Bitter taste after eating pine nuts

This is a discussion on Bitter taste after eating pine nuts within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Has anyone else experienced this? I have now had it happen twice after eating pine nuts, where everything I eat leaves a bitter aftertaste. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bitter taste after eating pine nuts

Bitter taste after eating pine nuts

Has anyone else experienced this? I have now had it happen twice after eating pine nuts, where everything I eat leaves a bitter aftertaste. I didn't know what the cause was, but Google is my friend and apparently I am not alone in this. Weird. I can't wait until it goes away! It has lasted about 4 days so I am hoping I can get over it soon. ANNOYING!
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus View Post
    Has anyone else experienced this? I have now had it happen twice after eating pine nuts, where everything I eat leaves a bitter aftertaste. I didn't know what the cause was, but Google is my friend and apparently I am not alone in this. Weird. I can't wait until it goes away! It has lasted about 4 days so I am hoping I can get over it soon. ANNOYING!
    Can't believe I found this in a gun forum! I had the same problem and couldn't figure out what the problem was. Thanks for your post.

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    Risks of eating pine nuts

A small minority of pine nuts can cause taste disturbances, developing 1–3 days after consumption and lasting for days or weeks. A bitter, metallic taste is described. Though very unpleasant, there are no lasting effects. This phenomenon was first described in a scientific paper in 2001. Some publications have made reference to this phenomenon as "pine mouth". This is a relatively new phenomenon and appears to be most common in nuts coming from China. It has been theorized that the nut trees are absorbing something and passing it on to the nuts, or the nuts themselves are being treated with something before packaging. It is also possible that the nuts have spoiled and are rancid, however the foul flavor is metallic and not rancid. Also, it has been hypothesized that this bitter side effect is caused by an allergy that some people may have to pine nuts, but this does not explain the recent appearance of this syndrome. Metallic taste disturbance known as metallogeusia, are reported 1–3 days after ingestion, being worse on day 2 and lasting for up to 2 weeks. Cases were self-limited and resolve without treatment.---From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pine nut - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

might be a tumor...
    It is pardonable to be defeated but never surprised.
    2 Ruger alaskan .454s
    Ruger P95
    Rem 870
    Barrett .50BMG

Distinguished Member
    Weird, but good to know. I was going to recommend swishing with two shots of vodka, on the hour, until the symptoms resolve.

cammo girl - i like where your head's at, but i would recommend bourbon (hic) cuz it makes (hic) the world so much...(hic)...tastier.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined" ~Patrick Henry

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hudsonvalley View Post
    This is a relatively new phenomenon and appears to be most common in nuts coming from China.
    If I ate pine nuts, this would concern me. How many different things made in China have been recalled recently because of lead content or other nasty stuff?
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ScotWarrior View Post
    cammo girl - i like where your head's at, but i would recommend bourbon (hic) cuz it makes (hic) the world so much...(hic)...tastier.
    ^^^^^^^YEP^^^^^^^

Pine Nuts?
    Phoooey!!
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Administrator
    "This is a relatively new phenomenon and appears to be most common in nuts coming from China."

My only suggestion: Don't eat anything that originates from China.

VIP Member

re: QK Shooter

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    "This is a relatively new phenomenon and appears to be most common in nuts coming from China."

My only suggestion: Don't eat anything that originates from China.
    Don't eat what originates in China and try if at all possible to not buy what originates in China. Of course nowadays that is almost impossible.

Let's see, calamity caused with imported wallboard; calamity caused with imported tires; just two examples of where there has been great hidden cost to importing from them.

Old Ross Perot was prescient.

OMG, I want to change my forum name to Pine Mouth, I don't know why, but that strikes me as really funny!
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

Local CSA Organic Nuts. Yep. That'll work.........
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

My uncle had the same symptoms before he died.
    Hitler once said, “The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subject races to possess arms. History shows that all conquerers who have allowed their subject races to carry arms have prepared their own downfall by so doing.”

VIP Member
    You have probably ingested some sort of chinese bio weapon. You will be a zombie by next week. It was nice knowing you.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

I'm sorry, what did you says pines last name was?????
    Stupidity on YOUR part will not necessarily constitute an emergency on MINE!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links