Doctors are more dangerous than guns!

This is a discussion on Doctors are more dangerous than guns! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I know, many of you have probably seen this before. But my wife, a nurse, just sent me a copy. Doctors (A) The number of ...

Thread: Doctors are more dangerous than guns!

Smile Doctors are more dangerous than guns!

I know, many of you have probably seen this before. But my wife, a nurse, just sent me a copy.

Doctors

(A) The number of physicians in the U.S. is 700,000.
    (B) Accidental deaths caused by Physicians per year are 120,000.
    (C) Accidental deaths per physician is 0.171.

Statistics courtesy of U.S. Dept of Health and Human Services.

Gun Owners

(A) The number of gun owners in the U.S. is 80,000,000.
    (Yes, that's 80 million)
    (B) The number of accidental gun deaths per year, all age groups, is 1,500.
    (C) The number of accidental deaths per gun owner is .000188.

Statistics courtesy of FBI

So, statistically, doctors are approximately 9,000 times more dangerous than gun owners.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Remember, 'Guns don't kill people, doctors do.'

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

FACT: NOT EVERYONE HAS A GUN, BUT
    Almost everyone has at least one doctor.

This means you are over 900 times more likely to be killed by a doctor as a gun owner!!!

Please alert your friends to this alarming threat.

We must ban doctors before this gets completely out of hand!!!!!

Out of concern for the public at large, statistics on lawyers have been withheld for fear the shock would cause people to panic and seek medical attention.
    ....a politically incorrect right-wing fiscally-conservative libertarian NRA card-carrying gun-toting self-sufficient gainfully-employed Bible-believing church-going fundamentalist evangelical Christian. Perhaps you should avoid my company. I might contaminate you.

2. Remove Ads

In the 1970's when Doctors were on strike in Florida, the death rate went down. No joke. When they went off strike, it went back up.

My Doctor is very dangerous since his office looks like a gun store,and he has several Class 3 firearms
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Go find the CDC website, and look for death statistics. See where firearms deaths are, compared to "medical misadventure." Shocking.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

80 million

I thought that number was more like 200 million.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Don't forget though that going to the doctor is a choice we make. No one is required to go. Most people end up at the doctor because they make poor decisions, ie eat whatever they want and never get any physical activity. They end up asking the doctor for help dealing with their issues because they never want to deal with it themselves. Medical mistakes can't be made on healthy people because they don't seek (or need) medical help.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoonee View Post
    Don't forget though that going to the doctor is a choice we make. No one is required to go. Most people end up at the doctor because they make poor decisions, ie eat whatever they want and never get any physical activity. They end up asking the doctor for help dealing with their issues because they never want to deal with it themselves. Medical mistakes can't be made on healthy people because they don't seek (or need) medical help.
    Sorry, and this is NOT a personal attack, but that's the propaganda put out there so much and I get so tired of hearing ... because it's not true. Certain people are more prone to certain things ....from all types of cancer, high cholesterol, blood pressure, heart conditions, blood issues, luekemia, etc. due purely to genetics. They also may have been exposed in the past to things , not of their choosing, as well. Sooner or later.... we are all going to die. IT's a given, and I bet most will go see a Dr and get treatment before they do. I've had 8 friends die in the last 4 years, all from 42-54 yrs old, and not one of them died due to something "they did to themselves" or "issues they didn't deal with". They all took extremely good care of themselves and were quite "healthy". No matter how "healthy" anyone thinks they are, they can fall over dead within the next hour.

The fall in the death rate during the DR's strike in Florida during the 70's was attributed to "no elective surgeries " were being performed on minor items.... and numerous people die of those every year.

One I know of about 6 yrs ago, was a guy who was involved in a car accident and had some back issues due to disc damage, and they were doing a routine cortisone injection . No matter how routine, oooops.... slipped.... he died.

What is over looked is many hospitals and Dr's. offices are loaded with staff, mainly MRSA which is much more dangerous than a whole WalMart full of CCer.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Doctors are dealing with sick people. They are asked to do things to people that involve risk. Sometimes this goes poorly. It may be classified as "accidental" or otherwise, but the situation of a doctor/patient relationship starts out with some risk, as there is something "wrong" to begin with.
    I think the more appropriate analogy would be unintended adverse outcomes (firearms or otherwise) of law enforcement in the performance of their duties. There is a baseline risk that is not present with non-LEO or military firearms owners.

Of course, comparing medical related accidental death rates and firearm related accidental death rates is entirely arbitrary. One could just as easily compare to accidental motor vehicle death rates (far higher than both) or the proverbial death rate from being hit by lightening (roughly 3/10,000,000)
    You should not have any special fondness for a particular weapon, or anything else, for that matter
    Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Five Rings

Links