I hope she gets every penny!

This is a discussion on I hope she gets every penny! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This was discussed here a while ago, this is in follow up. BBC News - US girl sues for $1m over arrest for desk scribble ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I hope she gets every penny!

I hope she gets every penny!

This was discussed here a while ago, this is in follow up.

BBC News - US girl sues for $1m over arrest for desk scribble

BBC NEWS
    US girl sues over scribble arrest

A 12-year-old US schoolgirl is suing the New York City authorities for $1m (£650,000) in damages after she was arrested for writing on her desk.

Alexa Gonzalez was led out of her school in handcuffs by police after she was caught scribbling a message to her friends with an erasable, green marker.

Miss Gonzalez and her mother are suing the police and education departments in New York City.

They are claiming for excessive use of force and violation of her rights.

Miss Gonzalez was caught scribbling "I love my friends Abby and Faith" on her desk during a Spanish class in February.

The 12-year-old said her Spanish teacher then "dragged" her to the dean's office where police were called.

'Better judgement'

Miss Gonzalez told the New York Daily News she broke down as she was led out of Junior High School 190 in Queens in handcuffs.

"I started crying, like, a lot," she said. "I made two little doodles... It could be easily erased. To put handcuffs on me is unnecessary."
    “ We want to stop this from happening to other young children in the future ”
    Joseph Rosenthal, Gonzalez family lawyer

She said she was then held at a local school precinct for hours in what she calls a traumatising and excessive ordeal.

New York City officials have acknowledged the arrest was a mistake, saying better judgement should have been used by the arresting officers.

Miss Gonzalez was suspended from school and tried in a family court, where she was given eight hours of community service and ordered to write an essay about lessons to be learned from the incident.

Her family's lawyer said the school had overreacted by calling the police.

"We want to stop this from happening to other young children in the future," the lawyer, Joseph Rosenthal, told the New York Daily News.
    Story from BBC NEWS:
    BBC News - US girl sues for $1m over arrest for desk scribble

Published: 2010/04/03 22:53:27 GMT

© BBC MMX

Print Sponsor
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

2. Remove Ads

I don't see the need for the force used. She doodled on her desk, what what were they going to charge her with anyways?
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

Gotta wonder what the rest of the story is.

I sure hope she doesn't get it. Granted she was wronged but if she wins then the entire school system looses. The financial trouble that so many school systems are in now the frivolous law suits only hurt the students in the long run. It's a shame it couldn't be used as a teaching moment to show that when you are innocent you can be proven so by the system. Now it teaches that if you are ever wronged sue!

At least limit the punishment to the person that was wrong in the call, not the whole school.

financial trouble of who ? Not around here.

I hope she wins it... it's time the school systems get an education.

Alexa Gonzalez was led out of her school in handcuffs by police after she was caught scribbling a message to her friends with an erasable, green marker.
    I suppose nothing is unbelievable, anymore. But ... Unbelievable.

Miss Gonzalez and her mother are suing the police and education departments in New York City.

They are claiming for excessive use of force and violation of her rights.
    As well they should. "Excessive force" is a good way to refer to what was inflicted upon her. Cuffed-and-stuffed for being twelve and using an erasable marker on a desk? How about being 54 (the hypothetical age of the principal) and not being capable of understanding the utter lunacy of the whole situation, the idea that such a thing is going to help either the girl, the school, our education system or the future of America?

I wonder: if there was no damage, then how could being cuffed-and-stuffed be justified?

We should all weep for the future, for just a moment, and then awaken to take the helm away from such folk who are running (ruining) the "ship."

The daughter is going to learn much out of this situation. Likely, she'll be better prepared for the next farcical instance of bureaucratic exuberance she encounters.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I am not a person who supports or promotes graffitti or the defacing of public property and the like, but I have to say...

This country (as I'm sure all countries that do not punish folks for minor crimes by slicing off limbs... and perhaps those as well) has a long and storied history of school-going age people writing on desks, carving desks, signing bathroom stall doors, writing cute girls' willingness to go all the way and their phone numbers on bathroom walls, etc.

I mean, not just decades of history of this behavior, but actual centuries of this behavior.

Whether or not graffitti activity is smiled upon or frowned upon by the school officials, it has never (so far as I know) been considered a criminal activity, and there is no precedent for a school treating any child found to be guilty of defacing school property in this manner in the criminal fashion that this school and police department have done.

