Spring Allergies....Achooo

This is a discussion on Spring Allergies....Achooo within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I do love warm weather but the pollen is tough. How much Benadryl do you all use? I can do 4 tablets at once....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spring Allergies....Achooo

I do love warm weather but the pollen is tough. How much Benadryl do you all use? I can do 4 tablets at once.

VIP Member
    Benadryl wipes me out. Drixoral is my miracle drug. It doesn't stop the itching eyes or sore throat, but it dries me out so that I'm not a slime monster.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Chlor Trimeton for me, and eye drops or eye wash a few times a day. Decongestants are a no-no for me, but anti-histamines are OK.
    Between tree pollens and mold allergies I have a lot/hate relationship with springtime.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Yep, pollen used to not bother me. I think i agree with something i heard recently. I live on a farm with pine trees around it, the pines are the newer hybrid kind and the crops now are hybrid so i think our immune response is due to not being used to the hybrid pollens??
    You may not like guns. You may choose not to own one. That is your right.
    You might not believe in God. That is your choice.
    However, if someone breaks into your home at 3AM the first two things you are going to do are:
    1) Call someone with a gun.
    2)Pray they get there in time." - A wise man

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    1 zyrtec and saline nasal rinse twice a day keeps the sniffles and sneezes away.

Each year is different for me and what kicks my butt. As a kid, every year was hell for hay fever and allergies. With my time in the military, half was spent overseas, and apparently the shots and vaccines, Okinawa, the Philippines, or Korea cured me for a while. When I returned to the states, nothing bothered me anymore for about 16 years. Now it seems to be coming back slowly. Drugs? I've tried them all, and to tell the truth, I'd rather tough it out and suffer the differences between me and mother nature.

VIP Member
    For me, most of the OTC anti-histamines are hardly more than placebo. Sooner or later as the allergy season progresses I will inevitably end up with prescription nose-sprays containing anti-inflammatory steroids.

I did once have fairly good luck with allergy shots, but these were for fire ant bites. I've never tried them for seasonal nasal allergies.

Quote Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
    1 zyrtec and saline nasal rinse twice a day keeps the sniffles and sneezes away.
    this.

if its really bad and ive been eating dust and pollen all day on the fourwheeler er somthin a benadryl or to before bed makes the bad go away
    Life is a game of chance, be prepared to throw down when its time to dance. If your young, enjoy it cuz your youth is gold and never waste time every single day you grow old. written is a page in the book for you, with hard times and bad luck to see what you will do.

Yech. Been sniffling & snorting all afternoon, after a run out in the wind. It's a good thing Minnesota has six months of blizzards!

But even so, I regularly thank the Lord for Claritin D. As bad as things get sometimes, Claritin D keeps it from getting worse. Every once in a while, I start wondering if it's worth the $6 or so per week, so I stop taking them. And start again within a week. <sniffle snort>

RevDoug

I don't know if it was the Agent Orange, or what, but since I've been back from Vietnam everytime I get the sniffles, it goes right to my chest and I wind up with perscription antibiotics and prednisone until I get over it. Same thing everytime. What a bummer.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RevDoug View Post
    Yech. Been sniffling & snorting all afternoon, after a run out in the wind. It's a good thing Minnesota has six months of blizzards!

But even so, I regularly thank the Lord for Claritin D. As bad as things get sometimes, Claritin D keeps it from getting worse. Every once in a while, I start wondering if it's worth the $6 or so per week, so I stop taking them. And start again within a week. <sniffle snort>

RevDoug
    I took Claritin D once, and I'm pretty sure I hallucinated! It felt like my hair was standing straight up, my pupils got all dilated, and I could swear I could hear Jimi Hendrix playing 'Purple Haze' off in the distance.

Never again!

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    I took Claritin D once, and I'm pretty sure I hallucinated! It felt like my hair was standing straight up, my pupils got all dilated, and I could swear I could hear Jimi Hendrix playing 'Purple Haze' off in the distance.

Never again!
    The "D" in Claratin D stands for decongestant. I took Dristan once and swore I was playing in Jimi Hendrix's band.
    Bad stuff for me.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    This is North Texas, were in a constant state of Allergy Alert here LOL. If we took meds everytime, we'd become immune to them for it's 24/7 it seems.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

I tired nearly everything for a while and was bounce from DR to Dr. Then one got smart and sent me to an ear, nose and throat Dr. I ended up getting my deviated septum straightened and turbinate reduction. What a difference that made! Seems I was always stuffy because, well, there was no room in there.

This spring has started out rough. Right now I am doing the nasal rinse, neti pot, at least once daily and using liberal doses of affrin. My nose is not running it's closing up completely! It's tough to work or sleep when you can't breath.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Just remember to keep your booger hook off the bang switch, at least til you wipe it off
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links