Wife's debit card info stolen!

This is a discussion on Wife's debit card info stolen! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Be aware! Even if you think you are careful, "They" can get to you! My wife attempted to make a purchase with her debit card ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wife's debit card info stolen!

Sponsor

Be aware! Even if you think you are careful, "They" can get to you!

My wife attempted to make a purchase with her debit card the other day and it was declined. As she knew there was a positive balance in the account and is well known at the merchant's location, the manager said to enjoy her coffee and pay later.

Turns out the bank had flagged or "hot carded" her debit card due to suspicious activity. There had been 8 or 9 iTunes transactions totaling just over $150.00 the evening before. This card is rarely used for anything other than groceries or gas and never for online purchases.

The bank told me to contact iTunes/apple for info and to file a police report so that once the transactions posted(they were still in the pending file) they could initiate a charge back.

iTunes basically told me to pound salt and that they could not divulge any info due to privacy laws. I had been under the impression that an iTunes account had to be funded by a cc in the name of the account holder or by prepaid "gift cards". This really annoys me as I do make purchases from iTunes occasionally and am not comfortable doing so now.

It really bothers me that the only time anything like this has happened to us it was a card that is never used for at risk type purchases.

I guess that this is the end of my rant. It could have been much worse, I know. I'm just ticked at the situation.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Honestly, truthfully, check the places you have used it the most where you spend the most. (This is why)

I was at a pizza hut, a girl told me 'I have a copy of a receipt with the persons info and credit card number whenever you all want to eat and ar elow on cash we can charge it to this...hehe" (Yes the evil laugh was done)

Some places can run a duplicate receipt and some have full information.
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

Apple may change their tune when they get subpoenaed...
    Good luck. Hope you get your money back.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Distinguished Member
    I had some unauthorized activity against one of my debit cards. All the chasing info was done by the bank.

I contacted the VISA number on the back of the card and they froze/locked it down. I was directed to the bank where I signed an affidavit identifying the charges. The money was immediately credited to my account and I received a new debit card within a few days.

Good luck. I hope it works out better than it has started for you.

That scares the heck out of me because it's connect to your whole savings.
    Last year I went up to Pine Bush, NY for a religious retreat. I only used my credit card at a Howards inn and the local cab service. Someone compromised my card info and range up a big bill.

Quote Originally Posted by luvmy40 View Post
    Be aware! Even if you think you are careful, "They" can get to you!

My wife attempted to make a purchase with her debit card the other day and it was declined. As she knew there was a positive balance in the account and is well known at the merchant's location, the manager said to enjoy her coffee and pay later.

Turns out the bank had flagged or "hot carded" her debit card due to suspicious activity. There had been 8 or 9 iTunes transactions totaling just over $150.00 the evening before. This card is rarely used for anything other than groceries or gas and never for online purchases.

The bank told me to contact iTunes/apple for info and to file a police report so that once the transactions posted(they were still in the pending file) they could initiate a charge back.

iTunes basically told me to pound salt and that they could not divulge any info due to privacy laws. I had been under the impression that an iTunes account had to be funded by a cc in the name of the account holder or by prepaid "gift cards". This really annoys me as I do make purchases from iTunes occasionally and am not comfortable doing so now.

It really bothers me that the only time anything like this has happened to us it was a card that is never used for at risk type purchases.

I guess that this is the end of my rant. It could have been much worse, I know. I'm just ticked at the situation.
    I've never heard of ANY business that refused to cooperate, especially when you have the card in-hand.
    Is it possible one of your kids downloaded some songs without asking?

You can try calling them and say you want to verify the songs you purchased because you might be missing some, and they should be able to provide you with what name purchased the songs and dates. (also luck out and get IP address, maybe)
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis128 View Post
    I've never heard of ANY business that refused to cooperate, especially when you have the card in-hand.
    Is it possible one of your kids downloaded some songs without asking?
    While this possible it is very unlikely. I do not believe that my kids are perfect and incapable of this but none of them have iPods They have Zune and other generic MP3 players. The only iDevice is my iPhone. Not to mention that my iTunes account is set up with my cc.

My bank is back charging Apple iTunes and we will get our money back. I don't think our severely understaffed police department can/will expend much time or energy on such a minor larceny.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Most debit cards carry a VISA or MasterCard logo. If you use these as a CREDIT CARD, instead of a DEBIT CARD with your 4-digit PIN, you would not be responsible for any phony charges.

It would still work as a debit card on your side (funds immediately removed from your account), but as a credit card on the vendor's side.

This would be a good practice to adopt, and possibly save you some headaches down the road.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

I had a credit card compromised in Canada,I think it happened at a gas station,noticed activity on my account that wasn't mine to the tune of almost 800.00 by the time I caught it,called CC company and they handled it
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by Spade115 View Post
    You can try calling them and say you want to verify the songs you purchased because you might be missing some, and they should be able to provide you with what name purchased the songs and dates. (also luck out and get IP address, maybe)
    Good luck with that... After I was robbed, I bought a new computer. I had spent over $50 buying music off itunes with my old laptop and I called them to try and recover what I had previously downloaded (It was tied to my individual account, not too much to ask, right?). I was told to pound salt as well, I mean, "Sorry ma'am, there is nothing we can do". Except what is in quotes sounds nice, the exchange was a bit rude on their part.

I had a CC that I never used at all in 5 yrs.... and suddenly about $1000 worth of bogus charges showed up on it. Ironically, one of the things was a "download of software" purchase..... LOL.... they traced it and nailed the person.

You don't have to use the card for charges to show up.. ... just having it at all seems to be enough.

Quote Originally Posted by PackerBackerToo View Post
    I had some unauthorized activity against one of my debit cards. All the chasing info was done by the bank.

I contacted the VISA number on the back of the card and they froze/locked it down. I was directed to the bank where I signed an affidavit identifying the charges. The money was immediately credited to my account and I received a new debit card within a few days.

Good luck. I hope it works out better than it has started for you.
    I had the exact same experience last April with my bank.
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

Quote Originally Posted by Spade115 View Post
    I was at a pizza hut, a girl told me 'I have a copy of a receipt with the persons info and credit card number whenever you all want to eat and ar elow on cash we can charge it to this...hehe" (Yes the evil laugh was done)
    And this is the sort of thing you can't ever guard against, except by (a) not using a card, or (b) using "shadow" card numbers that you manage out of existence immediately after use.

Irrespective of card use, I keep my accounts at separate institutions, so that they're not linked. I don't use a DR card. I also have alerts monitoring all activity on my accounts. I frequently check balances. Won't catch everything, but that combination helps me sleep at night. Was targeted for ID theft twice before these procedures, to my everlasting anger and horror (at how ugly it can be to clean up). Since then, not once. Cash, cash, cash.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Mine was taken last week. I got a call from paypal about a purchase. It was their fraud department. I shut down the card. The money is already back in, waiting on the affidavit and new card still.

They can get the numbers many ways. One of mine was stolen before when a hacker got into a retailers system and stole thousands of card #'s. Another time my hotmail, ebay, and paypal accounts were hacked and they tried to buy $12K worth of computer stuff and ship it to, any guesses? NIGERIA!!! Yeah, every hard working American ships their new computer to Nigeria. I don't know how they got this last one.

Also, check your email accounts. This last time we noticed that our email account that gets the electronic account info was hacked. They forgot to reset the password, but they did wipe out every email on the account. We reset the PW to lock them out. We started email accounts just to attach to our bank accounts, paypal, ebay, etc. The last time this happened they hacked our main personal email account. The hassle to get the email account back from hotmail was worse than the bank.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links