I GOT SCAMMED--Warning to others

This is a discussion on I GOT SCAMMED--Warning to others within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Short version. I got an email asking for a loan from someone I had corresponded with a few years back and lost track of. He ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: I GOT SCAMMED--Warning to others

VIP Member

I GOT SCAMMED--Warning to others

Short version. I got an email asking for a loan from someone I had corresponded with a few years back and lost track of. He had a sad story, and though I thought he might be full of it, I decided that if he had to resort to begging, I would be kind and help him out.

Well, it turned out the email was NOT from the person I had previous dealings with. Someone hacked his Yahoo account contact list. When I wrote back, my message went to the hacker not to my acquaintance.

I wired 200 bucks to Spain, and then found out that the story in the email --if inserted into a google search engine-- pops up the scam warning. Another friend of mine had almost made the same mistake but figured it out by calling the person who seemingly was asking for money.

Lesson to be learned. Even if you get email from someone you know, verify the request with a phone call or check the story language out with a google search. or both.

I don't know if I will even bother reporting this to the police as the money is now in Spain, and I don't think there is much point to reporting other than for record keeping.

Any LEOs have thoughts on whether to bother to report or not?

2. Remove Ads

Hi Hopyard, sorry for your loss. I would make a report of this incident to LE so they have a record of it. They will pass this on to Federal authorities who can work on this issue. It may not help you get your money back, but it might just shut them down.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Lesson to be learned. Even if you get email from someone you know, verify the request with a phone call ...
    Double-checks and confirmation are crucial, anytime potential loss is involved. Absolutely.

My personal criterion is: if I don't know the person personally and cannot verify either in person or by voice on the phone that he/she is my friend and in need, then the bank is a better choice for that person's financial need.

Words to the wise.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Points for you for willingness to help out a friend, and for warning us.
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

Kudos for being a great friend.........Shame on you for not verifying info first.

Some lessons are free, some lessons are not. I've paid for more than my share so I feel your pain.
    If I gave a crap about what you think about my guns.....it was early this morning and I already flushed it!

Hopyard

This is your old friend retsupt99...remember me?
    I have fallen on hard times...
    The Chrysler 300 needs some repairs, the wife needs another dress, and I'm not sure how I'll make it without another Glock (with Trijicon night sights). The dog's had a few huge vet bills last month and our pile of frozen T-Bone steaks has dwindled down to the last few.

Please send me $200 so that this suffering can be stopped.

Hoping you'll hear my plea for assistance,

ret

-----------------------------------------------------------------
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    Hop,

The only reason that you got scammed is because you have a good heart. I'm sure that you'll get credit for the good deed...the Cosmos is like that...

ret

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    If you wired the money through western union, it probably did not even go to Spain. Once the scammer has the confirmation number, they can pick up the money anywhere in the world without ID.

Administrator
    Hey Hopyard. Can I get $50 from you just 'til next week?

JK/JK

Ditto This: ~~~> "The only reason that you got scammed is because you have a good heart."

You're a good man.

Quote Originally Posted by Paymeister View Post
    Points for you for willingness to help out a friend, and for warning us.
    That says volumes about who you really are. The loss of $200, while it sucks, pales in comparison to being the person you are.

You should feel damn good about yourself when you look in the mirror.

Recently recieved one of these from a friend claiming to be in a fix over in England. I didn't send any money, because we had just seen each other at the local gun shop! Hackers are amazing animals aren't they.

We usually learn best from the mistakes that we make. Hindsight is, after all, 20/20. Often times, one's true colors show through those knee jerk responses that one makes. I'm sure you'll know better next time, however, you've proven where your heart is to your friend and to all of us.
    ...Adam

"If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart, and if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no head." --Winston Churchill

VIP Member

So that's why he asked for the MTCN number

Quote Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
    If you wired the money through western union, it probably did not even go to Spain. Once the scammer has the confirmation number, they can pick up the money anywhere in the world without ID.
    Wow, so now I know why he asked for the tracking number. I figured whoever picked the money up would have to show an ID.

Yikes. Western Union makes it easy for them.

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Someone tried this on me a couple of month's back--only they used my recently deceased brother's email--I was so infuriated, I wished I had them in my sight picture
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    The type of scam has been around a while. It sucks because there are new twists they find to sucker people into it.

Hop: The scammer prayed on your emotions and that makes the person criminal scum dog ****. Hopefully karma will catch up to him/her sooner or later.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Hopyard, you obviously are a good friend and caring person. Thanks for posting this as a warning for others. I had not heard of this particular scam before. Fortunately, it would not have worked on me--not because I don't have any friends, but because I don't have any money to spare! I couldn't help anyone if I wanted to.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links