What to do for protection in a bad area?

This is a discussion on What to do for protection in a bad area? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; My lass and I live in Illinois, no concealed carry is allowed. The area we live in is really bad...just to put it simple. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to do for protection in a bad area?

Ox [OP]

My lass and I live in Illinois, no concealed carry is allowed.

The area we live in is really bad...just to put it simple.
    I can protect myself fine, but the girl, any suggestions as to what she should do?

Concealed carry isn't allowed, and there are BG's with guns roaming around 24/7 here, if she's out and about, something may happen, and she has nothing to defend herself.

I would tell her to just carry anyways since her life is more important, but it's Illinois, she would go to jail for sure if she ended up having to use it...right?

Pepper spray some of you may suggest....against a gun, I just don't see it working out.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    NRA Member

Other than a weapon, pepper spray may be her only option. You don't want her going up against someone with a knife, you have to get too close for that, and unless your very good with it, you can get real hurt real fast. Pepper spray you can use from about 10-12 feet if you get the stream type instead of the spray type.

I wish you all the best.

Taser International makes a "civilian" taser. I dont know the laws in your neck of the woods, but it delivers a pretty nasty 30 second jolt. The downside being that your first shot better count, cuz after that it all comes down to how fast you can run.

Ox [OP]
    I haven't checked into taser laws around here, may just do that.
    It's sad that IL. is a no CCW state.
    Innocent people get hurt and die around here way too much...
    NRA Member

Move?

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    I haven't checked into taser laws around here, may just do that.
    It's sad that IL. is a no CCW state.
    Innocent people get hurt and die around here way too much...
    The strict gun laws are a part of why so many people get hurt or killed in IL. The BGs know that their victims aren't going to be armed and thus most likely easy pickings.

First off, Welcome aboard from a neighbor in Missouri!

Without knowing anything about your demographics it's hard to say. Don't know your age, level of maturity, any special defensive training or prior military service, etc, etc.

You have a couple of options. What's between your ears is going to be your most important weapon. Here is where age, maturity and over all amount of life's experiences can either help or hurt you.

Your Situational Awareness is going to be key to keeping you both safe.

Observe the Rule of the 3 Stupids at all times!
    1) Don't do stupid things
    2) Don't hang out or associate with or around stupid people
    3) Don't go to stupid places where stupid people do stupid things

Now if you're young and love to go clubbing and visit bars a lot, you're exponentially more likely to get into a situation where you can find trouble or trouble finds you. See Item #3 above.

If you have a macho attitude and are more likely to get into a confrontation over an off color comment directed towards your girlfriend because you "just can't let such a vile offense go unanswered... Well, what can I say?

What you can do, is look into moving to a better neighborhood at the soonest opportunity if not to a whole other State where you can exercise your rights to carry a gun.

You also need to hone your situational awareness so that you can see trouble brewing long before it's in your face and avoid it altogether.

Whether you carry a gun or not, you really should look into unarmed defensive training. Too many people think that they get a ccw permit and problem solved.

Your own survival is a very personal thing. How serious are you in investing the time, money and energy into learning how to defend yourself and survive a violent encounter?

Personal Survival and Defense is kind of a way of life. The more you learn, and the more tools you have in your defensive tool box, the better odds you have of surviving a violent or lethal encounter.

If you think in terms of tactics and learning defensive skill sets, you're a whole lot better off than just carrying a gun.

I sure wouldn't underestimate the use of good quality pepper spray just because you can think of one scenario in which it wouldn't be a good choice. Not all of your attackers are going to have a gun.

After a couple of life changing events in my life where I wasn't sure I was going survive, I started taking self defense and personal protection serious. I have been studying and training for lethal force encounters and defensive situations in earnest. It became a way of life for me. I became a certified defense and control tactics instructor as well as a ground fighting instructor and an instructor in weapon retention and disarming techniques. I took classes in self defense, studied SCARS method of fighting and been to shooting schools. I became a medic for a swat team and trained and worked swat for 10 years. I have an extensive library of books, articles, tactics, court cases, case law, videos and DVD's which would rival most small to mid size law enforcement agencies. It's taken over 3 decades to amass that knowledge, training and don't even want to guess on how much sweat, time and money has been expended.

The information and training is out there if you want it. It all depends on how committed you are to learning how to protect yourself and loved ones. Most people don't go to the extent I have. I work in public safety and constantly deal with violence, death and violent offenders as a career choice. My situation is not the same as yours. But there should be a happy median somewhere between the two extremes.

You have to do what's right for you and your lifestyle. There are tons of people, many on this forum who have way more knowledge and experience then I have. We all have to find our own level of commitment and what we are willing to do to survive the end of the day.

This place is a great place to find many of the answers. We have people here who have been shot and have shot and killed other people in self defense and can be a source of a wealth of information.

You can learn as much or as little as you wish within the pages of this forum. I hope you find the answers you are looking for.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Not sure what the reservations are on OC spray but a face full of Fox Labs or Sabre Red will convince many that their choice of target was incorrect.

Going against a gun even with a gun doesn't guarantee a good outcome. The new OC sprays are very effective and will generally give you the time you need to leave a bad situation.

I'd prefer OC spray to a tazer just because the multiple shot capabilities and more forgiving aim.

Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    Move?
    My first thought!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Strong situational awareness, OC (I recommend Fox 5.3), and quick feet to get out of dodge. Personally I would move - just ask my wife as I refuse to take vacation anywhere in CONUS where I can not CC.

If you choose to live in a sewer, expect to step in feces.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    Move?
    Absolutely

If concealed carry is illegal then I assume that carrying Pepper Spray made for self defense would also be illegal to carry concealed. That being said, I have been hearing and reading where many people in similar situations are carrying Wasp spray concealed instead. It has the ability to shoot 20+ feet and is supposed to be potent, lethal and will blind an assailant. While I would rather carry 10 rounds of 357 SIG, in your situation Wasp spray may be one of the only legal alternatives.

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    Pepper spray some of you may suggest....against a gun, I just don't see it working out.
    Pun intended?

Time for some self defense classes/training and some thought into more stratigic mindset. SA and common sense are ya'lls best weapons in your current situation.

A move into a better is the best action if possible.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Handgunlaw page for IL.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/illinois.pdf

It adresses pepper spray at the bottom. Looks like stun guns are illegal, not sure on tazers. What a bunch of crap. I guess they expect you to "cooperate" and die like a good sheep. Idiots!
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links