Odd complaint about working out...

This is a discussion on Odd complaint about working out... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; You know how when you weight train you get that "pump?" You know... do a bunch of bench presses and bicep curls and your chest/arms ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Odd complaint about working out...

Odd complaint about working out...

You know how when you weight train you get that "pump?" You know... do a bunch of bench presses and bicep curls and your chest/arms look really cool for the a day or so?

Anyone else notice that a good core workout causes the same pump? I hate that if I wanna workout my abs and obliques and back extensors that they get that pump and push my waist fat out, making me look worse for a couple days. I can't be alone, can I?

PS: I know it's been forever since I checked in with a small group of guys here on the weight loss path... Sorry about that- divorce can be distracting. I haven't fallen off the wagon but have been slowed down by some things. I don't remember where I was at last checkin (probably between 235 and 250?), But I started at 282 not quite two years ago, and currently at 216. How are you guys doing?
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    But I started at 282 not quite two years ago, and currently at 216. How are you guys doing?
    Very impressive amigo.

yeah

i know what you mean. when i'm working my core, i love it - arms and chest look pumped, i feel that good burn, everything's got that kinda tense feeling to it, and your endorphins flowing gets you feeling like a friggin' caveman! awesome - but then you work the abs, and it feels like you got fatter, and those handles get bigger...

try doing situps with hands behind head, but instead of coming straight up, touch right elbow to left knee and vice-versa. additionally, flutter kicks. in copious amounts. then dirty dogs. then crunches. and some good stretching exercises.

weight weight training, anything you do to your abs is actually counterproductive if you want to get ripped. you need calisthenics, plyometrics, that kind of stuff. PM me if you want some detailed stuff to do. congrats on the weight loss - makes you feel like a champ too, huh? notice how much more energy you have? keep up the good work, bro!
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined" ~Patrick Henry

Thanks, guys. It does feel great... I've had a little lapse of diet largely due to a girl I was hanging out with. That's pretty done, so maybe can refocus and drop another 16 and make the 200 mark. Yeah, I keep my ab workout high rep but don't do it as often as I should due to the above reason. Speaking of workout- I'm off to the gym right now.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!

Well, I started out at 186 and now I'm at about 214. I keep munching on those Milky Way and Snickers diet pills (you know the real small ones that come out around Trick or Treat time), but they are not really doing anything for me? I was on the "Wife Watchers" program which didn't really work too well either as she was always watching! Then I decided I would really watch my eating on any day of the week that did not have "DAY" in it, that didn't work either. So I'm still looking for my weight watch program. I tried exercise once and it made me feel bad! What's a fella to do?

Lost 70 lbs; started with a 44-inch waist, now down to a 38. Wearing the suit I wore as a senior in High School now, gained back about 15 pounds, but it is solid muscle.....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Excellent Job, EDR. Hiram...where to start, where to start???

I know what you are talking about Cupcake. I have the same thing happen when I do a good core work out.

My program is going along but, I seem to be in the middle of a metabolic problem at the moment. I had Thyroid cancer back in 2003 and had the thyroid removed. As you know, the thyroid controld your bodies metabolic functions. Mine is a little tricky since I am on thyroid hormoan replacement.

I have to go seem my endicrinologist and see what is going on. I have packed on about 12 pounds of fat in less than a month and that is eating clean and working out 6 days a week. Not normal.

I am currently weighing in at about 188. I'll let you know what I find out.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Oh..sorry to hear that, Mike. I owe you a couple boxes of ammo and some range time if you ever come up here to collect. Ladies and gentlemen: This guy right here was a big source of inspiration and encouragement. Even when I wasn't around for a while, the exchanges we'd already had helped keep my head in the game. Thanks, Bro, I wish you the very best.

Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    You know how when you weight train you get that "pump?" You know... do a bunch of bench presses and bicep curls and your chest/arms look really cool for the a day or so?

Anyone else notice that a good core workout causes the same pump?
    No

I have been working out steadily since Dec 2009. I go to the gym every day but only work out half the body per day. I take a few days off every once in the while. Every day when I leave I am pumped up. I am losing my belly and gaining muscle but I am not loosing weight. My pants are getting baggier and my shirts are getting tighter. I have been the same weight within a couple pounds since December.

As much as I want to lose weight or fat my lower back just won't allow me to do big time workout routines. It really sucks but I am losing flab slowly. I do not feel bloated or swollen like you describe but then again my stomach was or is still a bit flabby.

VIP Member
    Weight lifting has always been 'my thing'. There was a time that I looked like I had a gut because my abs were so thick (honest - now I'm just legitimately fat ;-).

Then I made the mistake of laying off my abs while continuing my regular routine in an attempt to shrink them down. At first it seemed to work, as I thinned out a little, but then the back injury came! Strong abs are essential to protecting and reinforcing your back.

Although I still don't do traditional situps anymore. I've found that laying flat on your back, palms down and doing leg lifts hit the abs more effectively. FWIW...

Good for you! weight loss is so difficult. I am now 315 lbs. it suks to say the least. I have failed with many diets. in fact next month I will be going for the lap band. I am very excited about getting it done.
    S&W M&P 9C
    RUGER LCP
    S&W 5906
    COLT DET. SPEC.
    S&W 686-6"
    "If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck", Author un-known

Whenever I watch people workout I never feel any effects afterward,am I doing sumpin wrong,I'm working on trying to make it to the top of the fridge,think Cookies
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by joecs1 View Post
    Good for you! weight loss is so difficult. I am now 315 lbs. it suks to say the least. I have failed with many diets. in fact next month I will be going for the lap band. I am very excited about getting it done.
    Good luck...
    "Diets" are useless fads and fade. It has to be a complete lifestyle change. To lose the weight fast and SAFELY you need to switch to healthy meals(cutting out sodas, refined sugars, junk food etc...) 5-6 times a day and probably no more than 400 GOOD calories per meal(it's going to depend on your size, weight, age, etc...), LOTS of water, and hard HIT Cardio type workouts for 6 days a week. Keep that up for 3-6 months and see what happens.

I let myself balloon up over 230 over winter(stopped working out and worked on eating junk!) and I'm definitely not going to stay that way. Around one month in and I'm back down to 210 now and have another 40lbs to go...

Good luck to us all...
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links