist with chokes and throws, arm bars and mobility throws. It can be used to parry a punch or a knife, and you can inflict a lot pain on knuckles, elbows, jaw, knee, front teeth, nose, etc.

Your gal could easily carry one in a purse along with pepper spray (if legal in IL). But try to get some training.

Ox, send me another pm. What do you need to be able to move? Maybe folks here can help you a bit.
    Exactly Hopyard, since we cannot advocate illegal activities or so I have read, I figured I would just advocate reading material and let the read make up their own mind on this. If the area is that bad, I particulary wouldn't care myself, protection would be my first concern.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links