Durian Fruit

This is a discussion on Durian Fruit within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; My wife grew up eating them, they are heaven for her, I buy it, cut it and run from the house. Many hotels in Singapore ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Durian Fruit

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    My wife grew up eating them, they are heaven for her, I buy it, cut it and run from the house. Many hotels in Singapore and malaysia have "No durien" signs. first time I smelled them was when we turned down a road to the local durien market and I said "There is something dead around here"

By the way Durien farts are very deadly! I am still having PTSD from them!

2. Remove Ads

This video from Bizarre Foods has a clip (that starts at 3:05) about the fruit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o_1q...eature=related

Quote Originally Posted by Jackle1886 View Post
    I'll skip the durian, but would ya pass the kimchi!
    I just tried the Kimchi and yum it's good.
    For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
    Romans 6:23
    www.Jesus-is-Savior.com
    Fundmental Brodcasting Network
    www.ConsitutionParty.org

When I was in Pinang Malaysia on business they had a sign on the hotel to inform management if you would like to enjoy some durian and they would arrange for a table to be setup outside away from everybody. I couldn't bring myself to try it but I did try Balut when I was in the Philippines. That was truely nasty...

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Romans623 View Post
    We did buy some Kimchi that smells and looks good.

I know my wife wouldn't agree to that!

I started eating kimchi in Korea for self defense on my first tour (mid-60s) and haven't stopped since, but being a good Husband I try and do it when the Wife is out. (She won't taste it either)

An asian supermarket opened in my neighborhood about a year ago so I now have access to three kinds of kimchi cabbage, radish and onion. I'm in kimchi heaven!!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

STAY AWAY!
    My friends tried one. It was bad enough that they wrote about it in their blog about fixing up their house:
    Question: What is the Worst Fruit Ever? The Alexs' Blog

He said:
    "if you find yourself on a desert island in the south pacific and find a Durian tree at least you’ll know to beat yourself to death with the spiky fruit rather than attempting to live off it"
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

It's bad alright! IMO it smells like decomposed road kill, and the slimy texture just makes it look all the worse. In Singapore there is a hefty fine for eating it in public.

It smells like Satan's undershorts, and tastes even worse.

I have a Filipina friend who will eat balut, but won't touch durien if that tells you anything.

Joe

I made the mistake of opening the lid on one of the summer kimchi jars that was fermenting to see what the heck was in there...once was enough!
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

I have a friend who is Thai. Her family loves them. Her parents run an Asian grocery in Iowa City. I did not want to try them after smelling them.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I guess I'll be the only one for the other side. I'm Asian, so durian is a fairly common sight for me. I absolutely LOVE it. It's hands down my favorite fruit, which black cherries coming a close second.

It's definitely a love it or hate it experience. I've never met anyone who is in the middle ground when it comes to the taste of durian. You definitely need more than one person to eat it, as it costs $1.50+ per pound and most are 7-10 lbs.

Well today I purchased some Durian Wafers. They were pretty cheap to buy instead of a whole Durian fruit.

The best way to describe the taste is probably an onion that has been in the trash for a few weeks. I ended up eating a few of them. My wife thought the smell of it was horrid. No one else tried them except my daughter and little nephew. They both ate at least one.
    For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
    Romans 6:23
    www.Jesus-is-Savior.com
    Fundmental Brodcasting Network
    www.ConsitutionParty.org

I've had friends describe the odor of this fruit as similar to dirty, sweaty feet. I refuse to eat anything that smells like feet.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links