Rank these furniture stores

This is a discussion on Rank these furniture stores within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I just bought a new kitchen table. I shopped around and found something that seemed like decent quality and not too expensive. I don't want ...

Thread: Rank these furniture stores

I just bought a new kitchen table. I shopped around and found something that seemed like decent quality and not too expensive. I don't want to say where I purchased it from but can you guys rank these furniture stores in terms of quality.

Please rank from highest to lowest average quality (even if you never purchased from there make a educated guess)

-Rooms to Go
    -Ashley furniture
    -Havertys
    -Macys Furniture
    -Basset
    -American Signature
    -Thomasville

Administrator
    I've bought from Haverty's, Thomasville and Ashley.

I have no idea about the rest.

Ashley is largely pressboard stuff, with construction quality questionable. Some of their stuff is better than others, none of it is exactly heirloom quality. Its fine for kids bedroom furniture or stuff you don't intend on keeping forever.

Haverty's has some nice midline stuff. It tends to be a little overpriced, but you can wheel and deal with them.

Thomasville also has a good mix of stuff. Some is really nice, and other stuff is junk made to look really nice. You really need to see a floor sample before ordering from them. They love to try and get you to buy from a catalog.
    "Just blame Sixto"

No matter where I purchase furniture from, I want to sit in it, lay in it, slam drawers, etc. If they don't want you to touch it, I'd go elsewhere.

I'm sitting on my Macy's couch now... this thing has held up like a champ. My parents bought it about 12 years ago and it got passed down to me when I moved out. The only thing is the main board has broken but it would be nothing to fix if I wasn't so lazy.

I have no experience with the other places though. The Macy's furniture has held up nicely over all the years.

RTG is junk, Ashely is not far off. I have delivered many pieces that were replacing theirs.

Tville and Basset are probably towards the top of that list. At least that is where my experience is. But, you need to look at what you are ordering. Try to get your hands on it. Some of Tville's stuff is just plain junk. I delivered, fixed, replaced, and some times outright brought it back for several years. I do have a sofa that is awesome from them too.

I worked for a pretty high end furniture store for several years. I have delivered pieces that were worth more than my truck! $10K dining tables, $15-20K armoires. I furnished a guys sunroom once, 7 pieces, $17K! A guy at work delivered 2 foyer tables that were $75K! My step dad delivered a dining room suite that was $150K. Some folks have more money than sense. I had a delivery that was $110K dollars, and did not fill up the tractor trailer. That's more than my house cost!
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Um... sorry I can't help. More power to all of you folks who have been responsible with your money. I've made great strides and we're finally out of debt, but I still shop at Goodwill...
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

Senior Moderator
    I just find my furniture on the side of the road and don't use "stores"
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paymeister View Post
    Um... sorry I can't help. More power to all of you folks who have been responsible with your money. I've made great strides and we're finally out of debt, but I still shop at Goodwill...
    Well done and admirable sir.

Quote Originally Posted by Paymeister View Post
    Do you have a habitat for humanity close? Our furniture store regularly donated furniture that was discontinued or slightly damaged to our local habitat thrift store. I do some clothes shopping at the local goodwills when I have time. New shirt for $2, heck yeah!

Out of debt is a good thing. We have been working the Dave Ramesy plan and are 2-3 weeks from out 6 mth emergency fund being done!
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

VIP Member

Shop shop shop shop shop

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    I just find my furniture on the side of the road and don't use "stores"
    Almost everything we have in our home was purchased second or third hand from ads in newspapers, craigslist, garage sales.

We eat on a kitchen set bought second hand and in almost perfect condition. We have a formal dining room with lovely "antique" furniture and beautiful Persian rug all purchased for next to nothing at an estate auction.

Two of the three tables in the office I'm sitting in and the chair I'm in
    were craigslist finds. Only the computer table was new.

Our bedroom set was new-- 35 years ago, and we have replaced only the mattress and box springs with new ones. Needed a new head board when we went from Queen to King bed; found it at a garage sale.

My wife has two pieces of used furniture she is planning to refinish. One is a lovely desk and other a 1930s style filing cabinet.
    She still hasn't told me where she thinks she will put them but she has fun refinishing.

Several of our lighting fixtures are "garage sale" and "estate auction" brass lamps which I rewired and hung to replace the el-junko stuff the builder put in the house.

On a related note, my son has found some interesting bargains in "thrift shops." Particularly, one very very nice wool coat.

It is easy to spend a huge fortune in upscale stores furnishing a house, but it is not necessary to do so.

In the top 100?

Sponsored Links