I do not consider this child and her family's response to the treatment she has received to be in any way "frivolous".

If the child had brought a bomb to school, and lodged it in her desk, and it proved to be a dud, made some bang and damaged a desk but no people, I could see the fact of the bomb as well as the fact of the damage to the property both being charges held against her. But writing whether in pencil or erasible marker or even "indelible" sharpie ink (which can be removed easily with acetone) has never in this country been a cuff-and-stuff, do-the-crime, do-the-time kind of offense.

I do not begrudge school officials their responsibility to discipline their students. I do not begrudge these school officials their choice of when to begin disciplining their charges for offenses which may have, up until that time, been overlooked.

I do not believe that choosing to start disciplining charges for offenses that have in the past been overlooked means they have the power or the right to treat everyday happenings/minor infractions with the same level of discipline that they would give to actual criminal offenses.

What's next, gum chewers go to jail, girls with too-short skirts or tube tops must spend a night in jail, red lipstick wearers get cuffs and community service? Boys with inappropriate band-name t-shirts on get a permanent criminal record and an honored place on the local sex-offender website? Groups of kids larger than 3 yelling and making hand-gestures in public at sports matches get charged with inciting a riot?

The imagination runs wild, yes. But if this girl's family chooses to just drop the charges and let this go, they would be doing this country a great disservice.
    People who like this sort of thing will find this the sort of thing they like.
    - Abraham Lincoln

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
    - Winston Churchill

Good Lord. This sounds like another example of the idiotic "Zero Tolerance" mind set.

Kids being expelled for bringing a Midol to school. Expelled and humiliated for drawing a stick figure holding a gun. And now this. Stupidity like this is exactly what keeps the nanny state mentality going.

This is just ridiculous and I hope she gets every penny and more!
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I don't believe much I read anymore because of the "tint" of the media. I just feel like there's something we're missing here...
    For a man interested only in passin' through, he suddenly found himself entangled in a deadly struggle….

ad utrumque paratus

What's missing is NY has a law against grafitti (spelling), and they considered this to fall under that law. Watched the news article when it came out and that was their explanation.

I hope she gets every penny also.

Nothing breeds contempt and distrust of authority more than having been abused by it.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Supporting this young thugette in her quest for a million bucks would make me part of the problem that is tearing away at the fabric of this country.

VIP Member
    As well they should. "Excessive force" is a good way to refer to what was inflicted upon her. Cuffed-and-stuffed for being twelve and using an erasable marker on a desk? How about being 54 (the hypothetical age of the principal) and not being capable of understanding the utter lunacy of the whole situation, the idea that such a thing is going to help either the girl, the school, our education system or the future of America?
    Quote ccw9mm

We should all weep for the future, for just a moment, and then awaken to take the helm away from such folk who are running (ruining) the "ship."
    Quote ccw9mm

^^^^^^^YEP^^^^^^^^^

This would bring me more satisfaction. while the girls actions were not appropriate, the school acted way out of line. The courts must have the autonomy to remove these malfeasant buffoons from authority.
    They are the cause of most of the problems in the educational/indoctrination system.
    Oh, and the kid should get a free college education, paid for by the NY school board, Taken out of their salary, for hiring an incompetent adminnistrator

"If you put the government in charge of the desert, there would be a sand shortage within ten years." - A very wise man
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by Bandolero View Post
    Supporting this young thugette in her quest for a million bucks would make me part of the problem that is tearing away at the fabric of this country.
    You see the 12yr old as the "thug" in this picture? The zero-tolerance legal brutality as not being the source of the outrage? You think because there's a lawsuit that we, the People, are the victims?

I'll agree that taking legal steps has often taken a turn for the ridiculous. We need only recall the silly McDonald's coffee burn case from years ago (as if McD's was at fault for making their coffee hot).

I also agree the little twit was risking destruction of property that wasn't hers. The parents haven't been paying attention, in that sense. But, whatever else is true, we need to adjust our sights a bit when the realization hits home: it was a non-permanent marker that (apparently) caused no damage whatsoever. If no damage to the desk, what gives the heavy-handed administrators the right to effectively arrest as 12yr old for doodling?

Like it or not, our system is rigged to require the courts for redress. Nobody listens anymore, in positions of power, without the heavy hand of the court behind a citizen's statement. It's the primary check and balance available to the average citizen, when rational speech doesn't get through.

Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

NY Needs to be put in it's place > Canada < LOL
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links